Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has a special boat in their past that slipped away. Mine was defiantly not a microskiff but she was sweet. She was my first build and a 20' Flare hull I chopped down and made a oversized flats charter boat out of before big boats came back in style. She was 8' wide and had a 8x8 front deck and a full width poling platform on her. She drafted a bit much but I could take 4 anglers and still get into shallow enough water to catch tailing reds. I do miss that boat

·
Banned
276 Posts
I always liked those hulls. My parental units had a number of friends who ran those for years. They were built off of Recker Highway in Auburndale.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Everyone has a special boat in their past that slipped away. Mine was defiantly not a microskiff but she was sweet. She was my first build and a 20' Flare hull I chopped down and made a oversized flats charter boat out of before big boats came back in style. She was 8' wide and had a 8x8 front deck and a full width poling platform on her. She drafted a bit much but I could take 4 anglers and still get into shallow enough water to catch tailing reds. I do miss that boat
Any pics?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always liked those hulls. My parental units had a number of friends who ran those for years. They were built off of Recker Highway in Auburndale.
I would love to have another one. It was popped off an old 20 flat bottom Mako hull. It was a tank and Hal Chittum, Flip Pallott and so many others used to love joking me about it. But on rough days I always noticed they were tucked in behind me hwhen we headed for Flamingo from Islamorada,, LOL Hal used to call her the Queen Mary

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,492 Posts
Years ago i saw a skiff in someone's yard for sale. You dont see flats skiffs in Covington GA
I had been looking for one for a while and passed this boat a couple of times before stopping. After contacting the seller i found out it was a small Mako sfiff the had been stolen and the motor and stainless fittings where gone. The boat was solid and looked good. He wanted $1,900 for it. Before i could get back to him he sold it
i stll think of it

Reactions: tarponio

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice! is that one of those old power company fiberglass transformer poles converted to a push pole?
Good eye. I was going to ask a trivia question about that.. They were so freakin heavy but you could stake out in a 40 knot current and not break it.. They were called hot sticks.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Years and years ago... those old fiberglass poles were all that was available... I knew Gus, the guy at Gatorglass who made them for FPL and Hewes (and anyone else who wanted one...). The ones he built for Hewes were all red - but he has the ability to do other colors as well... He could make them any length you wanted but they were pretty heavy so no one wanted a 24 footer.

You could make your own fork and point, but the ones for Hewes came with an aluminum fork and point.

Like I said, this long before graphite (or “carbon fiber”) came on the scene...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea m
Years and years ago... those old fiberglass poles were all that was available... I knew Gus, the guy at Gatorglass who made them for FPL and Hewes (and anyone else who wanted one...). The ones he built for Hewes were all red - but he has the ability to do other colors as well... He could make them any length you wanted but they were pretty heavy so no one wanted a 24 footer.

You could make your own fork and point, but the ones for Hewes came with an aluminum fork and point.

Like I said, this long before graphite (or “carbon fiber”) came on the scene...
that old boat needed one as heavy as it could get so it wouldn't bend while poling. Moonlighter gave me 3 and I broke all of them first time using them. lol I had a family member who worked for FP&L and that's where that one came from

1 - 11 of 11 Posts