1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
243 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is a FS18. I used the NRS raised oarlocks that are made for whitewater rafts. Without a raised oarlock you would hit your knees since the sheer line is so low. I made a removable console with a carbon fiber grab bar because I do certain stuff that is better with a wide open floor. There has been a few more upgrades since these pics were taken like an anchor fairlead off the bow and a walnut hatch instead of plastic. Thanks for the compliments!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
243 Posts
Yes, it is a FS18. I used the NRS raised oarlocks that are made for whitewater rafts. Without a raised oarlock you would hit your knees since the sheer line is so low. I made a removable console with a carbon fiber grab bar because I do certain stuff that is better with a wide open floor. There has been a few more upgrades since these pics were taken like an anchor fairlead off the bow and a walnut hatch instead of plastic. Thanks for the compliments!
I'm curious now, have you ever posted these pics on the Bateau forum? I would like to see more pics during the build, and with the new hatch. Definitely the nicest FS18 I've seen, and I built one for myself 2 years ago. How well does it row, I would think you can really get it cranking along pretty good with those oars.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
81 Posts
How do you secure the removable console/grab bar? I'm finishing a build of a skimmer predecessor and want to go the same way (and don't want to block the starboard under-gunwale rod racks. Would love to see details and pix.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not posted to the Bateau forum yet. I tried once but their forum is difficult to upload cell phone pics onto. Maybe I’ll give it another try. It does row very nicely with the 9ft counterbalanced oars. I am a flyfishing guide in Door County, Wisconsin and it works great for fishing bays of Lake Michigan and also as a river “power drifter”. I can avoid running a shuttle on many sections of river by motoring upstream and drifting back down. I used some industrial cam-latches to attach the console. There is 5mm neoprene on the bottom so it has a little preload. It is rock solid but removable in seconds. I will post some pics.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,146 Posts
That is an 18 pound Brown Trout caught in Lake Michigan on a fly I tied, attached to a rod I built, while standing in the boat I also built. This is the bragging section of the forum eh?
Still a nice fish. Browns don't look like that down here

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A Hyfield lever, I like that. Did you wrap the carbon fiber tube yourself?
Also, what compass is that ? (same need)
Yes I did make the grab bar. It is a piece of foam pipe insulation with 4 layers laminate. carbon fiber/dyed fiberglass inside and outside layer with 2 layers carbon fiber/Kevlar weave sandwiched between. I wrapped the foam around a 5 gallon bucket for the radius. The compass is a Brunton.

·
BBA Counselor
6,755 Posts
I dig the cross hatch paint scheme. I was thinking about something similar on my build.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts