Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a stripping basket you can make in a pinch, quick and easy that works great and you can be out the door total cost after tax for $2.00!!! :cool:

Here's a fun little beach project you can make when you are there. Funny thing was, I got nods from all the fly fishermen that was on the beach when I fished it for a week on one of the local Island beaches about 3 weeks ago where we stayed for a week on the beach out there (wife and kids) and I forgot my stripping basket and needed to come up with something quick in a pinch. So here's what I did. I ran to the mainland to the local Walmart to come up with an idea that I could whip together in a few minutes.

Go to your local Walmart. Go to the "HOME" section where they have clothes hampers. Buy the cheap 98 cent white hamper shown below.

Then go to the "TOOL" section and buy a 87 cent pak of 8-9" long white zip ties.

Zip tie the zip ties on the sides of the 1st rail that runs around the basket, pointing inward at a 45 degree angle, pointing inward and upward (notice the finish basket). Space them around the ring ever 4-6" or so +/-. Next take a sharp knife and poke small slits up thru the bottom of the basket, just big enough to tightly but firmly push the zip ties up thru the bottom and space them evenly around the bottom of the basket. Make sure you pull the zip tie firmly up till the little square thing stops it. There is no reason to cut 2 slits and zip tie them back thru the square locking mechanism. You should be able to use up the rest of the zip ties doing this. I then cut all the zip ties down to 6" each, but you can leave them long if you like.

Take an old belt and put it thru one opening near the top rim of the basket and go over several openings and then put the belt end back thru that hole. Wrap and buckle it around your lower waste and buckle it loose, so it can be adjusted. I like it to my stripping side, on the side of my leg where the top is about where my side pocket opening ends and the bottom of the basket where my knee is. Then I adjust it slightly angled towards the front of me and the opening rotated downward about 30 degrees so my stripping hand can throw the line in without touching anything.

The end result is that it weighs nothing, costs hardly nothing ($2) and I can strip line in like it's not even there and it holds the line in almost better than any stripping basket I've owned. It also keeps the line from tangling. Especially with intermediate lines, you shouldn't beach fish without a stripping basket of some kind due to the sand getting on and sticking to your fly line, coupled with the breaking surf on the sand and your line in the surf breaking on the sand is like dropping your line into the clothes washing machine and tangling it all up.

Use it for fishing beaches, passes where the tide rips, rock jettys, wading, bass fishing ponds or lakes from the shore where your fly line gets caught on the grass and weeds, in your canoe, Gheenoe, standing on your casting platform in front of the skiff, fishing in the back of the boat where your line can snag on everything, or night time fly fishing where you can't see where your fly line is going.

Ok, it doesn't look like something that came out of a fly fishing magizine or an F3 video, but it works well and it's cheap and easy to make!

Tight lines and have fun with it, if you don't already have a stripping basket. ;)

Ted Haas

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
1. This is awesome
2. What year (approx.) and model is that 3-Tand, it looks slightly more grey/matte than the one I have? Could just be the lighting...

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1. This is awesome
2. What year (approx.) and model is that 3-Tand, it looks slightly more grey/matte than the one I have? Could just be the lighting...
It's last year's model. It's pretty much been fished hard and beat hard. I'm trying to use and abuse this one to see what she can take and it keeps on ticking and clicking off the fish numbers without a hitch!

Back on topic, every fly fisherman I've seen on the beaches lately are not using a striping basket at all and every one of them ran up to me and wanted to "Ooo and Awe" the basket, not the snook I've been catching! Ha! So far, I've gotten "thumbs up" from all of them and I've left my other stripping baskets at home. Lol You might think it looks lame and goofy, but I'm having fun with it and the way I keep it position, it doesn't even feel like I have one on me as my hand is throwing the line in the direction as if there were no basket and just throwing it on the ground. The wide mouth tilted forward keeps my stripping hand from touching nothing and the angled zip ties catches everything I throw into the basket without letting it fall on the ground. I also notice that I can walk around without flyline falling out of the basket, like some baskets allow.

