Texas Boys

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast, Alabama to Texas' started by Smackdaddy53, Dec 30, 2016.

1. backcast

backcast I Love microskiff.com!

Love the custom fighting butt
    Joe

2. GullsGoneWild

GullsGoneWild I Love microskiff.com!

remind me to not go fishing with you if you are giving up spots easily! Was that you in the aforementioned marsh on sat?

Smackdaddy53 likes this.

3. Roger Douglas

Roger Douglas Well-Known Member

Must have been me. Only saw one other boat with the guy on the platform wearing on a white shirt? I was using my trolling motor.

At 120,000+ acres I think there would be room for one other boat. That was a long haul for my 20hp and in the fog. It may be worth $90 license fee. I just got a day license to check it out.

If my spot off the Neches River returns to normal this year, I will save $90.

4. GullsGoneWild

I didn't get in till that afternoon but I saw a buddy back there and he said he saw another skiff so I thought that may have been you. There is plenty of room for more boats but that doesn't mean you should let the cat out of the bag. Did yall do any good? We only saw two fish in the four hrs we were there.

5. Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

I read Roger's post and bought a permit. Now me and 3 other skiffs are coming over in a couple of weeks.

6. GullsGoneWild

Does that mean you are taking me fishing?

Sublime likes this.
  7. Roger Douglas

I left around noon. Water was a little off-color, I guess from all the wind we have had lately. I broke off on two reds ( no more braid for me), one red spit the spoon, landed one, and landed two bass. Fat little dudes. Pushed a few other fish that I did not see. I assume more fish will appear as it gets warmer. I will give it another chance in a month or so.

I did not know the refuge was a secret. I do have other secrets that are a lot closer to home.

EdK13 likes this.
  8. GullsGoneWild

It isn't a secret but it doesn't need any additional advertising

9. Sublime

Yes, but we are all going to need to crash at your place the night before. Too long of a drive from her for a dawn patrol.

GullsGoneWild likes this.
  10. Tx_Whipray

Tx_Whipray Well-Known Member

I'm in, PM me the address. Better yet, just post it. I'm sure there will be others. If you need to see my ghetto pass, I'm Port Arthur born and raised. TJ, C/O '88.

bpbakke, EdK13 and GullsGoneWild like this.
  11. WillW

WillW I Love microskiff.com!

Ghetto for sure. I would t go flying that flag too high

EdK13, Tx_Whipray, commtrd and 2 others like this.
  12. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I have not broken a fish off in several years...20# Sufix832 with a crazy alberto transition knot to 20# Trilene Clear Big Game mono about 48" long then no-slip loop knot to the lure. I still don't understand why people blame braid for breaking off. If you are tying braid directly to your lure that is why! No stretch... Landed all kinds of huge fish with this setup including an 18# gag grouper and a 47" Jack without issues. I straighten and break hooks, not line.

13. GullsGoneWild

I hope yall don't mind sleeping in the same bed

14. Tx_Whipray

It was a different place back then. I think 6 of my classmates went to Ivy league colleges and a couple others went to Stanford, etc.

15. Roger Douglas

I was only using 10 lb fluorocarbon leader. No stretch and probably trying to set the hook a little too hard. One actually was swimming at me and by the time I got the TM off and reeled in the slack there was only about 6 foot of line out. It hit the after burners and POW. Loosened the drag a little after that. I like the 10lb braid, just need to adjust and use longer mono leader (and buy a couple more spoons).

16. not2shabby

not2shabby Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just that I'm a little more observant these days, but I'm seeing a lot more skiffs this year than ever before. I went out Friday and Saturday - granted the weather was perfect for skinny water fly fishing fun - and saw a handful of HBs, a B2, a NewWater Stilt, and a Chittum Islamorada 18. I can't think of a year when I've seen that many skiffs in a whole season and that was just two days at the Padre Island NS Bird Island ramp.

Has the poling skiff culture officially come to Texas?

commtrd and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  17. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I have seen a lot more as well in the last year or so. I'd rather see these than tower boats and airboats!

FXSBT26, Rayreds and not2shabby like this.
  18. Sublime

They are definitely gaining popularity but will never be the norm until they make one with 250 HO or 300 Pro XS.

commtrd likes this.
  19. POCtied

POCtied Well-Known Member

this weekend in POC I saw 4 different HB's, a Copperhead tiller, Cayenne, Stilt, and a couple others I didn't recognize. Definitely more than I had ever seen in one weekend.

20. Tx_Whipray

hell, I saw a Gheenoe in Seadrift Friday. A nice one, too. Seafoam green, platform with a back rest, etc. I also passed a Stilt on 185 between Victoria and Seadrift as I was heading home.