Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what kind of power is available or internet and cell service, but I believe we are all looking for a check-in from our Texas Fly Fishing friends from this Microskiff Fly Fishing Forum. I personally want to make sure you guys are ok or if you need help of some kind. So please check -in on this thread, this includes any near coastal guys who have also been hit hard in the surrounding areas, like LA or MS.

How bout it sjrobin, do you have a copy?

Also, any "first hand" reports on hurricane Harvey's direct damage or aftermath flooding in your area.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,537 Posts
My 20 acres north of Victoria is ok, lots of debris blown around. My buddy is going by there this afternoon to double check. I'm in Seguin east of San Antonio and the Guadalupe River is rising. 28 feet is out of the banks and 45-50 feet is forecast...
Port O'Connor is not as bad as anticipated, my buddy sent several videos of his property and there is minor wind damage and the surge did not make it there yet.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,488 Posts
Thanks for asking about our status Ted. We have had historic rains here about 25 miles from the coast near League City. Last night early AM we were about six inches away from water getting into the house. We still have power and all services here and my friends and family are all dry. I am fortunate to have no family members and only one friend that actually lives on the coast. Several have second homes or camps (they know what can happen) but they don't live on the water. We are at the mercy of the tide levels in the Galveston Bay complex at this time. We are fortunate Harvey did not push tidal surge to predicted levels due to the storm's rapid formation. We were fishing Mesquite Bay Wednesday afternoon in a negative tide. There are a lot of people here with water in their homes and will continue to be more I am sure. Donate to the Red Cross if you guys want to help.

Thanks again,

Steve Robinson

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm sitting pretty in Atascocita NE of Houston. My parents own 25 acres east of town and the property is under water. With as much rain as forecasted to come down in the next few days it may get into their house.

I know a few people in the League City/Dickinson area and some around Alvin that aren't doing so good. There is a lot of water coming down and a lot more to come.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm here on the south side of Choke Canyon Reservoir which is about the half way point between Corpus and San Antonio. Its still windy/rainy but nothing like Houston or the coastal areas. Haven't lost power, water or cell/internet. No serious flooding.
A guy I work with bought a house in Rockport a couple years back and has been putting a ton of work into remodeling it. Yesterday he sent me a few pics of the aftermath. A big ol' tree in his front yard came down but missed his house. The new roof, is still intact. But theres a bunch of broken windows and the side of his garage is now lying in his front yard. Really minimal damage considering the location.
Unfortunately his neighbors' home (maybe 50 yards away) was not so blessed. It is now an unrecognizable pile of wood and debris.
Growing up in western WA we dealt with flooding every couple of years, but I have never seen anything remotely close to the rain fall totals that are resulting from this system. Measuring rain fall in feet is completely bonkers. Tragically it doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon.

·
Carpe Diem
1,889 Posts
Donate to the Red Cross if you guys want to help.

Thanks again,

Steve Robinson
The Salvation Army also does a very good job. Last year during our flood they were the only charity with any major presence. Their large mobile kitchen was parked at the community center for over a week, serving meals to any who needed. They also provided survival packets of necessities, ice, drinking water, propane, etc. I can't say enough good about these guys.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Always on the alert for major disasters where boats/skiffs are needed.

This is me back during Katrina in one of the wards in NOL where no one was willing due to all the shooting going on, to go to help find and get people off of roof tops.

http://s723.photobucket.com/user/teamhaas1/media/P1010161.jpg.html

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww239/teamhaas1/P1010160.jpg

http://s723.photobucket.com/user/teamhaas1/media/20.png.html

http://s723.photobucket.com/user/teamhaas1/media/P1010245.jpg.html

We got a lot of people into safety, working with all the Coast Guard, Fire Depts and Nat'l Guard. There were more dead bodies floating that you ever want to know (or the press was allowed to report).

I hate to think the same thing has/will happen in TX. So we are hoping and praying for the best!

·
Panhandler
2,908 Posts
Your PB links aren't loading, Ted. Here's one from the USA Today gallery from Houston, I believe. Looks like the push poie was damaged.

Mode of transport Atmospheric phenomenon Vehicle Snow Wheel

Attachments

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Salvation Army also does a very good job. Last year during our flood they were the only charity with any major presence. Their large mobile kitchen was parked at the community center for over a week, serving meals to any who needed. They also provided survival packets of necessities, ice, drinking water, propane, etc. I can't say enough good about these guys.
During Katrina, it seemed the Red Cross wasn't doing anything, but the Salvation Army was doing a lot and was there for the people. Also, there are a lot of church and christian sponsored First Response Disaster Reliefs who were on the scene helping anyone in need.

So guys, get involved with donated or being involved with one of those Response teams or organizations.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Feel sorry for you Texas guys. A buddy of mine in port a sent me some pics. Big boats sunk at the dock and marinas tore up. I'll be praying for y'all!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,537 Posts
My little boy and ex are in town camping out with another family and in good shape, my house is unscathed as well as 28 big oak trees. God is great.

Colden in full storm gear...
Mud Water Puddle Vehicle Fun

The NE side of my house.
Property Siding House Roof Home

Neighbor's old oak tree 200 yards away from my house. I think a twister was to blame. He also lost two porch awnings.
Tree Grass Vegetation Sky Lawn

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
coconutgroves (Keith)?
I'm here. I have had reports from family and friends down there. I am in Austin, on the outside of the major storm, but we still have experienced 12" of rain in the past 3 days. Any other time, that in itself is a major event. It's fallen to the east and south of our hill country. 30 miles NW and we would have our own disaster here. Austin flattens out halfway through town from rolling hills and numerous rivers that all flow into one area, where the rain falls can be a life or death situation.

I've seen pictures from Houston with more boats than cars out on the roads. Unbelievable, this is an event of a lifetime and for history.

Middle to lower coast was not hit as hard. Reports out of Rockport and Port A are devastating. Topography plays a major roll in this. From Corpus south, there are typically higher sand dunes between the inner bays and ocean side. This also benefited from being on the west side of the storm. Port A also benefits from higher topography, plus a sea wall on the south east side. But once you cross the Port A jetties and venture into shared water with Rockport, the topography flattens and you have lots of low lying marsh islands. Some of the islands are also narrower. Rockport also has a wide open bay in front of the city - nothing to break any wind or waves.

Now add that the epicenter of the storm hit this area. I still haven't seen or heard from anyone in Port O Connor, but they were also on the bad side of the storm. There is a lot more topography there is also more diverse than Rockport - sheltered parts of the bay, lots of islands, wider islands at the ocean, higher islands in some areas. The water gauges in Port A showed a 6 foot rise in sea level. That same water hit Rockport. Baffin Bay, some 30 miles to the south west, only rose 1.5 feet.

To be honest, I am still in shock. I am an Austinite and 43 years old. Lived my entire life in Austin and fished here on the lakes and the coast since I could hold a rod. Never ever seen anything like this in my lifetime. Neither has my dad, or my grandfather in his life.

It is astonishing that the forecast last weekend was a strong Cat 1 hitting Corpus. That changed to a Cat 2 mid early in the week, then a Cat 3 by Wed night / Thursday.

It ended up being a Cat 4. Add onto that two high pressure systems keeping it stationary for several days, with Houston to the east on the wettest part of the storm. For anyone who has never been to Houston - it is a flat concrete jungle for the most part. It doesn't drain well because there is nowhere for the water to go quickly. Any strong rain always result in massive floods. But there are several million people in the greater Houston area - how do you call for an evacuation? They did it before post-Katrina to be safe (during Rita), but didn't do it this time. The calculations and warnings on this storm were off. Not all off, but off enough where the perfect storm has resulted.

Long post, my apologies - just stating my perspective and watching this unfold. I have family in Corpus and in Houston (one person is in the major tornado alley that has resulted from the storm and has spent 1/2 their time in the closet the past 3 days). Guides I know left town to be safe.

Red Cross needs some help, so if you can, make a good donation. This is going to end up being one the largest, if not the largest, natural disasters in US history.

G

·
I'm a long way away in west ky but we are dry. Dryer than normal.
I've got a hunting camp that sleeps 8-10 with hvac and sat Tv and all modern convenience.

We can handle a family or two that needs shelter for a few weeks.

I know it's not much but if anyone needs safe harbor let me know.
BM, Great offer! Glad to have you as a fellow forum member!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your PB links aren't loading, Ted. Here's one from the USA Today gallery from Houston, I believe. Looks like the push poie was damaged.

View attachment 15096
Thats My Buddy Andrew White in the shadow cast that we share. He rescued well over 100 people today. I'm working on the medical side managing patient care. Lots of water here in Houston and it looks like in could be a very long night followed by a long week. Home and family dry for the moment but if waters keep rising we're all going to get wet.
-jamie

·
I Love microskiff.com!
497 Posts
I'll post some pics later. Spent Friday night worried about our POC camp, got word it was fine while watching my house flood and trapped upstairs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thats My Buddy Andrew White in the shadow cast that we share. He rescued well over 100 people today. I'm working on the medical side managing patient care. Lots of water here in Houston and it looks like in could be a very long night followed by a long week. Home and family dry for the moment but if waters keep rising we're all going to get wet.
-jamie
and yes - gonna need a new push pole...

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
My little boy and ex are in town camping out with another family and in good shape, my house is unscathed as well as 28 big oak trees. God is great.

Colden in full storm gear...
View attachment 15131

The NE side of my house.
View attachment 15132

Neighbor's old oak tree 200 yards away from my house. I think a twister was to blame. He also lost two porch awnings.
View attachment 15133
Glad you and your family are safe smack daddy and goes for all you texans. From Florida.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts