Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
25 down on a small sf, hard money for the rehab on a property with significant deferred maintenance. Don't do it if you can't fix everything and end up with 15K plus in captured equity and a few hundred positive cash flow after piti. Make sure your rent can be fifty under market and still be four bucks for every three dollars of piti. That means you can get the best mortgages until you have ten or run out of cash. Rinse and repeat.

Best cash flow is on the smaller properties. Need a mentor. As they say, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My vote is for the HPXT.I put a jack plate on mine for another reason.If you motor is fixed you can't get the shaft deeper into the water.I was running the intercoastal when a big ship came by.There was not enough shaft/propeller in the water for steering.I was "surfing" out of control.If you want to run "skinny" you will need Smack's low water pickup or you will go through impellers like Christmas Cookies when running all the way up.Also when your motor starts overheating the rpm's shut down.I named my first boat "Push".Get the low water pickup!
Happy New Year
Doc

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve moved back to Texas (where I grew up) and I’m looking for a skiff to fish the Corpus Christi and surrounding areas. I’ve been lurking here a while and have been looking at a lot of skiffs. I originally thought I might buy new, but I’m looking for a home and don’t want to finance anything currently until I have the home front secured.

I see a lot of skiffs on here, especially used ones, and all kinds of claims for where they’ll run and what will poll well. I really would like to pick the right skiff the first time and not feel I have to immediately start looking for something different. I’ve spent a decent amount of time fishing this area both wading and from a kayak, as well as a few guided trips. I want to sight fish red fish primarily with a fly. I want a boat that will get me into those skinny flats but still be able to get me back to the ramp in the ever present windy choppy waters that surround the lower Texas coast.

What boats would work well for this? I’ve seen a couple used boats that interest me, but I sure don’t want to buy them and find out they don’t work well. I’ve got up to mid $30’s to use for this.

Thanks for any advice.
I have an Avocet for sale.It is the best all around boat for the coast.It is not fun to pole!However Chuck Naiser the Original/Famous Rockport Fly Fishing Guide Fished and poled out of it for 10 years every day.I am asking $26,500.I don't know how to add pictures on the reply.512-461-2209 for pictures.Go to New Water Boats Website for hull information.Sorry for the shamless pitch but it is a great hull for the Texas Coast.

·
Registered
932 Posts
25 down on a small sf, hard money for the rehab on a property with significant deferred maintenance. Don't do it if you can't fix everything and end up with 15K plus in captured equity and a few hundred positive cash flow after piti. Make sure your rent can be fifty under market and still be four bucks for every three dollars of piti. That means you can get the best mortgages until you have ten or run out of cash. Rinse and repeat.

Best cash flow is on the smaller properties. Need a mentor. As they say, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Best advice I have seen in a good bit!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That’s a nice idea if I knew where the heck to buy a rental property for $35k. Things seem a bit higher than that these days.
Ironically, you happen to be moving to one of the best short-term vacation rental markets in the entire state. I just bought a short term rental property in Rockport and not only did have three good years of rental income when I bought it, but it continues to basically pay for itself and provide me some tax write off. Corpus and north padre all have a good rental markets, as does Port Aransas. The problem right now is that there is very little inventory available and property appreciation is crazy right now. My property has gone up 25% since I bought it a year ago.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I was probably going to buy that boat. I think the hull is probably a great choice for Texas but I was out of the state when I started this thread. Two days before I was going to go down and look at the boat someone else bought it. But as with everything, I’m sure another good boat will pop up.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts