Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold the Yellowfin and I’m already itching.

I still have, and love my Towee but I’m tired of having multiple boats and the Towee only does some of what I want. I know there isn’t a one size fits all boat. If there was, I’d have owned it.

I want ONE boat that:

- Can fish winter low reds in negative tides, solo or with a friend, quietly with easy poling.

- Can cross Charlotte Harbor without soaking me or completely beating me to death in a chop.

- Can fish the tarpon bar in summer without fear of sinking

- Carry a good load and have a good range for ENP camping trips

- 50 or 60 hp for 30 mph cruise

- Duck and gator hunting

- Fair weather Keys trips

- Skinny water fly and nearshore fly in the right weather.

I know there are a few skiffs that do this but I’m done spending big money on boats. I’m not buying an HB or a Chittum. So, I’m looking at Chris Morejohn’s skiffs. The Beryllium in particular.

I can glass. I’ve built a few stitch and glue boats. I can afford it. I have a killer shop at my house. Please, for the love of god, tell me why I shouldn’t tackle this. I’d love to hear from you guys that have, and from those of you that tried and quit (I know you’re out there), and from those of you that considered it and just bought something instead.

My wife is trying to talk me out of it. Your turn.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Do you mind having everything in your shop covered in dust for at least the next 5 -10 years?
You will be finding sanding dust everywhere.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would wheel it out of the shop for the sanding. I know. It’s brutal.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Unless you are doing it for the pure enjoyment and reward of building one. I would just buy one. I would love to build one. I just don’t have the time. I enjoy building things. However I would not do a piece together with screws, tape and glue. Then glass. I would build it from a mold.

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
I’m in the build it camp. I think if you spend the time you would be on the water, working on your skiff you’ll be done before you know it. And when you do have it on the water you’ll be damn proud

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should mention I’m a builder. A home builder. A fly fisherman. Tier of my own flies. I’m building my own Oyster bamboo rod in GA next month. Maybe I’m afflicted? I love building stuff. I’m a bit of a sadist and purist that way. Www.joshwynneconstruction.com

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You appear to be a good businessman. You shouldn’t have enough time on your hands to build a skiff. The rods, flies and such yes. Run your business, buy a skiff and do the small fun projects on your personal time and fish. Family time too if that applies.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You got your hands full. Make money while the economy is roaring.

Pay Travis or Boatbrains to build it for you and shave months off the wait time.
I’m interested in this. These guys build Chris’ skiffs for paying customers?

·
BBA Counselor
7,230 Posts
Just look at my build thread, lol. My 4th boat and this build went sideways quickly. My time frame was 6 months, I'm now officially at 2 years and not close to being done yet.
Build if you love to do it, but if you love fishing more then just buy a boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,074 Posts
I just sold the Yellowfin and I’m already itching.

I still have, and love my Towee but I’m tired of having multiple boats and the Towee only does some of what I want. I know there isn’t a one size fits all boat. If there was, I’d have owned it.

I want ONE boat that:

- Can fish winter low reds in negative tides, solo or with a friend, quietly with easy poling.

- Can cross Charlotte Harbor without soaking me or completely beating me to death in a chop.

- Can fish the tarpon bar in summer without fear of sinking

- Carry a good load and have a good range for ENP camping trips

- 50 or 60 hp for 30 mph cruise

- Duck and gator hunting

- Fair weather Keys trips

- Skinny water fly and nearshore fly in the right weather.

I know there are a few skiffs that do this but I’m done spending big money on boats. I’m not buying an HB or a Chittum. So, I’m looking at Chris Morejohn’s skiffs. The Beryllium in particular.

I can glass. I’ve built a few stitch and glue boats. I can afford it. I have a killer shop at my house. Please, for the love of god, tell me why I shouldn’t tackle this. I’d love to hear from you guys that have, and from those of you that tried and quit (I know you’re out there), and from those of you that considered it and just bought something instead.

My wife is trying to talk me out of it. Your turn.
Don't do it!

But
I bet you will

·
Registered
792 Posts
The boat you’re looking for exists (Chittum). But if you don’t want to spend the money, then I guess the last option is to build the boat you want.

Reactions: Renegade

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ok, I will give a serious answer.

With family, work, and responsibilities I cannot get out and fish every day or always even every week. So a big part of the fun of fly fishing is fly tying, rod building, organizing and reorganizing your gear and for the last couple of months boat building.

I have really enjoyed my build. I am close to finished....sort of and my guess for total build time will be about 9 months, and a final boat motor trailer price for my
Conchfish 16 of around 10 grand. Could I have bought a used shadowcast, mitzi, ect. for a similar price without the build time sure, would I with lots of patience trolling the used boat market find a comparable boat for the money......maybe. My paint job will not be show room perfect. No matter how good the end product looks/functions I always finish a project knowing what I did wrong, and thinking about how I will do better next time, and that pursuit of "better" is part of the fun.

If you like building/making things for your hobby and sometimes think I have an idea that would make this fly, rod, boat better and don't need the boat in a hurry you will enjoy the process.

Disclaimer: Make sure the wife is OK with it before you begin. You will get sanding dust in the house at some point right after she cleans, and you might even accidentally get paint all over a door knob when you forget you are wearing paint covered glove and decide to go inside. Don't forget the countless hours you spend working on the boat may make her think your boat is your new mistress and more important than she is. Boat building is fun, but balancing it with family time is important. My wife has been pretty awesome about my build, but had she not agreed to let me build it.........I doubt the nice dinners or date nights would be enough to keep the peace.

G

·
Ok, I will give a serious answer.

With family, work, and responsibilities I cannot get out and fish every day or always even every week. So a big part of the fun of fly fishing is fly tying, rod building, organizing and reorganizing your gear and for the last couple of months boat building.

I have really enjoyed my build. I am close to finished....sort of and my guess for total build time will be about 9 months, and a final boat motor trailer price for my
Conchfish 16 of around 10 grand. Could I have bought a used shadowcast, mitzi, ect. for a similar price without the build time sure, would I with lots of patience trolling the used boat market find a comparable boat for the money......maybe. My paint job will not be show room perfect. No matter how good the end product looks/functions I always finish a project knowing what I did wrong, and thinking about how I will do better next time, and that pursuit of "better" is part of the fun.

If you like building/making things for your hobby and sometimes think I have an idea that would make this fly, rod, boat better and don't need the boat in a hurry you will enjoy the process.

Disclaimer: Make sure the wife is OK with it before you begin. You will get sanding dust in the house at some point right after she cleans, and you might even accidentally get paint all over a door knob when you forget you are wearing paint covered glove and decide to go inside. Don't forget the countless hours you spend working on the boat may make her think your boat is your new mistress and more important than she is. Boat building is fun, but balancing it with family time is important. My wife has been pretty awesome about my build, but had she not agreed to let me build it.........I doubt the nice dinners or date nights would be enough to keep the peace.
Well said

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
I should mention I’m a builder. A home builder. A fly fisherman. Tier of my own flies. I’m building my own Oyster bamboo rod in GA next month. Maybe I’m afflicted? I love building stuff. I’m a bit of a sadist and purist that way. Www.joshwynneconstruction.com
Those are beautiful homes!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts