Test Drive - Compass 12.5

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by captnron, Jun 18, 2007.

1. captnron

captnron Guest

I picked up the new native Watercraft Compass 12.5 and hadn't had a chance to try it.  It's kind of a hybrid between a canoe and a kayak with comfy seat.

The Boat

http://www.nativewatercraft.net/compass.html

[​IMG]

Well it rained today and I walked out back to find this. [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

The test track

[​IMG]

The thing paddled amazing for it's size, tracked well and draws very little water.  Nice part is that with the seat removed, it's only 28 lbs, something I like when it's time to throw it on the top of the Jeep at the end of the day. ;)  Now it's time to take her out for an all day trip - Maybe Juniper run next month.

I did try to pole is standing up.  Going to take a little getting used to. [smiley=1-embarassed.gif] [smiley=1-doh.gif]  Just some suggested gear when attempting to pole. [smiley=1-whoops1.gif]

[​IMG]

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Nice kanoe. I would have enjoyed watching you fall out ;D

3. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

something like this I think...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[​IMG]

4. IRLyRiser

IRLyRiser Well-Known Member

Nice setup. I have come to realize it ain't a fishing trip unless i fall out of the boat. :D

5. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

After reading Capnron's review of the Compass 12.5, today at lunch time I headed to Blackcreek outfitters in Jax. I asked about the Compass and the salesman that assisted me said they did not have them in stock yet, but he did let me test paddle a Native Ultimate Elite 12, (they have a large pond outside the shop) The Ultimate Elite 12 was a dream to paddle and it is very fast. It is a bit heavier than the compass and more expensive. The salesman told me he has paddled a Compass, and made the suggestion to wait to paddle one before buying because it is the bomb. Two things: one I can't wait to paddle the Compass. two: The guys at Blackcreek are really honest and cool to deal with.

6. draggingcanoe

draggingcanoe Well-Known Member

We have the Native Watercraft Ultimate 14. Tunnel hull! A few years ago, my wife said "we don't need a sea kayak." She really likes it. This is a great boat. It can be paddled solo or tandem. I put my trolling motor on the middle support bar (Old Town adaptor)- it hauls. Actually can't wait to rig the TillarPillar on it. We camp and pull a trailer and can take this anywhere. I will take this and my NMZ to the White River in Arkansas next month. Look at the link below. You sit higher- the seats are super comfortable and are removable- great camp chair.
    http://nativewatercraft.net/ultimate14.html

If I were paddling solo all the time I would jump on the Compass.

7. captnron

captnron Guest

This all started with my request from my local kayak shop for the "lightest kayak I can get". We went straight to the Ultimate and I asked if he could do "lighter". That's when he told me a "new" hull was coming out and when I saw the specs, I had to try one. My luck was that a preorder cancelled and it was even the color I wanted. My shop has some pull and they shipped it. ;)

I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far from native watercraft and the seat is the bomb.

8. FlatsSteeler

FlatsSteeler Well-Known Member

I have had my Ultimate 12 about 4 months this is the most comfortable boat I have ever paddled.......I can stand and pole, fly fish, but for general enjoyment it is just plain roomy for a Kayakanoe.........
    My ultimate 12
    [​IMG]