Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some feedback for a project i'm doing for a class. What would be the thoughts, ideas, desires and wants to have a quality built skiff for the shallow waters of Texas that is built in Texas?

Thanks

G

·
This is a personal opinion, but I don't think people really care where a skiff's built, as long as it's built well. If you're curious about what type of skiff to build for Texas take a look at what East Cape, Chittum, and Hell's Bay build. They've been making skinny water Texas skiffs for years.

·
Registered
287 Posts
https://www.sabineskiffs.com/

http://www.newwaterboatworks.com/index.html

A few examples of Texas built skiffs.

Others may chime in differently, but I think when you compare a poling skiff designed for Texas waters to one for Florida waters, the Texas skiff should have a bit more emphasis on being able to run in shallow water as well as float in it. Shallow in Texas is alot skinier than shallow in Florida.

That being said, I own a skiff built in Florida that meets all my needs here in Texas, so take that for whatever its worth.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
This is a personal opinion, but I don't think people really care where a skiff's built, as long as it's built well. If you're curious about what type of skiff to build for Texas take a look at what East Cape, Chittum, and Hell's Bay build. They've been making skinny water Texas skiffs for years.
Where it is built is an issue when it comes down to a warranty issue. Most of the big builders have places to refer to, but some do not. I'd be thoroughly upset if I had to drive from TX to southern Florida to pick up a boat, only have to take it back for warranty work. That's a no go in my book.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
733 Posts
Where it is built is an issue when it comes down to a warranty issue. Most of the big builders have places to refer to, but some do not. I'd be thoroughly upset if I had to drive from TX to southern Florida to pick up a boat, only have to take it back for warranty work. That's a no go in my book.
I needed to have some minor warranty work done on my East Cape Caimen. EC asked where I was located and if I could make it to Corpus. CC is a little far to haul a skiff for repairs for me so EC stepped up and called a few places that were more local. We ended up finding a few shops who were willing to work with EC. Then Harvey hit and messed up all of our planning. So after Harvey and major damage to my hull, I found Boat Werks of TX and they did such a shitty job that they didn't even ask EC for any $$. BTW EC stands behind their product and working with them was smooth as silk and the issue was very, very minor in nature and not a quality issue.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
15,034 Posts
I needed to have some minor warranty work done on my East Cape Caimen. EC asked where I was located and if I could make it to Corpus. CC is a little far to haul a skiff for repairs for me so EC stepped up and called a few places that were more local. We ended up finding a few shops who were willing to work with EC. Then Harvey hit and messed up all of our planning. So after Harvey and major damage to my hull, I found Boat Werks of TX and they did such a shitty job that they didn't even ask EC for any $$. BTW EC stands behind their product and working with them was smooth as silk and the issue was very, very minor in nature and not a quality issue.
I bought an outboard through that guy 4 years ago. Shady...
I’ve heard mixed reviews about their “Werk” o_O

·
Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.
1,385 Posts
You have got to find a way to build a cored and vacuum bagged hull with equal or greater quality using less man hours than the other guys.

You need a shop that builds one boat at a time, as fast as possible. Literally, everyone in the shop working to build 1 boat the same way a NASCAR pit crew changes tires. One boat to completion before starting the next. Keep a timer and reduce non valued work. Mistake proof everything. Its easier to bend metal than twist arms.

1. You have to build tools to make cutting fabrics and shaping core faster.
2. You need to research a two part, injectable mold instead of bagging materials.
3. You need to come up with a resin handling system that reduces or eliminates the need for cleanup.
4. Study the way people move through the shop. Spaghetti and fishbone diagrams.
5. Incentivize your employees to come up with better ways to do their job.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
733 Posts
@GullsGoneWild - good feedback - so what happened with the botched job? You getting it fixed?
Yes I will be getting it fixed locally. Before the hurricane I had an epoxy puck break loose from under my rear hatch. I dont have bulkheads in the skiff and the hatches are supported underneath by an epoxy puck. Then during the hurricane I was making rescues and had to push my skiff across a flooded I-10 and suffered major gelcoat damage all the way from the bow to the trim tabs. Boat Werxs of TX posted an ad on 2ccol saying they were offering 20% off for volunteer first responders. I had BWoT sub contract the glass and gelcoat work while they did the epoxy puck, installed a new sonar and checked a TM noise issue for me. BWoT didn't have the glass shop quote for 2 weeks. For the epoxy puck repair they sanded down the broken edges but they didn't cover the all of the new sanded area with epoxy and then they didn't have the glass shop color match the epoxy. I think BWoT installed the epoxy puck after it came back form the glass shop. If they were smart they would have had the glass shop shoot some color on it since they were already mixing the color for the hull repair. So if you look under my rear hatch you can see a white epoxy puck and core material. When they installed my new sonar they pinched the power line somehow and now my GPS only works in one position on the ram mount and one trim tab isn't working! And after two weeks of not having a glass quote I started calling every day bc the squeaky wheel gets the grease right? Well I finally had enough in the 3rd week and asked who the sub was and I would call and make arrangements for a quote. FYI, at this point I was told by BWoT that the glass shop had the skiff in their possession for at least 3-4 days and still didn't have a quote. I was told by the little shit working at BWoT that he couldn't release the name of the sub. Called back the next day and spoke with owner and told him of all my troubles and said have my skiff ready for pick up Sat morning and have work completed elsewhere. 2 hours later he magically had a glass quote in hand and said he could have it completed by Sat. Confirmed Friday afternoon that the skiff was complete and ready for pick up. Arrive Sat morning and they are installing the sonar incorrectly! And they charged me more than the estimate saying they had trouble installing the sonar and it took longer than expected! Paid my bill and left with an awful taste in my mouth.

Sorry to derail the thread. The whole point of my original post was to say that it was super easy working with EC on a warranty issue even though I'm out of state. The guys at EC are truly a pleasure to work with in all aspects from designing, building and after the sale communication.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.