Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here we go again!!!

If you've read some of my previous post about Red Tide here in Florida with some of the blame going to the State or Florida authorizing waters to be drained down in Lake Okeechobee, as well as the authorization of a defunked Phosphate gypsum stack (phosphate mining by-product that is unusable, so it's stack up in mountains with lakes on the top) being drained off in preparation for the hurricane season. Whereas the draining of such Gyp stack lakes avoids the lakes to overflow with too much storm water and causing a break in it's own levy and therefore causing all of the water to drain out of the lake (yes it's happened before). But their only solution at this point is draining it into Tampa Bay and having it slosh around in the bay with traces of sulfuric acid (thereby killing fish), as well as the added phosphates that energizes and causes massive red tide algae blooms that will trump the massive red tide we had several years ago. They figure that the tide will just haul it out to see. But the phosphates settle to the bottom of the bay and the incoming tides just brings it right back in and spreads it all over. This is getting ridiculous! Who makes this decissions and how do they have the power to do so? Some one has got to step up to these Florida's law makers, stop them in their tracks and educate them how serious of an environmental issue this will cause!. And where is CCA during crunch time, aside from banquets??
:mad:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Developers and business run Florida. Weather it is mosaic or other phosphate companies, sugar down south, nestle draining springs to bottle water it is frustrating and occurs in most states. The common person just thinks red tide is a nuisance and avoid whatever beach it effects during the bloom. The average Joe sees a pretty body of water, they don't see the loss of habitat and marine life that results. I'm not sure how to educate the non anglers and get then involved. I have tons of friends in Florida from living there from 2nd grade through college, most of them are totally ignorant of what we as anglers are aware of!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
445 Posts
It's getting so tough to watch my home state get wrecked every day in one way or the other. I think our current 21 million residents is enough. Please stop the madness

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone have any recollection of the affects of these prior releases? "Spills have happened at Piney Point before. In 2001, Tropical Storm Gabrielle forced FDEP to release 10 million gallons of water into Bishop Harbor. FDEP ordered another release 10 years later after discovering a breached pond liner, sending 170 million gallons of water into the bay."

I don't seem to remember any affects in particular but know that the seagrass in BH is healthier now than I can ever remember and I have been fishing that area since about 1990.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Piney Point Creek enters the south shore of TB between Port Manatee and Cockroach Bay as shown below. The release in 2001 and 2011 must have been through Hells Half Acre at the north end of Bishop's Harbor. I would think a release there would be much worse than Piney Point Creek (although both are bad).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just watched seaspriacy on netflix last night. Once again proving that everything is about money. It's amazing how these corporations that are supposed to be protecting our water and wildlife actually have zero clue what they are talking about and doing nothing. Humans are the worst thing for this planet and will always be.

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
2,126 Posts
Ted they issued an emergency evacuation on the outdoor channel. I was watching Seahunter and the ERS went across. Not good.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scroll down the page on this link where we had the same red tide outbreak several years ago and "they" conveniently timed the release to corrispond with red tide situation during that time so people would just blame it on the "Red Tide." But in fact it enhanced the red tide situation to be one of the worst the greater Tampa Bay, bradenton and Sarasota area has seen in decades. The other times is where they just shipped it and dump it 10 miles offshore thinking the tides would carry it out to sea. But in fact, the tides also washed it into Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas to also see an exaggerated red tide bloom, that was not normal in years past.

Scroll down to see the pics I posted of the Port Manatee/Piney Port phosphate gyp stack water situation and you will see where the pipe was laid to pump out the contaminated water.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm probably in over my head but, if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. Per my girlfriend who works at FDEP in ground water "FDEP is powerless, and this a legally regulated action". In order to have a chance to have your voice heard and have a shot at change we have to write our congressmen. A shot gun approach to state and federal levels seems to me to be the best approach.

