Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I see a ton about Florida high res satellite images overlay for GPS units, but don’t see much if anything on Texas, specifically the middle coast. Anyone have any advice on where to find good images that include all the backcountry?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the Navionics platinum plus chip in my lowrance 7TI the imagery is great I fish a lot of marsh in the Sabine area and it is very good quality they were running a deal if you buy the chip and send a competition map back you would get a rebate. Hodges marine has the best price no tax or shipping it is the 635p+ I believe.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Contact Simmons Custom Rigging out of Kemah. They sell a satellite overlay chip and it's legit. My buddy just got one and I'm seriously thinking about replacing my (almost new) Navionics with it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Chart plotter, the navionics is a chip with bathemetric data as well as imagery (raster data) that you use in a plotter (Simrad, lowrance etc.)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Contact Simmons Custom Rigging out of Kemah. They sell a satellite overlay chip and it's legit. My buddy just got one and I'm seriously thinking about replacing my (almost new) Navionics with it.
How is it better than the Navionics satellite overlay?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I’ll take some pictures this weekend of my set up and his, both on same unit to show the difference. They took a combination of high res images and pieced them together.
How often do they update the tiles? What is the fee to load new ones if so?

·
Registered
350 Posts
How often do they update the tiles? What is the fee to load new ones if so?
I’m not 100% certain but I think that’s the downside to it(limited updates). I’ll get more details and report back.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,913 Posts
After this last hurricane there are a ton of new sand bars and lots of debris has moved here on the middle coast. Unless you have satellite images that were made last week these fancy chips are just showing clear images of outdated structure. I use the Navionics chip to know where the main cuts and creeks are and keep my head on a swivel while running around and mark obstructions. Once you run around an area your tracks are better reference than any year old satellite imagery. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
496 Posts
After this last hurricane there are a ton of new sand bars and lots of debris has moved here on the middle coast. Unless you have satellite images that were made last week these fancy chips are just showing clear images of outdated structure. I use the Navionics chip to know where the main cuts and creeks are and keep my head on a swivel while running around and mark obstructions. Once you run around an area your tracks are better reference than any year old satellite imagery. Just my two cents.
No doubt, no substitute for good eye wear and attentiveness. I use it as a supplement as well. I would be interested if you could pay for update tiles.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,913 Posts
No doubt, no substitute for good eye wear and attentiveness. I use it as a supplement as well. I would be interested if you could pay for update tiles.
I don’t think so. Here’s Sunday Pass before this last hurricane. Now it’s completely sanded in and the opening to Fish Pond is too. You won’t see this on any map card.

A3FB484D-FF8B-4635-8BA3-F2ADEAFD06D3.jpeg

·
Registered
350 Posts
I can attest for fish pond entrance 🤣 ask me how I know and it wasn’t imagery
A friend told me to try back there, he didn't mention to me it was a damn sandbar. We managed to make it in, but we had to pole/walk it out. His FS18 with a 20hp Jet vs my Fury with a 90...a little bit of a difference.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,913 Posts
A friend told me to try back there, he didn't mention to me it was a damn sandbar. We managed to make it in, but we had to pole/walk it out. His FS18 with a 20hp Jet vs my Fury with a 90...a little bit of a difference.
You aren’t making it now unless you’re on a hovercraft or a Chittum...bwahaha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts