Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think we should organize a microskiff-off:

1) Meet at a neutral location one weekend (somewhere near a bar for afterwards).
2) Can bring any skiff you please, but has to be 18' or less and less than or equal to a 70 HP engine.
3) 5 judges will be picked randomly out of all the entrants, but everyone else will not know who the judges are. Judges have to pick the best skiff, but cannot pick one made by the brand of skiff they own.
4) 3 top categories: best overall, best bang for the buck, best home-made
5) Must evaluate based on the following: speed, dryness, maneuverability, stealth, pole-ability, fishability, fit+finish, draft, cost (or something like that, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few)
6) Anyone who enters gets the opportunity to try each boat in the competition - a round-robin if you will.
7) Manufacturers/dealers are not allowed, only private owners with no sponsorship by the skiff they own.
8) Most importantly, it's a gentlemen's competition. No prizes. Instead, everyone meets at the bar afterward to share skiff/fly fishing stories.

***Perhaps we could do a $25 entry fee per boat / $50 fee for anyone who doesn't bring a boat...and split the proceeds for the bar tab / donate the rest to a good charity. (kayaks, SUPs, etc. can't be entered as a "skiff"...i.e. no john boats or dinghies.

Obviously more coordination and thought needs to go into this, but just got the idea in my head and wanted to pass it along. It'd be a fun way of actually getting this online crew together for a day on the water, and a solid opportunity to see/test other skiffs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would a sub 30hp boat not count as a "legit micro skiff"?
You're absolutely right - I knew I'd take fire from that sentence, haha. I've edited it so as not to exclude anyone and hurt feelings. What I was getting at: no jon boats/dinghies/canoes, otherwise it just gets too crazy. Not trying to exclude anyone at all, so potentially we could divide it into two horsepower categories? Open for thoughts/suggestions in addition to your critiques.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,131 Posts
Have the 18ft 70 hp+class have a poling competition! Pole 100 yards go around a buoy and back. That should be fun to watch with a cold drink in hand!
I'm in but I can not be held responsible if my big fat skiff runs over anyone:(

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,131 Posts
I'm in but I can not be held responsible if my big fat skiff runs over anyone:(
I had another thought. How about I swim to the buoy and back and see if you can beat me poling. I'd have to make sure I don't get run down. At lest the motors aren't running, right!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts