Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a general question regarding tarpon flies with zonker strips. I see almost all of them tied similar to Flyfish40's fly above.

Since tarpon flies float/suspend above the tarpon, should the zonker be tied in "upside down" so the "pretty" side would be facing the fish instead of the leather side?

Also, If the fly is supposed to ride as high as possible, why are bead chain eyes often added to tarpon flies?

Disclaimer: I have NO experience fishing for tarpon and I overthink a lot of things.

G

·
I have a general question regarding tarpon flies with zonker strips. I see almost all of them tied similar to Flyfish40's fly above.

Since tarpon flies float/suspend above the tarpon, should the zonker be tied in "upside down" so the "pretty" side would be facing the fish instead of the leather side?

Also, If the fly is supposed to ride as high as possible, why are bead chain eyes often added to tarpon flies?

Disclaimer: I have NO experience fishing for tarpon and I overthink a lot of things.
I see most tarpon flies with large holographic eyes instead of beads. Agree with zonker facedown tho. Whats MS goto taropon and juvie tarpon flies? Pictures encouraged.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Another thing to remember when using zonker is that it fouls from time to time. Some tiers use foul guards but as I was told once when asking the creator of the tarpon toad why he does not use them and how he keeps them from fouling he replied, "Better movement and learn to cast better" lol. this means no tailing loops as they cause most of the fouling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes I agree better to tie Zonker with the leather strip riding up, with black it’s hard to see the leather strip but other colors I definitely like to tie leather side up. On the note of fouling up the zonker strip, I like to tie a piece of mono (25lb) or so on the hook before the zonker strip. Once you tie the zonker strip you can make a small hole in the leather and pass the mono from bottom to the top and then tie the mono piece down on top of the zonker strip. Really helps! Versus a loop of mono just under neath the zonker strip.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Bead chain eyes combined with deer hair heads are how you try to achieve neutral buoyancy. A fly that will not sink or rise in the water.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you have to ask then I can't help you....lol

Seriously look no further than the toad. Used to be a killer then it became famous and every Joe started throwing it. Not near as good a fly now.
LOL ! You took the bait, or fly , I’m surprised you said the toad instead of the cockroach, So how are you a good steward to the younger generation if you are going to sit in a corner and yell all mine and not pass down any knowledge ? That’s a good way to to destroy a sport not enabling other people to be successful.

·
Registered
240 Posts
LOL ! You took the bait, or fly , I’m surprised you said the toad instead of the cockroach, So how are you a good steward to the younger generation if you are going to sit in a corner and yell all mine and not pass down any knowledge ? That’s a good way to to destroy a sport not enabling other people to be successful.
So, I kinda see it both ways. No one owns the water or proprietary use for a certain fly, but if a person spends time and resources to figure something out, why are they then required to tell everyone about their method of success? - Especially on the internet for ALL to see.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
A. I don't give a carp if you or anybody else on some internet forum is successful. And I am saying that only half sarcastically!
B. There are a ton of better ways to pass down knowledge and and help the younger generation learn the ropes than to post on social media.

·
Registered
792 Posts
A. I don't give a carp if you or anybody else on some internet forum is successful. And I am saying that only half sarcastically!
B. There are a ton of better ways to pass down knowledge and and help the younger generation learn the ropes than to post on social media.
Exactly! I personally have tweaked and tried so many different little details on flies with my good friend and fly tier, and have had good results. Only people that know those things are him and I because we spent hours on the water and on the phone trying to figure out what we could tweak so give the fly a little extra something.

I’ll be damn if I just post it online for everyone to see. I enjoy that part of fishing for tarpon. Trying to tweak minor details and trying to push the envelope. Sure there’s plenty of flies that work as is. But I like to change things sometimes.

PS- you can have the best fly ever. But if you can’t put it where it needs to be and strip it right. You’ll never know that fly works.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts