Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of poon stick related threads going round lately. Since the holidays are over, now is prime time to get some good deals on the auction sites and classified sections. Especially on some tarpon setups. There seems to be a growing trend of guys switching to 11 wt rods for tarpon over the 12 wt. I have heard great cases for both but wanted to get some input from you guys. A recent trip with a highly regarded tarpon guide in Boca Grande who says he primarily uses 11 wts even when world record hunting had me thinking about swapping my 12wt for an 11wt. Whats your vote?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
To me it would only makes sense if its a situation where I'd be doing lots of casting. Then an 11 would be easier to throw. But I have never been in any situation, poons or any other fish, where I was doing lots of casting with a 12 wt.

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me it would only makes sense if its a situation where I'd be doing lots of casting. Then an 11 would be easier to throw. But I have never been in any situation, poons or any other fish, where I was doing lots of casting with a 12 wt.
But would you say that there is noticeable difference in fighting power? If it is a little easier to throw and has a slightly softer presentation, would that outweigh the loss in lifting power?
I ask because I have very limited tarpon experience....but I hope to gain some this season. I don't throw to big fish often enough to have both an 11 and 12, so I want to have the best all around big fish stick. Currently I throw a 10 & 12 wt Sage xi3 for big fish.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Every time I think about swapping my 12 for an 11 i go out and cast my 12. Once I've done that a bit it gets comfortable and I don't want to switch anymore. Now, last season's lesson was that I can't cast from the front of a skiff in the wind and waves anywhere near as well as I need to, and that had me wondering if an 11 would have been easier to handle.

Removed from the scenario now, I don't think it would have made a difference. I'd love to blame the rod but the truth is I was in a scene that is still foreign to me, trying to cast at gigantic fish that made my knees shake and my hair stand on end... I doubt I was going to get it done with any rod. I know that's right because one instance found me in front of chaining fish and once I missed a shot or three I actually screwed up the nerve to calm the hell down and focus. Next shot got eaten and, well, let's just say it's lucky I didn't fall off the boat out of sheer panic/excitement! Yep, screwed that up too. But not cause I didn't have an 11 instead of the 12.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
53 Posts
With the 12wt I like the idea of being able to land a fish as quickly as possible. Hopefully by doing that we give that fish a better chance for survival afterwords. In windier situations that extra power can also be helpful trying to punch through the wind. On the other hand I feel that the slightly lighter rod makes a big difference when making lots of casts. I don't think fighting power is a huge issue unless you plan on fighting lots of 100+lb fish. Most of the tarpon I get into are in fairly shallow water and unless they get out into the passes we can fight and land them in fairly shallow water. You can land some pretty damn big fish on that 10wt. As mentioned before I think getting a stick and practicing as much as possible is the most important thing to do. Test a few rods if you can and find what feels good. Then practice with it. Being confident and comfortable with a stick is huge when casting to dinosaurs. Take into account where you plan on fishing the most. Everything is compromise in this game. They are both good tarpon sticks, my favorite is 1pc 11wt. I can't put it on a plane but thats my favorite.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
But would you say that there is noticeable difference in fighting power? If it is a little easier to throw and has a slightly softer presentation, would that outweigh the loss in lifting power?
I ask because I have very limited tarpon experience....but I hope to gain some this season. I don't throw to big fish often enough to have both an 11 and 12, so I want to have the best all around big fish stick. Currently I throw a 10 & 12 wt Sage xi3 for big fish.
Same setups I use. However my buddy Austin has an 11 and I have cast it. Its a really sweet rod and I hope to use it this spring when we chase the poons.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I read an article (can't remember where) about choosing between a 10,11, and 12wt rod for tarpon. The statement was that for every reason you would choose a weight, then that reason would also be the bad thing about it. For example, if you chose a 10wt, it would be a lot lighter and in turn, easier and lighter to cast. On the other hand, that rod may be too light and you would need to go to a 11-12wt (if you feel like it).

Not sure if that made sense lol. I haven't really fished for big poons, but based on everything I've learned I would go with an 11wt because its the "best of both worlds".

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,185 Posts
The thing about migrating poons is you don’t get to chose the size of fish that’s going to slurp your bug. You put the fly in front of the most happy and likely to eat fish in a string or pod regardless of size. In late season last year I caught a south bound fish out of a school of slow rollers. There were fish from 40lbs to 150 plus. I hooked and leadered a fish on the upper end of this. I leadered the fish in 15 mins with a 12wt, but to tell the truth if I could have chose a rod for that fish I would have opted for a 14wt if available.

I haven’t heard to many people wishing they had a smaller rod to fight a poon, but I have heard many more wish they had more rod.

You just never know.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No doubt the fish picks you but I'll give you a story where I wish I had a smaller rod to fight a poon. ☺ so after getting my butt kicked off the beaches last year I went to an out of the way spot where there were rollers from 10-100+ lbs. Thinking I was bound to hook a monster I was throwing the 12. Instead, the fish in my avatar ate. He jumped a few times then ran under the boat while I just kinda held the rod thinking "where do you think you're going?" Haha. A couple seconds of that and he was back on my side, jumping again. Three or four leaps into it he jumped in the boat. Caught!! Anyway, that would have been a hell of a lot more fun for me on a 9. But then I probably would have hooked the 100 lol.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
Here's a story of both. Last year I was throwing to a pod of daisy chainers in the Marquesa's. Luckily I had a 10 wt. I had to throw for about 20 minutes virtually non stop till I got a fish to eat. I was happy I had the 10. After that, I had my ass handed to me on the 10 - wish I had a 12.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,628 Posts
Here's a story of both. Last year I was throwing to a pod of daisy chainers in the Marquesa's. Luckily I had a 10 wt. I had to throw for about 20 minutes virtually non stop till I got a fish to eat. I was happy I had the 10. After that, I had my ass handed to me on the 10 - wish I had a 12.
Good story. I think everybody that tarpon fishes long enough will have a similar story. Mine was the reverse scenario and happened at the intersection of a couple small creeks off the Shark River with Capt Bob Lemay a few years back. I was not physically prepared to repeatedly cast an intermediate 12wt sinking line with one of his huge Tarpon Snake flies. The combination of weight and my incompetence had me struggling to cast 30' in short order. That just wasn't enough space for the fly to sink down to the fish holding in the outgoing current. By the time Capt Bob broke out a comparable 10wt set-up that I could cast far enough the window of opportunity had closed and we watched the tarpon swim out to the Gulf. Maybe if I had started with an 11wt I might have caught one that day.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
23 Posts
Lots of poon stick related threads going round lately. Since the holidays are over, now is prime time to get some good deals on the auction sites and classified sections. Especially on some tarpon setups. There seems to be a growing trend of guys switching to 11 wt rods for tarpon over the 12 wt. I have heard great cases for both but wanted to get some input from you guys. A recent trip with a highly regarded tarpon guide in Boca Grande who says he primarily uses 11 wts even when world record hunting had me thinking about swapping my 12wt for an 11wt. Whats your vote?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
23 Posts
interesting discussion on fly tackle....I have been active in fly fishing myself years ago. I wanted to see if there would be any general interest in my boat. I am selling my Ankona Gen 2 Copperhead. Great shape and garage kept. Not sure if it is best time of year to advertise. No formal ad posted yet.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,370 Posts
Good story. I think everybody that tarpon fishes long enough will have a similar story. Mine was the reverse scenario and happened at the intersection of a couple small creeks off the Shark River with Capt Bob Lemay a few years back. I was not physically prepared to repeatedly cast an intermediate 12wt sinking line with one of his huge Tarpon Snake flies. The combination of weight and my incompetence had me struggling to cast 30' in short order. That just wasn't enough space for the fly to sink down to the fish holding in the outgoing current. By the time Capt Bob broke out a comparable 10wt set-up that I could cast far enough the window of opportunity had closed and we watched the tarpon swim out to the Gulf. Maybe if I had started with an 11wt I might have caught one that day.
Can you imagine blind casting a 13wt all night long, making 80-120ft cast with huge mullet flies on a sinking lines, in high currents, windy conditions and rough water (and trying to keep your balance so you don't fall into shark infested black waters) and fighting big poons (anything under 100lbs would be considered a little fish) in 45ft deep of water with hardly a jump? The big girls were over 140 and never jumped. Those were the days.... We had to do lots of push-ups and lots of rowing to stay in shape back then. It was freakin nuts! Lol

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
For the fishing I do I should probably use a 15....seems like I don’t cast much and they kick my ass in the fight.
I'll bet you a case of beer you can't put max pressure on a tarpon with your 12wt let alone a 15wt. Have you done the spring scale test to see how much pressure you can make? Most guys have no idea what it takes to put 7 or 8# pressure on a fish and a good big game fly rod can take up to 20# depending on the rod. Very few guys can come even close to using that power....I sure as heck can't!! But then I am a weenie.....lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'll bet you a case of beer you can't put max pressure on a tarpon with your 12wt let alone a 15wt. Have you done the spring scale test to see how much pressure you can make? Most guys have no idea what it takes to put 7 or 8# pressure on a fish and a good big game fly rod can take up to 20# depending on the rod. Very few guys can come even close to using that power....I sure as heck can't!! But then I am a weenie.....lol
Now that might be the best argument yet in favor of stepping down from a 12. I've said myself that I wanted the stopping power of the bigger rod, and it's true that is why I went the way I did. I've pulled on (been pulled on by, really) some big tarpon on spinning gear. 120+, heck one I jumped and lost after a few minutes was probably close to 180. Knowing what that feels like made me want all the power of a 12. BUT. Can I exploit it? Anyway, if you think about it the max pressure you can put on a fish is probably going to be dictated by the class tippet anyway, isn't it? Clearly you'd want that to fail before the rod. Hmmm.... maybe there's something to this 11 weight idea after all...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts