Tank vent issue on 2014 HB Pro

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Jsparacino@holmana, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jsparacino@holmana

Jsparacino@holmana Flamingo is my paradice !!

Just wondering if anyone out there has had this problem. My 2014 Pro is new to me but it has around 90 hours on it. Since I took ownership I have taken the boat out six times - all with no issues. Today I had a problem while I was out fishing, after shutting down and fishing an area, the boat would start and than die immediately, would not idle. I tried everything I could, checked the fuel filter, squeezed the ball for more pressure. Nothing, just start up and die. A boater came by and told me to loosen the gas cap, when I did, I could here pressure coming out. After that the engine started and ran fine until the same thing happened later in the day. When I got home I checked the vent valve in the side of the hull - it was clear and had no obstructions. just wondering what else could be the issue. When I blew into the vent valve with the gas cap off I could here the bubbles in the tank so I know its clear. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated. Thanks

Joe

2. Salty_South

Salty_South Well-Known Member

Do you have the thru hull vent? I had a problem with the vent on my old Hewes and installing a new vent helped a lot. Also, check and see if the hose from the tank to the vent is kinked.

3. priscillatgorilla

priscillatgorilla I Love microskiff.com!

if your boat is equipped with a closed vent system - the charcoal canister is clogged - this should be in the area of the fuel fill -under deck

if you do not have the new style closed vent system - check the vent hose or the vent itself - these are clogged

dumb question:

boat recently compounded &waxed ?? done by machine ?

it's not pressure you heard - it's vacuum/negative pressure -fuel is being pulled out of the tank - physics says,air needs to take the place of that removed fuel...

4. Jsparacino@holmana

Stingray - thanks for responding and yes, I do have the new system and yes, it was negative pressure as you stated in your post. No compounding done recently and I checked the vent in the hull, removed it and the screen looks clear. I will take the charcoal canister out and inspect it.  Thanks again!

5. grovesnatcher

grovesnatcher Well-Known Member

If all the fuel issues above check out, then I would look into the motor. I've heard that the f70 and f40 have issues when the fuel injection heats up causing the motor to not want to run. I know headhunter on the mbc forum had many issues similar to yours.

6. Jsparacino@holmana

I did some testing over the weekend and I am leaning more towards the motor now. I ran the boat on a separate tank and the problem still occurred.

7. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Next time your out, if the problem starts to happen just take off the gas fill cap. If it keeps happening then it's your motor

8. Jsparacino@holmana

Thanks for all the help - turned out to be the fuel cooler - clogged up and causing the fuel to boil under certain circumstances - being repaired as we speak.

Joe