The big 3. Most difficult to catch on fly?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Str8-Six, Apr 8, 2018.

1. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

no problem....

2. reallyshallow

reallyshallow I Love microskiff.com!

Permit, with out question.

Sabalon likes this.

3. brokeoff

brokeoff Well-Known Member

Just got back from my first trip to the tropics. Went permit fishing for five days in Belize. Tough game. That’s the only fish I went for, so my highly unqualified vote is for permit.

4. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Yeah, their illusive little buggars, tough to find when their laid up. Not even on a full moon! I'm just not into poking around until I find them.

Sabalon, crboggs and Str8-Six like this.
  5. Backwater

Wait....what? That easy huh?

Snook just needs a lil persuasion. ;)

6. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

Was on foot during a paddle event on Sat. Found a nice slot snook pushing around a shore line...got in front of him, laid the fly into his path, waited...waited...waited, twitched the fly, snook turned on it and started tracking, twitched the fly, snook pushed right up on top of the fly, fought the "let it sit or move it again?" mental battle...slooooooowly crawled the fly about an inch...snook turned and swam away...

F'ng snook.

7. mwolaver

mwolaver waterman 16

...slooooooowly crawled the fly about an inch...snook turned and swam away...

Snook no eat a slowed down fly...ask me how I know.

8. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

*lol* Yeah. I had a crabby redfish fly tied on and I didn't think it would look right to make it flee.

The irony is that 90 seconds later, as I was switching flies to tie on a bait fish pattern, a nice red swam right up to my feet and eyeballed me before swimming past. All I had for him were harsh words and a fly box in my hands...

9. Backwater

Laid up snook are like laid up cats. The older they get, the less interested and bored they get with something that doesn't look appetizing and also entertaining. So the shallower and clearer the water is, the more you have to go more natural, but very sparse and just show them a hint that there is something there, without showing them the whole enchilada. Just a whisper of a bait pattern that something may be there or not, that still pushes some water to get their attention. It also has to fall within the bait that they are focusing on in that paticular area at that particular time of year. So don't show them a shrimp pattern when the bait is in and don't who them a whitebait pattern when they shouldn't be around.

My cat is one of those... "been there, done that" kind of cat, the older he gets. He's caught just about anything he could wrap his claws around. He's the king and of course, everyone else are just mere subjects. Lol. That being said, If I throw a hookless fly out in front of him and just let it sit, he'll be bored and just look it or look the other way. If I twitch it some, he may notice and even come and take a look, but will either lay back down or walk away. But if I bump it and that starts him to move closer, I'll start to take it away and the more he moves towards it, the more I'll move it away. The faster he approaches, the faster I'll pick up the tempo and make it run faster than he's coming. The end results is it clicks from a curiosity or feeding instinct to a reaction instinct, which will cause all his inhibitions to drop and will trigger it to lunge at it.

In deeper, darker water, things change.

Ted Haas

T Bone, Str8-Six and crboggs like this.