Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my flats boat out of the garage to fire up the motor as part of my monthly routine and noticed the fuel guage was not operating.worked just fine in the past with no issues and I knew there was plenty of fuel in the tank. cycled the key a few times and still nothing, even went to station and topped the tank off with no success. My boat is a 2001 flats and bay. Anyone familiar with this brand?
20200210_204951305_iOS.jpg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Check leads on sending unit on top of tank for loose and/or corroded connections

Reactions: BrownDog

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Amen.... I've had bad luck with either grossly bad reading gauges or bad sender units over the years. Some years ago I did a full restoration of a baby SeaCraft - including complete new everything from fuel system to wiring - everything including a nice brand new aluminum fuel tank that we very carefully sealed with epoxy paint.... After using it a few years my fuel gauge went bad (I thought - but wasn't smart enough to realize it might have been the sender - or the wiring....). Two years later I sold the boat and within a year the new owner found that the tank which should have lasted for years was leaking badly... An inspection revealed that my "bad gauge" was just fine - the power wire to my sending unit had cracked away and was laying on top of the tank - causing severe electrolysis (pinholing on the top of the tank requiring a complete replacement...).

So take some time (get a competent tech if you don't have the skills) and inspect that sending unit, it's wiring, etc. as well as checking out the gauge... In some installations a boat builder will actually glass the floor over the tank with no access to the sending unit at all. If that's the case a skilled glass shop will have to cut an access hole to the tank -to even be able to see where your sending unit is (and they'd better know where to cut....).

Now you see why I always prefer a dip stick system instead of a fuel gauge - if you can....

Hope this helps, aren't boats fun?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Check that there is nothing causing the unit to have incorrect grounding. This happened to me one time and I replaced the unit and went through so much trouble, only to learn I had something metal in my bulkhead (like anchor chain or something, can't recall) touching the wire and causing interference. The second I moved it off...worked. I felt like as a$$.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts