The Skiff Shop and Ankona Boats

Discussion in 'The Commercial Zone' started by captnron, Sep 15, 2008.

1. captnron

captnron Guest

The Skiff Shop is pleased to announce our new venture with Ankona Boats as the west coast distributor for the Copperhead.

We will be releasing additional information in the next few weeks as we make the boat readily available on the west coast for anyone interested.  

In the mean time, should you have any questions or would like to set up a demo date, please contact:

Mel - mel@ankonaboats.com

Or myself:         ron@theskiffshop.com

Here is the link to the Copperhead for additional information: http://www.ankonaboats.com/copperhead.html

Thanks for your interest,
    Ron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

Re: The Skiff Shop and Ankona Boats "Copperhead"

extra cool.  :cool: Best of luck on the venture, looking forward to seeing one up close and personal too.

I really like the simplicity of the layout. Is there enough clearance for 9' flyrods toward the stern? If not, that would be my only critique at first glance. Otherwise, it looks as clean and simple as a small skiff should be, IMHO of course. :)

3. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Congrats. I like where you are going with that partnership. I have not been on one yet but from what I have read and seen it looks like an effective hull design for flats fishing. The price is right too. Relatively inexpensive hull and motor in terms of initial cost. Also inexpensive to run with a 25 hp motor on it. Especially the 4 strokes.

4. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Good for you Capt Ron and I hope good for Ankona & The Skiff Shop.

Will Capt Jan be doing a Skiff Review on the Copperhead ?

5. captnron

captnron Guest

Thanks guys. I took us a while to get this far and Mel literally put this boat together for me to see this weekend. I'll admit she isn't really ready to show, but it's just finish work and waiting on vendors to ship for the finishing touches.

As you are aware, I have owned a boat or two and originally the Skiff Shop was going to develop it's own hull for the same market. When Ankona introduced this concept, I watched closely to see where they were headed with it. After working with Mel for a while the whole concept of a cooperative effort only made sense. Yes, we are interested in making the boat affordable to the average without compromise to performance.

Thanks for the support.

6. captnron

captnron Guest

Yes, a demo for the review is scheduled for a future date.  :cool:

We are also working on a "show and tell" date on the west coast in the near future and the reason I'm anxious to get a hold of a demo boat ASAP.

7. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

Congratulations Capt. Ron! Looks like a winner. [smiley=1-thumbsup2.gif]
    Will be waiting for further info.

8. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

SEXY!!! Also, please answer Deerfly's question regarding fly rod storage. Or else.... ;)

9. captnron

captnron Guest

OK. Pretty sure up to 9'4" without going through the bulkhead. ;)

10. capt_gordon

capt_gordon Goin where the climate suits my clothes.

What I did was cut holes in the forward section of the rod holders and put PVC tubes in that were long enough to cover the flyrods from the forward rod holder all the way to past the tips. (I think that is a good description...) Anyways, the new boat looks great guys. I have been running mine all summer almost non-stop and it does everything I want it to, which is to fish shallow and get me there with no fuss on the water or on the road. Something to consider with gas being what it is, to drive the 20 minutes to my ramp from my house (about 12 miles or so) and then fish all day I am using about 5 gallons or less between my truck and the boat. Since this boat is so light it is nothing to tow and the 25 two stroke uses almost nothing. I have added a SS prop, some Sea Dek, the afore mentioned fly rod holders and Mel made me some trim tabs and I am about done messing around with it. I also got a Yeti cooler for a passenger seat, forward platform and to keep ice and stuff (duh) and really love it! I don't think you can beat this boat with a ... well you know.

11. madsnook

madsnook Well-Known Member

I noticed in the photos,right under the tiller handle there is a space. is that a possible spot to sprain or break an ankle? I broke mine and it was a real pain so I look at things a bit differently now...

12. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

If you look at the web site http://www.ankonaboats.com/copperhead.html there is a little better picture of the opening. Its meant to run lines to the motor. It would be very difficult to get your ankle in there by mistake.

13. The_Skiff_Shop

The_Skiff_Shop Well-Known Member

I guess it's possible if you manage to get your foot up under the poling platform but Tom is correct in that it allows for quick access to the bilge. We will have pics soon of the optional extended deck that allows for more walking area in front of the platform. The pictures in this thread are of hull number 3 - my demo boat right now ;)

rumblesofthunder,

If you are interested in ordering a boat, I can easily address your concern. I'll simply provide an "access" panel - remember, The Ankona Copperhead is available "custom" ;)

14. Lowroad

Lowroad Well-Known Member

Nice boat, I have been thinking of making a change and am interested. Is that a portable gas tank? Where dose it vent?

15. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

The front compartment is ventilated by some large cutoffs in the forward tub bulkhead underneath the gunnel. In the pic of the portable tank above, you can just see the edge of the cutout under the port gunnel. Those cutouts are almost 3" x 10", in excess of CG requirements.

There is also an option for permanent alum. tank up to 12 gallons under the foredeck, external fill, external vent.

thanx for the interest in our work!

mel

16. Lowroad

Lowroad Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it I see it. Personaly i prefer the poly tank, could change size for the range of the day/week. I am impressed with the finish scheme, more than run of the mill. Have you thought a pocket stern or tunnel versoin. I am currantly running a 15' flat bottom tunnel hull. Love it to death but at times the fish are drier than I am, not bad in the warmer months but a definate drag in the cooler months.

17. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

Lowroad,

Sent you pm about your gas tank.....

18. wannagetskinny

wannagetskinny Well-Known Member

I am interested how does your boat compare to say a gladesmen??

19. The_Skiff_Shop

The_Skiff_Shop Well-Known Member

I owned a Gladesmen and IMHO the Copperhead is a much more stable and versatile platform.

The only thing the Gladesmen may have over the Copperhead is draft by maybe an inch or so.

The Copperhead is rated for up to a 40/50 but performs very well with a 25.  I believe most Gladesmen's are rated max 15 hp.  25 hp and above give us much more option to properly prop her.

We need to set you up for a test rude with Mel since he is closer to you but feel free to contact either of us w/ any questions.

CR

20. capt_gordon

capt_gordon Goin where the climate suits my clothes.

No comparison. Gladesman is a canoe. This is a true skiff. Runs almost 30 with a 25. With a 40 it flies. I can get it anywhere I need it to go and can get it up on plane (here in NC soft bottoms) in any water the motor will go down without touching. Like Ron says, very stable. I walk the gunnels all the time. I don't think you will do that in a Gladesman. Poles like a dream I had to pole a different boat yesterday for a friend. Bleh. Even poled an HPX-T this summer with a different friend, Bleh-bleh. If you are interested in fishing shallow, the Copperhead roolz!