I'm getting nothing but nods, smiles and compliments about it and they all laugh when I say I only had $2 cost of materials and 5 minutes in making it!. ;)

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts

Here is mine. Pops up stores flat, cost $4. I had the bungee cords to attach it to the Yeti straps

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
Hey, I got one of those and use it on the deck! Lol
Lonely I was so lonely I had no Tarpon to call my own. Stood on a platform yes a platform away from home with no Tarpon to own..

Sung to Bobby Vinton's I'm mister lonely:(

Reactions: Backwater

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, who out their broke the piggy bank and made you a $2 Stippiing Basket? Or, are ya embarrassed to admit it! Lol ;)

Believe me, it's works great! ;)

·
Small fish, Big tales
224 Posts
Just wanted to give kudos to this thread. I went ahead and made my own $2 basket. This one is a bit smaller, but was designed that way for backpacking and to fit in my carry on duffel. Definitely going to come in handy for my upcoming west coast trip.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've tried smaller baskets and it's hard to keep the line in it. What I liked about that basket I used above is it's wide in the opening and you don't have to concentrate trying to feed the line into the little basket and then keep it all in there without the line spilling out. It looks goofy, but it works.

I also just got in a folding hamper that is small enough to attach to my hip (just below my hip) and hangs down to my knee. So I'm going to try that out too. I paid $4 for it.

·
Small fish, Big tales
224 Posts
I've tried smaller baskets and it's hard to keep the line in it. What I liked about that basket I used above is it's wide in the opening and you don't have to concentrate trying to feed the line into the little basket and then keep it all in there without the line spilling out. It looks goofy, but it works.

I also just got in a folding hamper that is small enough to attach to my hip (just below my hip) and hangs down to my knee. So I'm going to try that out too. I paid $4 for it.
Yeah, it's definitely a niche basket. I looked pretty hard for something slightly larger, but would still work for travelling.

Granted, I could try and find a Walmart out in San Diego, but this is the lazy way out.

In the future, I'm probably going to make a larger one.

Regardless, these El cheapo stripping baskets are what I'm going to use from now on.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
281 Posts
Cracks me up!
$200-800 for a rod...same again for a reel. $20+ for backing $75+ for a line. $125+ for good polarized glasses. Standing on a $400 ice chest on a well your guess $$$ flats boat and lets make a $2 basket? I bet yall buy Old Mill by case as your beer preferred beer. Maybe spent your wad on all that other stuff and nothing is left over?
Don't get me wrong I don't have deep pockets at all and built at least three fall apart stripping baskets before springing for a Linekurve and couldn't be happier with it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
363 Posts
Ted, BB does have a good point. I also will admit I have a 90$ sea level basket i would not trade for the world.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Bob, don't knock it before you try it. It's worth the $2! ;) I've tried a lot of things and I know the concept is goofy. But if you were fishing without a basket of some sort, would you naturally strip line in to a little area in front of you or out to the side? This basket hangs down below your waist, out to your side and tilts outward and you just strip the line in it like it wasn't there.

Hey, like I said, it was a situation where I needed a stripping basket in a pinch. So this is what I came up with and it worked. Just wanted to share it with others as a fun little project that can come in handy from time to time. No one laughed at me when I was on the Bradenton beaches catching snook with it, especially when they had nothing. And all the fly rodders came up to me and wanted to see it up close.

You don't always have to sport around the biggest and best in order for something to be functional. I really don't care what people think of me when I'm fishing or what I fish with. And my 2 favorite stripping buckets is a collapsible laundry hamper and a jelly bean shaped laundry hamper. They work good for me.

Ted Haas

·
I Love microskiff.com!
281 Posts
Trust me, if I went on the road and discovered I forgot my basket I would find the nearest Wal-Mart and make one. As I said I have already made several but they just don't last.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts