Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

301 - 320 of 351 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Hey, was just reading back through and realized... we never got the destructive testing results!!!:D

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Hey, was just reading back through and realized... we never got the destructive testing results!!!:D
I know right. I did take one piece out and shoot them with a 22lr. One piece of 3/4" core with 3 each layers of 300 gram basalt twill on one side and 3 layers of 10oz on the other.

Bullet didn't even slow down at 25 yards. My next test is to take the same piece out and shoot it with 12 gauge bird shot at a glancing blow. That is probably a more representative test. Maybe.

B

·
0 Posts
I know right. I did take one piece out and shoot them with a 22lr. One piece of 3/4" core with 3 each layers of 300 gram basalt twill on one side and 3 layers of 10oz on the other.
Bullet didn't even slow down at 25 yards. My next test is to take the same piece out and shoot it with 12 gauge bird shot at a glancing blow. That is probably a more representative test. Maybe.
Yeah, ballistic testing won’t show much honestly. Lay it down on the lawn and drop a big arse rock on it! Spank it with a BFH. That’ll give close to real world input.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
So I have all 3 layers of basalt on my hull and it came out awesome. I’m adding a layer of 10 oz on the running surface just for good measure and have run into an issue. My roll of 10oz has some wrinkles and I played heck last night trying to get them out. My last ditch effort was coming along and smashing them down when the epoxy was very tacky. I’ve talked with @JC Designs and @bryson. Wonder if anyone else has suggestions. The guy at US Composites recommended maybe even running an iron over the cloth pre installation. That and applying resin and letting it get tacky then lay the cloth down. And I thought the 10oz would be a piece o’cake after mastering the basalt lol.
8E813196-C0A6-421A-854A-299DEA7D9F13.jpeg

·
Baton Rouge, LA
101 Posts
Do the wrinkles stay if you run a plastic scraper over them while the fabric is dry?

I'm able to wet out the opposite side and pull tension across anything like that with poly resin, but I don't know what to do with epoxy. Maybe peel ply?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Do the wrinkles stay if you run a plastic scraper over them while the fabric is dry?

I'm able to wet out the opposite side and pull tension across anything like that with poly resin, but I don't know what to do with epoxy. Maybe peel ply?
Didn't try a scraper with dry cloth. Tried stretching that section with my hands, tried moving the cloth around with a scraper and a LOT of pressure, but the wrinkle would just come back. Looking at it this morning , it looks like no air under the wrinkle but I can definitely feel it with my hand. Not the end of the world with what I'm doing now, but when I move to the inside I don't want the same issue to fight with.

Reactions: JC Designs

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
@Sublime sorry I am no help in your current situation.

Where did you order your foam from?
From Carbon Core. I'm using the .75" PE. I may have 4 or 5 sheets left over, but I'm afraid to part with them until I' close to finished. You're in Texas right?

Reactions: JC Designs

·
Registered
485 Posts
From Carbon Core. I'm using the .75" PE. I may have 4 or 5 sheets left over, but I'm afraid to part with them until I' close to finished. You're in Texas right?
Yessir, up the road in Hockley. Not sure I could fit a Conchfish in my 3rd car bay for a build, but considering options. Was even thinking a Bateau or Salt Boatworks build, but lumber doesnt seem any easier of a material than foam for a first timer.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Yessir, up the road in Hockley. Not sure I could fit a Conchfish in my 3rd car bay for a build, but considering options. Was even thinking a Bateau or Salt Boatworks build, but lumber doesnt seem any easier of a material than foam for a first timer.

10-4, you're only a little over an hour away. In fact the gf was looking at horse there Friday. I'm going to remind her that when I buy an outboard for $5k that her and her friend think nothing of dropping $8k on a horse lol.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #313 (Edited)
Well, the cake is frosted. Starting Thursday night I’ll knock the chunks down and do some initial sanding. Then if I can get enough guys over I’ll lift it off the strong back Sunday. Final tally on resin for the hull was about 5.5 gallons. The fairing took an additional almost two gallons I’m guessing and most of a 3 gallon pail of 3m glass bubbles.

I took my flange support that you see in previous pictures off and it left me with a really nice and uniform edge. I'm totally happy with the result. After it is flipped, I'll fill that gap in with putty and round it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, the cake is frosted. Starting Thursday night I’ll knock the chunks down and do some initial sanding. Then if I can get enough guys over I’ll lift it off the strong back Sunday. Final tally on resin for the hull was about 5.5 gallons. The fairing took an additional almost two gallons I’m guessing and most of a 3 gallon pail of 3m glass bubbles.

I took my flange support that you see in previous pictures off and it left me with a really nice and uniform edge. I'm totally happy with the result. After it is flipped, I'll fill that gap in with putty and round it off.
The sad part is, you end up sanding off almost all that fairing. Looking good.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
I need to decide on a layout soon. For most of this time I have been leaning towards a 30 horse tiller, with the two boxes at the stern and open front bulkhead. This would be a super light and super simple skiff.

But now .........., I'm leaning towards the full-meal-deal. Floor, front and rear hatches, side or center console and a fitty horse. The reason I am leaning that way is that because although most of my local runs are short, I want to drag this thing to Louisiana in the winter. My twins live there now and I would probably be making some longer runs.

@bryson is shaking his head because he has heard this so many times.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
I need to decide on a layout soon. For most of this time I have been leaning towards a 30 horse tiller, with the two boxes at the stern and open front bulkhead. This would be a super light and super simple skiff.

But now .........., I'm leaning towards the full-meal-deal. Floor, front and rear hatches, side or center console and a fitty horse. The reason I am leaning that way is that because although most of my local runs are short, I want to drag this thing to Louisiana in the winter. My twins live there now and I would probably be making some longer runs.

@bryson is shaking his head because he has heard this so many times.
Good news is that there's no wrong answer -- going to be a sweet skiff any way you cut it!

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
Fish or cut bait, fish or cut bait? :D Looking good!

I love my side console and 60 Merc. More maintenance, yes, but I can get as skinny as the fish are and it doesn't take me an hour to run to a far-off spot.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Fish or cut bait, fish or cut bait? :D Looking good!

I love my side console and 60 Merc. More maintenance, yes, but I can get as skinny as the fish are and it doesn't take me an hour to run to a far-off spot.
Yep, and after testing the X hull with a tiller I’m going with a skinny center in mine. Will do a concealed mount control box and hydraulic steering to keep the console narrow like the grab bar is In the first!

Reactions: Sublime
301 - 320 of 351 Posts