Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to get serious about tarpon fishing again. I’ve never really caught and used crabs before...and getting out on the water the night before to net them isn’t really practical. I’ve found a handful of little spots where I can net them from the land. Any other good ideas? Also, how long can you keep them alive and what are some good tips for storing them long term?

Appreciate any info you can offer!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Been wanting to get serious about tarpon fishing again. I’ve never really caught and used crabs before...and getting out on the water the night before to net them isn’t really practical. I’ve found a handful of little spots where I can net them from the land. Any other good ideas? Also, how long can you keep them alive and what are some good tips for storing them long term?

Appreciate any info you can offer!
Usually bait shops have some.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
I don't think you are finding pass crabs from shore...but I could be wrong but I have never seen them along the bank.

Put out some crab traps.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,097 Posts
You can keep the on ice or in your refrigerator to slow their metabolism down

Reactions: rkmurphy526

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are going to keep the crabs for a length of time there are a few things you need to do. To keep them top quality for bait I break off there claws,I keep them in a tank on my porch with good bubbler and give them a food supply,they will eat almost anything including each other. You also are going to need either a filtration system or access to water as there is waste if keeping for decent periods of time. I keep crabs for months at a time like this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are going to keep the crabs for a length of time there are a few things you need to do. To keep them top quality for bait I break off there claws,I keep them in a tank on my porch with good bubbler and give them a food supply,they will eat almost anything including each other. You also are going to need either a filtration system or access to water as there is waste if keeping for decent periods of time. I keep crabs for months at a time like this.
You think a big cooler with a bubbler will work? I’m close to a brackish water ramp so I can get more water pretty easily.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,097 Posts
Just tip about breaking off claws. Do it after they've been on ice till they cant bite back. I can tell you how i know. Do the crabs you keep for months start to grow their claws back?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have found the tarpon like the pass crabs more than the blues but the blues are much easier to keep alive.
Interesting...I’ve actually heard the opposite regarding which ones tarpon like best. Hell...probably depends on who you ask, I suppose.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
Put a few traps out by the RR bridge and you'll have a steady supply.

Two modifications to the trap
1) depending on the trap you buy you may need to double trap it so the pin fish don't eat the crabs legs off
2) you need to choke off the entrance hole so you only end up with the size you want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Instead of breaking their claws off, you should grab them at the elbow knuckle with a pair of pliers and apply pressure. If you squeeze firmly the crab will release the claw and it is much less stressful than snapping their limb off. I've found you have a better survival rate this way. Also keep track of any crabs in your pen that shed and grow a new set. The more you feed them the faster this happens. The first one to shed will have the weapons to eat any future peelers while they're still soft shelled if you don't keep up with removing the claws diligently.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts