Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Tell Me About Navigating Homosassa

3253 Views 60 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  PeteS
Was talking to a guy recently about fishing locally (St.Pete) and he told me he had started going to Homosassa instead because the fishing (especially fly fishing) was much better, and that he hadn't fished here for awhile since he started going. But then came the topic of navigating the area which is much more difficult, he ended up spending over $3k on a Simrad and FMT and said it was a huge help trying to navigate around there. He didn't get into specific spots but mentioned Oyster Creek and Porpoise Bay as good starting points for exploring around and finding fish.

I was wondering if I'd be able to navigate the area without spending a ton of money on a chart plotter and FMT. Like are there any good phone apps I could use and just take things really slow? Or maybe get an older chart plotter used for cheap? If so which ones are dependable? My skiff is a cheap Rabco so i'm not worried about hitting rocks or oyster beds or anything and messing up the hull it's already beat up. I figured if we take our time we should be ok for the most part, but I could be horribly wrong lol. Would appreciate any input on this, part of us wanting to go is the adventure of a new place to explore but I want to be as prepared as possible so i know what to expect.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
Ok, all kidding aside鈥 FMT and good insurance are a must for my back yard! I hate FMT for a reason, the reason is鈥 it鈥檚 pretty damn accurate and allows 鈥渙ut of town鈥檈rs鈥 access to my stomping grounds! Go ahead and buy N and S since in other posts you鈥檝e mentioned fishing different areas but it will be money well spent if you come here!!! Just think of it as a new rod & it may not sting as bad.

Premium Member
Oh, and you AIN鈥檛 gettin鈥 to oyster creek, rose creek, porpoise bay, seven cabbage, or anywhere else that way without it or someone that KNOWS where the hell they are going without fmt or in a kayak!!! Likely won鈥檛 make it a half mile from the ramp to be honest!

Premium Member
To point out treacherous it is, someone who has fished there for 40 plus years, following a friend and famous poon guide, going where he went for 40 years, ruined a prop. Maritteamike has had it happen. Damn limestone moves during the night just a couple of inches.
I am doing an 鈥渆mergency鈥 repair for a local guide tomorrow morning that hit a piece of rebar on his way in today! Yep, REBAR! He need the boat to fish Friday so before I feast, I fix!馃槈 This guide probably knows these particular waters better than any still alive today if that tells ya anything!

Premium Member
Even with FMT the area is extremely treacherous. FMT gets you to a general area but once you are off track (poling/trolling) by a mile or more with no sun to see dark patches on the way back to a track, pucker factor 1000. Even with sun there can be single rocks that will ruin your day. Every so often an experienced angler in the area hits a rock which is thereafter named after them鈥︹
Hell, I just realized鈥 I鈥檝e been fishing these waters for 40 years myself! And I still get in my fair share of trouble too!

Reactions: DBStoots

Premium Member
I'd like to give it a shot to try something different, probably gonna wait till next summer tho. I'll start looking into an FMT setup....Where do I get the actual FMT card from?

Also what's this insurance you speak of lol, what kind of coverage should I be having
You will want a policy that covers engine damage in the event of an accident. Including but not limited to powerhead damage from the sudden stop of a flyweight鈥檈d rotating assembly that has parts that may just want to stay in motion during said stop and create their own windows to peak out of!

Premium Member
Guys, hold on.... the title of the thread is "Tell Me About Navigating Homosassa" not "Talk Me Out Of Navigating Homosassa".

:) 馃嵖
You say that like there鈥檚 a difference?馃ぃ

Premium Member
I can't say for sure but I do believe people were fishing that area before the invention of Simrad.

I don't think I am wrong because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
We were! And long before we there was they! That said, if not for FMT, my backyard would have way less traffic than it does these days! Many still can鈥檛 follow me where I end up though so I have that goin鈥 for me! Not many folks can run from Chass to Crystal River without going into the gulf! 馃槈

Premium Member
Hey JC
I was running out of Mason today and I am certain I saw the rebar in question. Someone added a marker that is only visible at low tide. The PVC was gone but I saw the rebar sticking up and it was bent. Thought to myself that would mess up a glass hull quick.

Skimmer, idle everywhere during the winter low tide with an east wind to learn the channels and you will still wreck a prop :)
Probably it!

Premium Member
Hey JC
I was running out of Mason today and I am certain I saw the rebar in question. Someone added a marker that is only visible at low tide. The PVC was gone but I saw the rebar sticking up and it was bent. Thought to myself that would mess up a glass hull quick.

Skimmer, idle everywhere during the winter low tide with an east wind to learn the channels and you will still wreck a prop :)
I鈥檓 glad I didn鈥檛 find it the other day wet testing a client鈥檚 BT3 with some pretty serious drivability issues! I hate doing repairs!馃ぃ

Reactions: Mtntop

Premium Member
First time I launched at Ozello, caught a fn rock 50' from the ramp, almost fell out of the boat.............wow, if i had FMT I probably would have known it was there (ya, right)
This week is a perfect week (big moon, winds been blowin out of the N/NE for days) to get out there spend time and learn the water
Big one that makes a small island on low tide?

Premium Member
Sounds like a Scandy White tunnel hull with jackplate and a kick up motor with a steel rock guard would be the boat down there!
The Scandy is a great rig for this area! I see a few starting to go with tunnel hull Texas scooters also but neither are poling skiffs. I鈥檇 take the Scandy over the scooter for here but I鈥檒l take a properly built and rigged poling skiff with tunnel and jackplate over either.

• Love
Reactions: Smackdaddy53

Premium Member

I had to bring this up again!馃ぃ This is Crystal River which generally is a deep water river. If you have IG, here you can see just how shallow and how fast it happens here! I ain鈥檛 been telling tall tails folks!馃ぃ

Premium Member
Mind you^^^, this guys was well inside a NWZ so got what he had comin!

Premium Member
Is it relatively easy to get into the little creeks with a paddle board? We might just go up with the paddle boards a few times first to scout around before I take the skiff.
Plenty of paddle board/ yak territory! I鈥檇 steer clear of the main river and hit Mason Creek or Ozello though. Bit folks hit the main river too on them so up to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts