Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any fishing reports for the Blue Ridge/Ellijay area? I'm scheduled to be up there the 26th, 27th, and 28th. I have heard the rain has been ridiculous since the New Year and before. How is the fishing? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: flysalt060

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah, has been a lot of rainy days and a lot of heavy sustained rain. My driveway is needing some work... Anyway, should clear up within a day in most streams or the river. When I drove along the Toccoa yesterday it was real high and running hard. I haven’t been out myself but have pulled over several times the past few weeks and the guys I saw were doing well. Both Horseshoe Bend, Curtis Switch, and then the delayed harvest section and above around Newport. Hiked over to the swinging bridge on the Toccoa last week and a couple guys their camping/fishing said they hadn’t had any luck. Guy a know was at Rock Creek last week and said he and others were catching a lot of really nice ones, less so as Coopers Creek. Neither are where I really like to fish though. Haven’t talked to anyone hitting the other streams recently.
Also, this is going on while you are scheduled to be here:
https://blueridgetroutfest.com/

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, has been a lot of rainy days and a lot of heavy sustained rain. My driveway is needing some work... Anyway, should clear up within a day in most streams or the river. When I drove along the Toccoa yesterday it was real high and running hard. I haven’t been out myself but have pulled over several times the past few weeks and the guys I saw were doing well. Both Horseshoe Bend, Curtis Switch, and then the delayed harvest section and above around Newport. Hiked over to the swinging bridge on the Toccoa last week and a couple guys their camping/fishing said they hadn’t had any luck. Guy a know was at Rock Creek last week and said he and others were catching a lot of really nice ones, less so as Coopers Creek. Neither are where I really like to fish though. Haven’t talked to anyone hitting the other streams recently.
Also, this is going on while you are scheduled to be here:
https://blueridgetroutfest.com/
Rock Creek....that one is up in mountain goat territory with the hatchery at the end of the road correct? If so, I have been there before.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Rock Creek....that one is up in mountain goat territory with the hatchery at the end of the road correct? If so, I have been there before.
Yes, turn just past “Deep Hole” on the Toccoa. Heavily stocked area and always a good spot for kids to get some. Copper Creek is just across on the other side of 60. Also hugely popular for the weekend campers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The Ga DNR has stocked brook trout this year in some of the mountain streams, so there's a good chance you could get bows, browns, and brookies....That would be like getting trout, reds and snook in the same afternoon.
Good luck on your trip1

·
Registered
28 Posts
Come down and fish Lanier, striper are post spawn and still in the shallows. Also spots are schooling on points. You have a spot on my boat if you are interested.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. The weather is looking iffy the three days I'm up there and tent camping in the rain is not very attractive so I had to cancel the trip.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Sorry if this is a hijack: I'm thinking of planning a trip up that way. What months are generally best for trouting? I haven't been up that way in over ten years, but I remember catching a few hatchery rainbows in the Toccoa in I believe May.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Steamers for big wild browns on the Toccoa from Oct- Dec. fish full sink lines during a release and you will be golden. Generally speaking that river fishes well all year except when they are sluicing and realeasing water from the top of the lake

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry if this is a hijack: I'm thinking of planning a trip up that way. What months are generally best for trouting? I haven't been up that way in over ten years, but I remember catching a few hatchery rainbows in the Toccoa in I believe May.
I've done well on my trips in April and in November. I'm think my next trip up may be in October.

Reactions: SomaliPirate
1 - 14 of 14 Posts