Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Reviving this thread in reference to the low water intake screens that Jack Foreman designed. I talked with Jack yesterday and he is now making them for a variety of motors. I'm getting a set for my 70 2-stroke and will add my experience after installation.

I recently installed the trans sport plate on my outboard. Still trimming and sanding a little bit to make sure it clears the sponsons. Performance is excellent. The plate sat in my garage for a year and I can't believe it took me so long to get it installed. Hole shot, minimum planing speed, performance all the way up on the jack plate, etc. are all greatly improved. It also helps to plane the skiff out and I find myself using tabs less.

View attachment 101290

View attachment 101292
How has you skiff been running with the trans cav plate now? have you noticed a world of difference like we all have?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Couple questions, does the material of plate matter,I have access to make it from aluminum pipe and plate?will I gain success with only running 25 hp Yamaha 4 stroke?my outlaw runs shallow but there are some places I regularly go that I feel I can benefit from this.already have jack plate and my tabs are tucked under boat,with plate up I reach desired rpms and speed but water pressure is low and I don't want to burn engine up,its new.any help would be appreciated

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,572 Posts
Couple questions, does the material of plate matter,I have access to make it from aluminum pipe and plate?will I gain success with only running 25 hp Yamaha 4 stroke?my outlaw runs shallow but there are some places I regularly go that I feel I can benefit from this.already have jack plate and my tabs are tucked under boat,with plate up I reach desired rpms and speed but water pressure is low and I don't want to burn engine up,its new.any help would be appreciated
As long as you use thick enough aluminum for it to not flex it should be ok but I’d use TefGel on the stainless fasteners so you don’t have dissimilar metal corrosion. The more the sides turn down the better and make the front far enough forward to catch all the water that rises from the transom so it’s not going over the top and spraying everywhere. This will help water pressure but I can’t promise it will fix it completely.

·
Registered
842 Posts
As long as you use thick enough aluminum for it to not flex it should be ok but I’d use TefGel on the stainless fasteners so you don’t have dissimilar metal corrosion. The more the sides turn down the better and make the front far enough forward to catch all the water that rises from the transom so it’s not going over the top and spraying everywhere. This will help water pressure but I can’t promise it will fix it completely.
Galvanic corrosion was my concern also but will be a factor with bolts through engine foot any way,is it ok if plate protrudes foward toward transom or should it be flush with front of bottom unit?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,572 Posts
Galvanic corrosion was my concern also but will be a factor with bolts through engine foot any way,is it ok if plate protrudes foward toward transom or should it be flush with front of bottom unit?
1/4” will be fine. How far forward the plate extends depends on how high your motor is and where the apron of water hits with the motor jacked all the way up and trimested out. Test this without a plate to know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great Thread--I actually talked to Jack today about getting a new prop and Cavitation plate for my hpx-t. He said to get the largest shaw wing I could fit. I was really leaning towards tran just because they look so much cleaner. Trying to make my mind up now.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Great Thread--I actually talked to Jack today about getting a new prop and Cavitation plate for my hpx-t. He said to get the largest shaw wing I could fit. I was really leaning towards tran just because they look so much cleaner. Trying to make my mind up now.

I'd go with what Jack said. He has probably done MANY HPX-Ts.

Reactions: hookset

·
I Love microskiff.com!
212 Posts
This is a Nevski foil. Ted Winders made it before he died.
0ED59E98-EF63-4C54-85D1-E97AF527AEB1.jpeg

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
212 Posts
Nedski foil

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
For what it is worth, on my non tunnel Conchfish build I may go with no cav plate, a low water pickup and a custom prop. On a non tunnel I really don't think a plate is doing much when you are running with the jack plate up. It is probably out of the water and not directing anything towards your prop or intakes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
For what it is worth, on my non tunnel Conchfish build I may go with no cav plate, a low water pickup and a custom prop. On a non tunnel I really don't think a plate is doing much when you are running with the jack plate up. It is probably out of the water and not directing anything towards your prop or intakes.
Jack would not agree with this and I do not either. It changed the game for me from overheating to not at all at any point.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I built this a few weeks ago mostly because I wanted something that did not bolt through the engine and wanted something to fit inside the notch of my Cayenne. Pretty happy with it so far didn’t want to use gel oat on the first one but the next one I make I will. I threw some paint on it and it looks a lot better. I’ll grab some more pics tomorrow of it painted.
850B4828-4B0B-4ADD-985E-8C6DC2FF70CB.jpeg
17619950-24D9-4418-9CFF-E4563C41213F.jpeg
366DE0D3-5EAA-424B-A570-A4D9ED9D7737.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Shaw on a pro with no tunnel. Really like it, helped quite a bit in overall handling, get up and water intake. Would never run again in Texas without one.
That actually looks so much better than the ones earlier posted on this thread.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Jack would not agree with this and I do not either. It changed the game for me from overheating to not at all at any point.
Maybe. I had Jack out on my Spear tunnel with a Trans cav plate and we just couldn't get the take off where it needed to be. This had more to do with what you can get accomplished with a 30 horse outboard than anything else. What I can tell you is that I could run my engine so high with his prop that the cav plate was completely out of the water. Completely.

Reactions: backcast

·
Registered
872 Posts
Maybe. I had Jack out on my Spear tunnel with a Trans cav plate and we just couldn't get the take off where it needed to be. This had more to do with what you can get accomplished with a 30 horse outboard than anything else. What I can tell you is that I could run my engine so high with his prop that the cav plate was completely out of the water. Completely.
Jack runs a Spear tunnel, right? Tohatsu 50? How is his set up?

81 - 100 of 120 Posts