Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this debate a few times many years back on here. And I was always heavily fought against my thinking. On sponsons/notched transoms as a marginal at best benefit. As setup by most builders. Now in the last decade. I cannot think of one new good design with sponsons. So it seems the builders finally came around to my way of thinking. It just doesn't make sense on small HP under 60. And the lighter the motor. The less it is a benefit. And in some designs I believe to be a henderence. In actual fishing setup. Kinda like narrow beam sharp entry skiffs. That may ride better for the ten minute ride. But when you step on the bow and start fishing. You are drafting 10 plus inches in the FRONT. Might as well be in a bigger more versatile boat. But that's a whole other debate.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Still using a lot of well boats up here , under 100 hp. Basically sponsons that are connected at rear , transom still at the front of them. More for room to work in stern of boat than flotation I thought.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Before someone ask why they save space. Because my builder built two hulls same LOA. Transom was inset on one model, thereby sponsons are a result. If you take an 18ft hull and add/modify for sponsons then you have a longer LOA. So it depends how they originated if they save space or not.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Sponsors help w/ the float w/ these 4str,help get the bow down a little and sometimes make neat no pump live wells for shrimp and crabs.Also, stability is improved a little

·
Carpe Diem
1,699 Posts
Properly installed sponsons should have little effect while running. At rest, their purpose is to float the stern higher (useful with heavier outboards), reduce squat when getting on plane, and add a little stability. I've run boat/motor combos that benefited from sponsons and some that don't need them.

The above needs sponsons.

Boat below does not need sponsons

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sponsons can help with floatation. If setup properly. When the guy on the platform is heavier than than motor. It makes more sense to have his 250 pound ass in front of the transom. Than having that 150 pound motor in board a couple of feet. And his weight hanging off the back. The problem is almost all builders put the hoop over that big gap in the back. Maverick was the first to really understand this. On some of their skiffs they had the platform in front of the motor. This setup is the only way to gain all the positive benefits of the sponsons. I just noticed HB went to a flat back on the Marquesa now. With the bigger heavier motors it's rated for. I think sponsons would help the draft. But minimium draft was not what they were going for apparently. For the record my last three skiffs had sponsons. I currently have a 01 HB Guide with sponsons. The skiff I am finishing up building is sans sponsons. And man is it so much quieter. I have not built a platform yet. I have just standing on the old Yeti. But my hoop will inboard as far it can be. And still keep the rear deck functional.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
239 Posts
It’s not just motor weight on the back. It’s the total weight. With a sponson transom, I can push 90 degrees at the stern without much effort. The back end won’t keep swinging around like a flat transom, but it’s not often that I’m poling in that direction. So you’re correct that it’s less maneuverable but it isn’t horrid.

I’d prefer a narrow beam and sponsons. Sits flat regardless of who’s on the back, knifes through the chop, and most importantly makes minimal pressure waves through the water. I had a larger flats boat that couldn’t get near shallow water reds in feeder creeks but my current setup will sometimes bump into them.

And, yeah, it fits in my stupidly short garage.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I just noticed HB went to a flat back on the Marquesa now. With the bigger heavier motors it's rated for. I think sponsons would help the draft. But minimium draft was not what they were going for apparently.
Contrary to other comments, I blv HB changed the Marquesa to a straight transom because the heavy 4 strokes made the sponson boats squat. That’s why HB is retrofitting older Marquesas by filling in the notch. I’ve said the Professional/ 178 might run better with an updated straight transom.

My 1st 3 skiffs (one was a 178) had sponsons. I prefer the straight transom due to: ease of poling / spinning to fish, quieter poling when chop comes from behind, less squat, and I blv the straight transom boat doesn’t get pulled down in rough seas & hence is drier.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Has anyone filled in the transom on a 17.8? I’ve seen the mod done on a few Marquesas, but never a Whip/waterman/pro

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
upload_2019-4-20_16-48-15.jpeg

Taking the liberty of reposting a pic from Instagram, which I cropped out of respect to the guy who posted it. This is a 2 degree side console sponson boat with a 40 hp 2 stroke Merc. The guide and sport both look to weigh about 180 pounds. And, the guy no longer owns this boat. He transitioned to a 12 degree boat with a straight transom and slightly heavier 50 hp 4 stroke, yet achieves the same 7” draft.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly Stevie that huge amount of displacement. Removed from the most critical area. Has always been my argument. It's not the total net benefit most people think. Unless the hoop is in front of the transom. I think builders are finally realizing this. The way most boats are setup. You are actually removing displacement. That's why I like the term notched transom. Instead of sponsons as if the were added to the hull. Like they do on the jonboats. Think of it as removing displacement. But carrying the motor further forward. Again this is in reference to poling skiffs with lighter motors. If it's not a boat that you stand over the huge gap at the back. Then it's a gain in displacement. I am not arguing that. It's a very specific application we are talking about here.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
View attachment 70418

Taking the liberty of reposting a pic from Instagram, which I cropped out of respect to the guy who posted it. This is a 2 degree side console sponson boat with a 40 hp 2 stroke Merc. The guide and sport both look to weigh about 180 pounds. And, the guy no longer owns this boat. He transitioned to a 12 degree boat with a straight transom and slightly heavier 50 hp 4 stroke, yet achieves the same 7” draft.
@Stevie i know all about that “transition”! My bank account just doesn’t support it at this present time o_O It’s crazy what new shiny black carbon costs these days...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts