Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to know what is out there - any TFO mangroves ? Or Clouser Rods ?

Thanks !

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Got a Clutch Arc 7 wt. I'll make you a deal on....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good to hear flyslinger, actually havent casted a clouser before - how would you compare to mangrove ? faster ?
Yes, faster but lighter. Partly because the older model Clouser's like mine are just 8'9" long. Mine will pick up 20' of line off the water and shoot it 50' with one backcast. No chatter in the tip with weighted flies.

·
Reel Florida Fishing Charters
261 Posts
I've got an Orvis Helios 1 I would cut loose $225 shipped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the offers guys , guess I should have put TFO in the thread title - still looking for a mangrove 6 WT - thanks ! ( would also be interested in an Axiom 2 specifically)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
7 Posts
I have a TFO 6wt mangrove I'll sell. I have it as a backup but I'll sell for $125.00. I'm in Clearwater if you're interested.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
I've got the 5wt BVK and the 7wt Clouser (9'). I know that straddles the 6wt you're looking for, but I can tell you that I like them both. Both are paired with Cortland Flats Taper lines at the moment.

What I've noticed, at least when comparing 7 and 8 weights: the Mangrove is a little slower action than both the Clouser and the BVK. I still wouldn't call it a "slow" rod, maybe more of a moderate action. The BVK seems slightly faster than the Clouser, but not by a whole lot. The big difference (for me) between the Clouser and BVK is that the BVK feels "crisper" if that makes any sense. It might be because it's a little lighter; I don't know, I'm far from an expert. Also, I drew these comparisons between a 7wt Clouser and an 8wt BVK and Mangrove, so that might make a difference. All had true-to-weight lines though, except the Mangrove might have been just barely over weighted.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them unless you have a very specific style of rod that you prefer to throw, so I wouldn't limit yourself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got the 5wt BVK and the 7wt Clouser (9'). I know that straddles the 6wt you're looking for, but I can tell you that I like them both. Both are paired with Cortland Flats Taper lines at the moment.

What I've noticed, at least when comparing 7 and 8 weights: the Mangrove is a little slower action than both the Clouser and the BVK. I still wouldn't call it a "slow" rod, maybe more of a moderate action. The BVK seems slightly faster than the Clouser, but not by a whole lot. The big difference (for me) between the Clouser and BVK is that the BVK feels "crisper" if that makes any sense. It might be because it's a little lighter; I don't know, I'm far from an expert. Also, I drew these comparisons between a 7wt Clouser and an 8wt BVK and Mangrove, so that might make a difference. All had true-to-weight lines though, except the Mangrove might have been just barely over weighted.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them unless you have a very specific style of rod that you prefer to throw, so I wouldn't limit yourself.
Thanks for the info Bryson, good to hear comparison between these 3, i have only cast the mangrove and know that i really like it, heard the axiom 2 is really good as well - currently i'm not into a very fast action but i have also not cast the clouser or BVK - really need to get my hands on one of each to try !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts