Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s everyone using for tarpon fishing? My last pole floated too high and was a PIA to try and push down in more than 3/4 feet. I had a carbon fiber moonlighter

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,927 Posts
I would go for one that that comes in a model for 24'+ for poling in deeper water.

Reactions: el9surf

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,028 Posts
What does that look like ( too much boyancy)? I would be inclined for a stick like the stiffy hybrid which would be slightly heavier. I would be looking for something as well maybe 6-8' Ft of water max. Does anyone have experience with the GLR2 vs the moonlighter?

G

·
What does that look like ( too much boyancy)? I would be inclined for a stick like the stiffy hybrid which would be slightly heavier. I would be looking for something as well maybe 6-8' Ft of water max. Does anyone have experience with the GLR2 vs the moonlighter?
No experience with the moonlighted. Have used various CM models on other boats. I have a stiffy hybrid

Poling deeper water is always tougher. You really have to “shoot” the pole down hard and quick so it doesn’t float and it gets where it needs to get. Otherwise the pole does not end up hitting the bottom where you originally intended

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, to much boyancy so it was harder to push down.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Agreed, the guide or even the g3lr from Cabon Marine. Whichever one you go with get a stainless tip.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,028 Posts
Does the SS tip help on rocky bottom? Whats the real advantage? I feel like plastic would be quieter, but may "wear out" faster.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
The nylon tip will slip all over a rocky bottom making a bunch of noise while also getting chewed up. Ss tip does a better job in my opinion gripping on rock and it holds up better. The ss tip has some weight which in my opinion eliminates some of the initial bouyancy when poling in deeper water.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,208 Posts
Get a carbon marine 24’ g2 after 5-8 years of use and a couple accidents and piece additions it will end up another pound or so heavier and works better in deep water.

At least that’s the way I did it!

·
Registered
2021 Hell’s Bay Marquesa being built, 2013 Hell’s Bay Marquesa sold, 2017 Ankona Shadowcast 18
114 Posts
Carbon Marine with the aluminum tip works great in a 24’ length. Just be careful you don’t walk into the tip when washing the boat

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are most guides in the keys using the stiffy guide?

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,986 Posts
Carbon floats
Glass is heavier and sinks better
Pole Cat makes Carbon and glass poles
Yes you'll need a longer pole
Jamming it down helps
I have a 21' Loomis glass pole and when i get in deeper water i wish it where longer

·
Registered
477 Posts
All carbon or lighter glass will float. Tarpon Nole got it right. The deeper the water the harder/faster you throw down. And also at a steeper angle. You don't need a longer pole if you are not running out length. Although the extra weight would help a bit in that situation. But how often are you experiencing this issue? 5-10%? You have to decide on how often a heavier longer pole will help. But it will suck balls slinging it the other 90% of the time

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any thoughts on the MHX push pole that’s on sale now? Only worry is staking out. I like the standard SS tip. Should help push it down too.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Everyone has their preferred pole - but you'll need it to be no shorter than 22' -24' is better (but comes with a few drawbacks while running, handling and storing....). Many like metal points - the downside is one to remember - very easy to lock a metal point into "worm-rock" or hard coral, then break your pole if you don't let go in time...

My current tarpon pole is only 22' (started out, the last time at 24 feet..), an old g.Loomis hybrid with more than one extension over the years. Some of the hassles of deeper water poling have to with technique... There's no law that says you have to stay on the platform in deeper waters. I find that stepping down onto the deck when I have to pole in eight to ten feet of water makes things much easier... Yes, you give up the visibility that height provides - but that's not worth much if you can't get into position effectively....

I do a lot of poling in small and medium rivers where big tarpon are holding like salmon and learned the hard way never to pole against a current if I can possibly help it... The moment you do that, every fish in the vicinity knows that something's up... Pole with the current -and like magic, they no longer sense you at all (and the poling in deeper waters is much, much easier). Fortunately in my area (the rivers that drain into the gulf coast of the 'glades) every river has a front door and a back door (come in the front door on a rising tide -come in the back door on a falling tide). Learning how to find and navigate "back doors" might involve a bit of serious navigation skills... One that I run to requires us to cross three different un-marked "rivers" (all are simply tributaries of the Little or Big Shark rivers). That sort of stuff is something to talk about on another day...

For those with shorter poles - check with whoever made it - they may be able to provide an extension (with the right sized ferrule - no such thing as a standard diameter pushpole.... if you ever check out a Biscayne pole you'll quickly find that it's noticeably larger in diameter than others...). Installed properly, you'll not notice the ferrule at all...

Back to poling in deeper waters.. on a soft bottom your pushpole is also your stakeout pole -and with a bit of practice you can stop and hold on a dime... On hard or rock bottom (the bottom of most of the rivers I work...) you're going to need a rock anchor (a folding grapnel is a pretty good solution - but only on rock or broken bottom - they are worthless on soft bottom areas). Set that small anchor on a short line (maybe 20 to 25 feet) so that you can step down off the platform and drop it when needed...

For those of you with Power Poles - they're useless in deeper areas.... so you have to make plans. I've noticed by the way, that really skilled guides in the Keys also can work a small anchor off their bow - while standing up on the platform to swing the stern one way or the other so that their angler can make the best presentation as fish come to where you're holding....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts