Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to look for my first microskiff, and looking for some advice/suggestions on what to consider. I don't have a set price range, but am thinking the $10-$20k range. Just based on a little light reading I have been considering a Towee for their versatility (rivers in central Texas plus fishing the coast), Ankona Shadowcast, and the Saltmarsh Heron. I have seen a few things on Skimmer Skiffs, but don't know much about them and whether I should add them to the mix. I know most if not all of these are rated for 3 people, but are there any 4 capacity boats that may be a good fit (I have a family of 4 and my wife may want to ride once in awhile). I hope to be able to make a purchase in the coming months once I sell my old Land Rover...any takers? Thanks in advance!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
386 Posts
Towees are not gonna do four people, although they'd fish nice for your situation. You may want to check out Hog Island skiffs, they're a bigger version of the "versatile" skiff idea....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fatman,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check them out. The 3 seater isn’t a deal breaker, but just thought I would ask about a smaller 4 seater.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sending that Not2shabby. Unfortunately it may be a little to soon, but I will keep my eye on it. The rover is a 1964 right hand drive. It is actually getting tuned up in Houston right now so I couldn’t get any recent pics. We imported it in 1997 and put it on a galvanized chassis.

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
Action Marine in Austin is a Hog Island dealer, have several in stock. I know who here in Austin might want to get a look at that Defender.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
3 is tight on all any of those boats but doable if not fly fishing. 4 is really a stretch unless just riding around in flat water.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not2Shabby, it is a petrol. It is a sweet ride, but being 6'4" it isn't comfortable for more than a quick trip around the neighborhood. I think I will get a lot more enjoyment out of a microskiff!

Fishtex, I will definitely go check them out. I hope the rover will be in a position to sell by the end of the month (waiting on a part from the UK right now). PM me if you or someone you know is interested.

Jay.bush1434, the more I think about it, the 4 isn't a big deal. I have access to a center console that we can put the family and friends on if we want to go cruising. I am a fly fisherman, and most of the time it will just be 2 people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts