Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E4A168C1-47E5-4AFF-9CA6-A7A2F2300B69.jpeg Not much to see yet. The plan is......

3/4” foam core / epoxy buildup
No floor
Tohatsu 30 tiller
No tunnel
Manual jack plate
Lenco tabs
Open bulkhead up front
Permanent fuel tank up front
Bulkhead in the back
Rear hatch number and layout TBD
Rear platform much like I had on the GladesX

I’ve been in communication with Chris Morejohn about building it out at 17.5’, but I think I will just stick to the plans as issued.

This will be my third skiff, so I know features that I want on this one and don’t want. Previous skiffs were both tillers, but I’m toying with the idea of a side console.

I have pages and pages of pictures , and discussion from Travis’ build and other builds from Instagram. I will be keeping a complete accounting of all cost involved. I’m hoping to come in under $13k with a nice aluminum trailer, new motor, new everything.

That’s about it for now. I’ll be posting uber detailed info as I go along. I hope to have it planked out with foam over Christmas break.

Stu

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,655 Posts
Really looking forward to seeing the build!

I just got my plans in today and am on the fence about the length change as well. I was going to wait until the first of the year to start, but I ended up pulling the trigger early, at least on the plans.

As for the side console, it looks like the controls might be a bit high (at least, for driving while seated), but pictures can be deceiving. I'm sure whatever you do will fit you well, though; that's the beauty in doing it yourself.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,394 Posts

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
Really looking forward to watching this unfold. I want to build one of these in a bad way.

Reactions: nautilott
B

·
0 Posts
You could probably make a temp one off mold for a similar console with a five gallon bucket and a 2x6. If your building the rest of the boat, why not? Of course a call to Mel might prove to be worth your time too!

B

·
0 Posts
Of course, I would want to see it layed up in carbon fiber! It would make a real nice accent piece!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the same exact side console on my 1st gen copperhead and loved it. I'm sure Mel still has the molds for it.
Looks good. It’s the least intrusive side console I’ve seen. I sent Ankona an email yesterday asking if they would sell one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good luck and have fun with the build. Really looking forward to the pics and stories.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,147 Posts
The black side console in question is my old boat and here are my thoughts.

I liked the design of it a lot, aesthetically and it as very functional.

I am fairly short and for me it would have been most comfortable to move it back 1-2” but with the angled bezel of the wheel it was still totally drivable and pretty comfortable.

I liked it better than some of the older hell’s bays with the wheel that was straight up and down for sure.

That seadeck pad was for lures only not a knee pad one wasn’t needed.

The glass on it was pretty thin so building something similar with more glass would be my main suggestion.

It was very easy to operate tabs while running the skiff.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This would be the appropriate console I wouldn't mind the wheel a couple inches towards center even

Driving is uncomfortable w the wheel that close to gunnel on the ankona
I have always liked those. Is there any support going down to the side of the boat? That would be what I wouldn't like.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,655 Posts
@Rick88 I really like the look of that style, nice and clean, I just feel like it might be too low to stand up while driving. Do you drive standing up very often?

1 - 20 of 362 Posts