Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Space coast guy, moved away for a few years and now I'm coming back to Tampa July 15. I've gone down a few times in the last month or so in an effort to feel out the different areas but I just haven't had time to get everywhere. My requirements arent crazy I don't think, so here goes. ..
Under $400k, not a suburbia type neighborhood....I loosely define this as a place where it would be far outside the norm to find a neighbors car in front of my house, within 20 minutes of someplace I can launch the boat, and ideally an established neighborhood.

Any advice you all could give would be much appreciated and I'll use it to narrow my search down.

·
Registered
2018 Ankona Cayenne
95 Posts
Avoid areas of Brandon, Riverview and Gibsonton near the Alafia River unless you like your boat or lower unit stolen. Apollo Beach has a lot of development going in currently so be prepared for long drive time to the north side of the county. Ruskin is still the best option for South Shore, but again you share the same drive time concerns. For Old Tampa Bay, look at the Gandy and Macdill areas. Most of the ramps are in the north side of Hillsborough County water with only a handful south of the City of Tampa. I drive routinely 65 miles to launch outside of the county, but largely due to where I love to fish.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I liked Apollo but yeah the drive had me concerned. I routinely drive about 40 minutes each way now, do you think it would be longer than that to get to Macdill at 5AM?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Try Port Tampa its next to MacDill and their is multiple ramps near by. Your problem may be where to store your boat though. Town n Country is close to the base and you can have your boat in your yard. The areas next to the water are nice but inland can get iffy. Traffic sucks everywhere and if you don't live near a ramp then your fishing times are determine more by traffic times and not the tides! However, the bay is pretty healthy and fishing is good.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that's another issue. I have a vehicle problem, in that I own too many. I have 4 cars and 2 boats. Hopefully I can offload the old boat before I move. One of the hardest things I have ran into so far is finding anything with space for all my crap but still close to water. I actually found a couple houses in the north Brandon area just south of I4, but now yall have me nervous to keep looking there!

@makin moves , are you talking near the Wesley Chapel area or further North?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Yeah that's another issue. I have a vehicle problem, in that I own too many. I have 4 cars and 2 boats. Hopefully I can offload the old boat before I move. One of the hardest things I have ran into so far is finding anything with space for all my crap but still close to water. I actually found a couple houses in the north Brandon area just south of I4, but now yall have me nervous to keep looking there!

@makin moves , are you talking near the Wesley Chapel area or further North?
Yes Wesley Chapel area any where close to 75 and you should be in business. If you need a agent to work with you thats what my brother does. Sells 10-12 houses a month and has serious knowledge of the Tampa Bay market. Alot of little neighborhoods that could fit you needs. If you need his info let me know. Good luck brother. On a side note my buddy bought a house on the edge of plant city for a great price, close to i4 and mins from Brandon. So many options.

·
Registered
2018 Ankona Cayenne
95 Posts
By 0500 no issues usually unless a bad crash stops you. If coming from South Shore, use the Crosstown, and it would dump you off at Gandy and likely save you about 20-25 minutes. Using other routes is going to cost you a heap of wasted time. Avoid I-4 as much as you can. I recently heard FDOT is also constructing a new I-4/I-275 interchange so it will be a mess no matter which road is used.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just make sure no matter where you go you don;t have to cross the HF bridge any time of day or night to get where you have to go....

My son lives in S. Tampa, just off S. WestShore, 20 minutes to Gandy Ramp, 25 minutes to a ramp off 275 across the HF past St. Pete area forget the name, but its an easy shot straight out to the Gulf and easy run to Skyway bridge for bait or Kingfish. but where he lives there is nothing affordable but lots for sale.

Sister lives in an area off the Hillsbourough River, near MLK bridge, sort of nice area, old houses there are in your price range, but its a haul to a ramp from there.
She has a dock on the river with 2 lifts, its a slow 20 minute ride to the bay from there, another 20 minutes on plane run to any good inshore fishing grounds from there.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.