Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 12 wt. and 13 wt. Fly reels. I'd like to get more backing on them than what 30 lb. Dacron does. One of fly fishing friends, yes I have a few friends, says use braid, 50 lb. To be exact.
He said go to Amazon and get a 1,200 yd. Spool.
What about cutting fingers off?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have 12 wt. and 13 wt. Fly reels. I'd like to get more backing on them than what 30 lb. Dacron does. One of fly fishing friends, yes I have a few friends, says use braid, 50 lb. To be exact.
He said go to Amazon and get a 1,200 yd. Spool.
What about cutting fingers off?
This has been asked on this forum, at last count, around 12,937 times. :D

1. If you are worried about that then use Jerry Brown 65#. Its nice and soft.
but even more importantly.
2. If a fish is running WTH do you have your fingers around the backing in the first place! :p

I have been using braid type stuff for well over 10 years on every reel I own and I have never been cut. Early on with some of the harder braids I did have a short "burn" session and quickly learned that my hands don't belong there anyhow!

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went on Amazon and found a 1,200 yd. Spool of Hercules braid that looked OK

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
I went on Amazon and found a 1,200 yd. Spool of Hercules braid that looked OK
I wouldn't. Why do you need more than 300yrs anyway?

If you feel you absolutely have to have more backing, then spend the extra money and get something good so you can keep all of your fingers. ;) Currently out of all the backings I've tested (and I think I've compared all of them now), it would be Rio's GSP 50 or Seaguar's Threadlock 60lb hollowcore. Both as super smooth and will give you all the extra backing you need without issues.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't. Why do you need more than 300yrs anyway?

If you feel you absolutely have to have more backing, then spend the extra money and get something good so you can keep all of your fingers. ;) Currently out of all the backings I've tested (and I think I've compared all of them now), it would be Rio's GSP 50 or Seaguar's Threadlock 60lb hollowcore. Both as super smooth and will give you all the extra backing you need without issues.
I looked up Rio GSP 50 and for 1,000 yds. $259

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yea, I would go with 600yd spool of Seguar Threadlock for approx $140. Use 200yds on each reel as a topshot of backing that you will be handling and then back the threadlock with something like regular micron. In my opinion it is better and will actually be cheaper.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You certainly don't need braid made by a fly company, it's bound to be more expensive. I would buy a hollow braid as it is softer and you can put a locking loop for fly line connections or splice your running line directly into the braid.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It depends on where you fish I guess. I fish from a boat so I prob don’t need more than what reg micron offers. I have a friend that fishes big tarpon on the beach. He uses hollow braid for obvious reasons. Standard braid can get hard on fingers. I guess it depends on how much you use your hands for drag. Some people use a lot of hands, some people let the reel do the work. Both are right, just personal preference.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Want to learn whether super braids cut - without needing a bandaid afterwards... Take a piece of it and lay it on a small branch (say less that 1/2" thickness and see just just how long it takes to saw through the branch - and that can't compare to the line screaming out with a big fish on the other end.

Yesterday we caught and released our first big tarpon of the year at Flamingo (an accidental catch - the water is still a bit cold) on spinning gear - not fly... That reel was loaded with 30lb braid and had an 80lb tarpon on the line. When the reel starts screaming I always make a point of telling any new angler to never touch the line - for good cause... Just another of those "ask me how I know" deals... Mono can cut you as well - but nothing like what braid can do.

We were in bad conditions yesterday with howling winds - I was probably more surprised by that tarpon than my anglers were - and it was their first time in the 'glades... I've got two more trips this weekend (a night and a day) and will try to post a full report again on Monday in the fishing reports section... No fly fishing this weekend though...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Watched a buddy on a trip in Costa Rica hook a blue Marlin and not get his hand out of the way quick enough. The braid sliced through his glove and deep into his finger. Nice part about it was the cut never bled almost like it cauterized itself. Unfortunately line wrapped around the fly reel and fish busted off but still an adventure.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Any line will cut you when it’s screaming off a reel, I’ve seen guys get de-gloved by 100# mono offshore. Don’t be a dufus, keep your hands away from it.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
has anyone done a test with braid to see it actually cutting? or is this just a legend?

maybe I'll attach some to my impact gun and go to town on a rack of ribs
I did an unofficial "Backing Shootout" on these threads below. Many people here on the forum was involved sending me backing samples that I did that very test on, with feel and cutting test on various things. The main reason is I've had several people on my boat get their fingers slided badly on the boat, with wet hands, on hot poons and one with a monster redfish. So I've always warned people about that. These were guys with regular gel spun braided backing.

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/fly-reel-backing.55680/#post-468704

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/tarpon-leader-s.44642/page-2#post-354754

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Yea, I would go with 600yd spool of Seguar Threadlock for approx $140. Use 200yds on each reel as a topshot of backing that you will be handling and then back the threadlock with something like regular micron. In my opinion it is better and will actually be cheaper.
You were the guy that turned me onto Seaguar Threadlock. I used that sample you sent in the backing shootout I did. You also sent me a link where they had it on sale, so I bought some. Really great stuff and silky smooth. Great idea of using it for a top shot.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Watched a buddy on a trip in Costa Rica hook a blue Marlin and not get his hand out of the way quick enough. The braid sliced through his glove and deep into his finger. Nice part about it was the cut never bled almost like it cauterized itself. Unfortunately line wrapped around the fly reel and fish busted off but still an adventure.
YEah I've seen that sort of thing 1st hand. I've been also cut too, poon fishing at night on several occasions and not seeing where to place my hand to palm the spool, in all the action of a hot running poon, with wet hands and got cut just accidentally touching the backing. But it wasn't deep enough to cut to the boat, but definitely cut thru the skin and down into the muscle a bit to cause me to bleed profusely until I could wrap it up and apply pressure on it. Blood all over the deck tho.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I accidentally threw a loop around my reel clearing the line on a 120 lb fish last season. The dacron cut a 20# mono sized trench in the blank of my rod at the first ferrel. Finally caught up to the fish and unlooped the backing. Boated the fish btw.
Try not to throw a loop around your leg...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts