Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

321 - 340 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Look at your last two skiff’s and go with what you obviously like simple tiller....

If not you might not even remember where to fish in the backyard anymore by the time it’s done!

You know me well. Maybe I'll stick with a tiller but bump up the horsepower.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Got her flipped over. The first few tries we were lifting the strong back off the ground. She wasn’t having any of it. So I got underneath and unscrewed two of the stations. The next try she popped right off carrying the two stations along. If there is a next build , no more blue tape for me. The clear packing tape releases so much better.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
What is everyone's preference on front deck length? If I choose to use my old stations for a pattern, I will get the following

Station 7 - 6'-6" deck, leaving open floor of 7'-9"

Station 6 - 8'-3" deck, leaving open floor of 6'-1"

I wish I would have measured the Spear before I sold it. It was about perfect for my taste. I want to say it was around 7 foot.

Reactions: GatorTrout

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I really liked the 7’ on X-Caliber! You’ll have to measure and loft or make templates for your bulkhead but felt about perfect!

Reactions: Sublime

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
What is everyone's preference on front deck length? If I choose to use my old stations for a pattern, I will get the following

I wish I would have measured the Spear before I sold it. It was about perfect for my taste. I want to say it was around 7 foot.
Yeah, it definitely doesn't need to line up with a station. It's convenient if it does, but it's not that tough to template one out of cheap foam or cardboard.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts

I would think a 6'6" front deck would be plenty of room. Sometimes more cockpit space can be nice for camping/hunting

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Yeah, it definitely doesn't need to line up with a station. It's convenient if it does, but it's not that tough to template one out of cheap foam or cardboard.
Yeah, I'll probably split the difference and leave 7 foot on the floor and the front deck with come out close to 7 ft with the overhang of the lip. Have never done it in all my years but the idea of camping in the skiff appeals to me. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #330 (Edited)
I'm going to put this out there. I am building a rolling cradle now for my Conchfish build. So in a few days, I will be looking to pass the strong back and stations on to the next sucker, ummm, I mean skiff builder. A few caveats:

1) you must have already purchased plans
2) you must take the strong back and stations
3) I am in Angleton TEXAS , just south of Houston
4) I bought plans before the 17.5 plans were available. I spaced my stations out on 20" centers instead of 18" centers. The total length of my skiff with the cap on is going to end up around 18'-3". I'm positive my skiff will perform fine, but again, I tweaked things in order to achieve the length I wanted.
4.5) I built my transom station with the curve but ended up just doing a straight across transom. I think the forms for the rounded transom will get you where you need to be if you want to go that route.
5) The strong back itself is about 17 ft long, so you will need a trailer.
6) I'd like to get a little cash for the materials I have in it. If I charged for the time, we'd be up into the five figures.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
That's a deal! If you are looking to build, definitely worth a drive and material costs.
Hopefully soon. Next step is to load it onto my lowboy and back it into the barn. Eventually I’ll need my trailer and if it’s not gone I’ll dismantle it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Well, I couldn't take it anymore. I have to get back at least one side of my garage, so I started dismantling the strong back. It has suffered fatal wounds I'm afraid. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Sublime i am in Lake Jackson do you have anything left using? I would be interested. Let me know thx.
Not really. I really needed that strong back out of my way so I dismantled it. I got to thinking that, in a way, the stations were somewhat custom. So they are on the burn pile.

Come check the skiff out sometime.

Reactions: SeaDrifter

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
224 Posts
Yessir, up the road in Hockley. Not sure I could fit a Conchfish in my 3rd car bay for a build, but considering options. Was even thinking a Bateau or Salt Boatworks build, but lumber doesnt seem any easier of a material than foam for a first timer.
10-4, you're only a little over an hour away. In fact the gf was looking at horse there Friday. I'm going to remind her that when I buy an outboard for $5k that her and her friend think nothing of dropping $8k on a horse lol.
Who would have known we are all close by.? I am in Bryan/College Station (where Project Skipjack is being built) and Seadrift. If y'all need anything, I have a pile of goodies literally collecting dust.

Michael

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
My Conchfish PERT chart has had a new task inserted. Completion date pushed out. Fence building commencing.

View attachment 137716
Bro, that's a change order. You need to talk to the Minister of War and Finance about additional funds to cover the schedule push... I'm thinking tabs or nice jack plate for compensation at a minimum.

321 - 340 of 351 Posts