Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Tank vent issue on 2014 HB Pro

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jsparacino@holmana 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there has had this problem. My 2014 Pro is new to me but it has around 90 hours on it. Since I took ownership I have taken the boat out six times - all with no issues. Today I had a problem while I was out fishing, after shutting down and fishing an area, the boat would start and than die immediately, would not idle. I tried everything I could, checked the fuel filter, squeezed the ball for more pressure. Nothing, just start up and die. A boater came by and told me to loosen the gas cap, when I did, I could here pressure coming out. After that the engine started and ran fine until the same thing happened later in the day. When I got home I checked the vent valve in the side of the hull - it was clear and had no obstructions. just wondering what else could be the issue. When I blew into the vent valve with the gas cap off I could here the bubbles in the tank so I know its clear. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated. Thanks

Joe

#3 ·
if your boat is equipped with a closed vent system - the charcoal canister is clogged - this should be in the area of the fuel fill -under deck

if you do not have the new style closed vent system - check the vent hose or the vent itself - these are clogged

dumb question:

boat recently compounded &waxed ?? done by machine ?

it's not pressure you heard - it's vacuum/negative pressure -fuel is being pulled out of the tank - physics says,air needs to take the place of that removed fuel...

#4 ·
Stingray - thanks for responding and yes, I do have the new system and yes, it was negative pressure as you stated in your post. No compounding done recently and I checked the vent in the hull, removed it and the screen looks clear. I will take the charcoal canister out and inspect it.  Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.