That said, please view this link: Effective Communication with a Legislator - The Florida Senate

Florida State Legislature Contacts:

Jim Boyd, Manatee County Senator - [email protected]

Will Robinson, State Representative For Greater Tampa Bay Area - <[email protected]ouse.gov>
Michele Rayner, State Representative For Greater Tampa Bay Area - <[email protected]>
Tommy Gregory, State Representative For Greater Tampa Bay Area - <[email protected]>
Fiona McFarland, State Representative For Greater Tampa Bay Area - <[email protected]>
Jame Buchanan, State Representative For Greater Tampa Bay Area - <[email protected]>

Florida Federal Legislature Contacts:

Marco Rubio, FL State Senator - (no publicly published email I can find in short order): Contact Info - U.S. Senator for Florida, Marco Rubio

Rick Scott, FL State Senator - (again no publicly published email I can find in short order):

Vern Buchanan, US Representative 16th District of FL - (no publicly published email) ONLY 16th District of Florida residents can contact him!

Complaining on FB and a small boat forum are fine, but beyond spreading awareness it really serves no purpose. We as anglers spend countless hours maintaining a boat, trailer, rods, leaders, flies, and other gear in the pursuit of the fish across Florida. What's an hour sending out emails to protect them?

Can someone with more a more legal and politically correct background, create and share a message that can properly communicate a fisherman's (or anyone who enjoys the water) stance on this terrible disrespect to our environment?

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I was just out there because I got an area alert from the Emergency Management Service on my cell phone that said..."Imminent Extreme Alert - Evacuate NOW! Evacuate due to imminent release from Piney Point Stack." This was the exact message. So since I live about 10mins from Piney Point, I drove on down there to see if they were pumping the contaminated water into Tampa Bay. On my route northward, I came up to a road block with 4 Sheriff's vehicles. Stop and asked what the problem was and they said they we not letting people go through from Moccocin Wallow rd in Palmetto, northbound on St Rd 41 Tamiami Trail and southbound from College Rd in Ruskin south on 41. They also said they were pumping that water into the bay. So I went another direct to 41 and also got blocked and several news network reporter were there trying to see what the real story was. What everyone is being told is they had a break in the levy retaining wall and they needed to drain down the lake on top of the defunct gypsum stack at Port Manatee, located on Piney Point Rd. and so that was the reason they "needed to drain it down fast.

This however is a big lie!!! The reason they are draining it is to drain down the lake levels in preparation that there may or may not me a bigger hurricane season than the last 2 years in the area and if the lake overfills with storm water, then it could really break and turn it to even a greater disaster than the slow release of this toxic water over time. So they are trying to mitigate the imminent thread. and what they are also not saying is, by doing it this way, it will save millions of dollars and so this is a cheaper solution. But in fact, it is no solution to the problem at all. And yes, they have no solution and just are trying to take the easy way out. Yet, they are wasting trillions on other unnecessary thing just in the stimulus bill that sends trillions to foreign countries and disregards the massive issues going on in our country right now and in our local community, right now!!

Sulphur Acid, mixed in a slurry of liquid concentrated phosphate fertilizer that is being released right now at this hour to the tune of 20 million gallons each night until it's all drained down. New forecasted numbers are up to 800 million gallons and could go as high as a billion gallons of this concentrated toxic fertilizer, waiting to supercharge red tide algae blooms once the water reaches a constant 80 degrees (and we are getting close to those temps already).

I was told that there was an emergency stay on the release of the discharge, but I had 4 sources tell me that they overturned the stay and proceeded to start the pumping.

Exactly like what they were doing in 2019 when we had that massive red tide just after they pumped the same gypsum stack, below is the layout of what is going on. This was the layout that you could clearly see on Piney Point Rd. You will see the 3ft diameter pipe running from the gypsum stack, running along Piney Point road , out to Port Manatee ship channel, that leads into the main ship channel ditch that runs the center of Tampa Bay. I downloaded these satellite images in real time, from a different source than Google, then marked the points of interest.

Click on the pictures to expand the images.

Port Manatee Contamination.png

Piney Point Illegal Gypsum Stack Pipe.png

Untitled Illegal Pipe from the Piney Point Gypsum Stack.png

1 - 20 of 29 Posts