Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

· Registered
5,905 Posts
I've been with Charter Lakes now since 1996 and have an agreed value coverage (the only way to go for an older skiff in my opinion). They've been super - can't say enough good things about them for commercial vessels. Wasn't aware they'd cover recreational types, very interesting... Did they want a marine survey at all?

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I've been with Charter Lakes now since 1996 and have an agreed value coverage (the only way to go for an older skiff in my opinion). They've been super - can't say enough good things about them for commercial vessels. Wasn't aware they'd cover recreational types, very interesting... Did they want a marine survey at all?
they did not require a survey, but they did ask lots of questions regarding the build process, my experience, the plans, etc. I had to send pictures of the entire build process.

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,258 Posts
If you run into clearance issues. I worked with the Uflex guys about this problem of hitting the transom with jackplates. They had another adjustable fitting I thought could remedy the situation. They ran it through engineering and pressure tested it on a steering system. The engineers gave it the green light for use for steering. Here are the fittings
Hand Finger Sleeve Gas Wood

Gesture Gas Nail Thumb Cable

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,258 Posts
Flush because the hydraulic fittings for steering cylinder usually have very little if any clearance when the outboard is trimmed up enough to be out of the water when poling. Some will actually hit the transom depending on what configuration. Last thing you want is more transom in the way. I’ve added jackplates to some skiffs and the outboard had to be lifted to the highest holes and fittings had to be tweaked so they didn’t hit.
Yep Atlas Micro jackers have the perfect setback. Where your fittings are directly over the transom 😩

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Awesome work man and quick too! Good to know on the insurance also. Cant wait to see it with the platform on.
I do have a question though. Are you worried at all with how high that transom is? Not sure how heavy the tohatsu is but with the JP and all do you think itll be plenty sturdy?
thanks! Fair question. I would have preferred the transom kick up not be as high, but there just aren’t many 15” motors around. I believe it will be strong enough, that coosa 26lb board is very stiff. It’s also very dense and embedded with glass. I also heavily reinforced that area. If it starts cracking, I know will know how to fix it myself.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
If you run into clearance issues. I worked with the Uflex guys about this problem of hitting the transom with jackplates. They had another adjustable fitting I thought could remedy the situation. They ran it through engineering and pressure tested it on a steering system. The engineers gave it the green light for use for steering. Here are the fittings
View attachment 223750
View attachment 223751
Thanks Jonny. If I have clearance issues I’ll get with you.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Today was a great day!! Splashed the boat for the first time. She did really nice, and everything went smoothly.
Motor is breaking in but I did open her up some. With the heavily cupped jack foreman prop she will run all the way jacked up and still bite, very little if any cavitation. The prop is really holding back the rpms some I believe. She cruised around at 4800-4900 rpm wide open. She just got up to 5300rpm all the way jacked up (top speed 32).

if you have any ideas on the rpm/ speed I’m getting id love to hear. I feel as though it’s a bit lower than expected.

overall the first run went great, she jumps up on plane easily, runs really dry, everything went very smoothly!

· Premium Member
4,250 Posts
Today was a great day!! Splashed the boat for the first time. She did really nice, and everything went smoothly.
Motor is breaking in but I did open her up some. With the heavily cupped jack foreman prop she will run all the way jacked up and still bite, very little if any cavitation. The prop is really holding back the rpms some I believe. She cruised around at 4800-4900 rpm wide open. She just got up to 5300rpm all the way jacked up (top speed 32).

if you have any ideas on the rpm/ speed I’m getting id love to hear. I feel as though it’s a bit lower than expected.

overall the first run went great, she jumps up on plane easily, runs really dry, everything went very smoothly!
Get her broke in and run it some more playing with JP and trim angles vs loads. Then come back to dial it all in. Not bad numbers for a first run, rpm’s could be higher though.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts