Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Texas tunnel Conchfish

14364 158
I have watched lots of builds on here and instagram and it has really motivated me to build a Conchfish. After lots of months of watching, within the last few weeks i sold my Towee, bout the plans from Chris and bought some second hand used stations from another guy in Texas. They were cnc cut by Josh Glidden, and very nice. I’m happy to have bought them used. It saved me a ton of time and it’s much more accurate than I could have cut, plus they get to make a second boat

Iam going to keep a conversation going here for anyone interested. I’ll be doing my best to post lots of pictures, updates, and I’ll definitely be having lots of questions.

Some details on the direction I’m planning to take it.
-Conchfish 17.8 with tunnel
-all composite (carbon core)
-I will probably go epoxy/ poly or vinyl/ poly
-small side console
-Yamaha 40
-full floor with front and rear hatches
-12v removable trolling motor

I live in west Texas, so no salt right around me. I do make it down to the Texas coast at least several times a year and I bass fish a lot where I live.

may 16, 2022. I got my shop electric finished yesterday and got lumber to start the strong back. Spent a couple hours designing it in my head and got some boards cut. It will sit about 22 inches off the shop floor.

Dog Pet supply Collar Carnivore Dog breed
121 - 140 of 159 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Automotive tire Hood Waste container Waste containment Asphalt

Light Product Camera lens Font Lens

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Gas

Not a ton of pretty pictures to post this last week, but things are progressing. Trying to really pay attention to detail In this stage and think of all the little finishes to make the boat nice.

Got the cap glassed down to the hull. Used 2 layers of 3” tape. More so to protect the exposed foam from the router than anything. The flange is already stiff from the 6 layers of existing glass. Around the splashwell I glassed the cap down with 4 layers. I glassed the HECK out of the transom/splashwell/ cap joint. Probably 14 pieces of small glass. Hopefully this will keep me from getting any cracks with trailering over rough roads, or hitting oyster shell, whatever.

The side console is completely built and first coat of fairing applied. I built a piece to tilt the helm more toward the driver to make the steering wheel more comfortable. I don’t care for the really flat consoles for that reason, feels like driving a school bus. I found some really nice looking switches that install with a backer nut. I routed out a space in the front of the console for the switches.

My deck and lids have been routed out to recess the hinges. I’ll tape up and wax the hinges. Fill the recessed area with thickened epoxy, then press the hinge down to (hopefully) get an exact recess.

System 3 paint and primer has been awesome to work with. I would highly recommend it to anyone doing this. I’ll end up using almost 2 gallons of primer for the entire boat. Probably 1.5gallons of paint or so. I ordered a gallon of tbe ever tek “medium” non skid as well.

· Registered
1,114 Posts
View attachment 221477
View attachment 221479
View attachment 221478
Not a ton of pretty pictures to post this last week, but things are progressing. Trying to really pay attention to detail In this stage and think of all the little finishes to make the boat nice.

Got the cap glassed down to the hull. Used 2 layers of 3” tape. More so to protect the exposed foam from the router than anything. The flange is already stiff from the 6 layers of existing glass. Around the splashwell I glassed the cap down with 4 layers. I glassed the HECK out of the transom/splashwell/ cap joint. Probably 14 pieces of small glass. Hopefully this will keep me from getting any cracks with trailering over rough roads, or hitting oyster shell, whatever.

The side console is completely built and first coat of fairing applied. I built a piece to tilt the helm more toward the driver to make the steering wheel more comfortable. I don’t care for the really flat consoles for that reason, feels like driving a school bus. I found some really nice looking switches that install with a backer nut. I routed out a space in the front of the console for the switches.

My deck and lids have been routed out to recess the hinges. I’ll tape up and wax the hinges. Fill the recessed area with thickened epoxy, then press the hinge down to (hopefully) get an exact recess.

System 3 paint and primer has been awesome to work with. I would highly recommend it to anyone doing this. I’ll end up using almost 2 gallons of primer for the entire boat. Probably 1.5gallons of paint or so. I ordered a gallon of tbe ever tek “medium” non skid as well.
Damn, man!! This is gonna be a bad ass Texas build. Can’t wait to see it on the water!

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Well, the hull is completely finished, from a glass and fairing point. Feels really good and I’m really happy with it. Plenty of imperfections, most of them only I will ever notice.

I got the top primed on Saturday with 2 coats. On Sunday I flipped it back over to prep for paint. I spent several hours sanding first with 180 then 220. Got all the brush strokes and runs out of the primer. Filled some pinholes, and sanded out all the epoxy drips. Im hoping this puts me in a good spot for a nice paint job. My plan after talking with the folks at system 3 (they are awesome at answering questions and giving advice) is to roll 2 coats, wait a day, sand, then roll another 2 coats.

anyway, here’s some pictures

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Been so busy the last week I haven’t taken much time for pictures or posts. The paint is all done. Rolled and tipped 6 coats on the bottom with some sanding in between a couple. Turned out ok, looks great from 5 feet away. The inside was sprayed with an airless sprayer. If I was doing it over again I’d have sprayed the entire thing. Only took 3 coats and looks better. The non skid is ever tek medium grit from usc. Mixed it in the paint and rolled it right on.

I had my dad and a buddy here helping this weekend which was awesome. We got a lot of rigging done yesterday which I’ll show in another post.
Wood Automotive design Interior design Floor Automotive exterior

Boat Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Wood Automotive exterior

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Rigging and wiring moving right along. The trim tabs and transcucer mount are installed. Screwed into the doubled coosa, with 4200. SS boat buckles are in, those things are nice! My lights are all wired, got LED nav and anchor lights, and some cool under gunnel lights.

My dog Scout was a big part of this build. He spent hundreds of hours in the shop right at my side. I thought it was only right to put his paw print on the boat.

Did some adjustments to the trailer bunks and set up. Took it out of the shop for the first time, after making sure it was well insured!! (Which was much harder than expected).
Building Hood Asphalt Automotive tire Wheel
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Pet supply Road surface

121 - 140 of 159 Posts