Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Tarpon rod advice needed ....

1964 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  crboggs
times has come for my first 12wt . Was thinking of loomis ccglx , as I have it in 8 and 10wts already . Enjoy both . Just wondering if the 12 has a similar feel /action . I know there are lots of good rods out there . Anything I should consider based on me liking the ccglx ?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· I Love microskiff.com!
236 Posts
I have a NRX Pro-1 and a Crosscurrent Pro-1. I demoted the Crosscurrent to backup status. The NRX is lighter and better balanced with a light reel like my Nautilus Silver King. I run RIO Tarpon and it just throws so well for a big rod and has lifting power to spare. Both rods have power to lift a big fish and are certainly better then average casting rods the NRX is just better. Is it worth the extra coin? To me it is. If I snapped my NRX I'd order one the next day.

· Registered
423 Posts
I throw a CrossCurrent 12.. non GLX.. and have thrown the GLX, same blank just different reel seat and guides. Not a rod you're going to blind cast all day but you can throw some bombs with it... and once you hook up, you wont feel under-gunned, very stout rod and good for fighting fish... great stick! The NRX 12 is so light and buttery, you probably could blind cast to rollers all day with that one.. obviously price points are very different. I like throwing the AirFlo Ridge fly line on the CC12.. enjoy the quest!!!!

· I Love microskiff.com!
154 Posts
I truly believe Tarpon rods need to be one piece, with that being said, my choices would be the Hardy Sintrix or the newer Hardy Zephrus, both amazing rods. I have 2, 12wt Sintrix for sale, $350 located in Miami, if interested, I prefer local pick up.

· Registered
1,314 Posts
The sintrix has a much softer tip than the ccglx. I haven’t tried the newer zephrus or the even newer rod they are coming out with. I love one piece rods but I would take my 4 pc ccglx over my buddy’s 1pc sintrix backup rod any day! However that is just my preference and casting style!

· I Love microskiff.com!
3,733 Posts
The NRX Pro 1 12wt and the Rio Tarpon line pair together nicely ... especially when you need to pick up line and get the fly back out quickly...IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.