Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Too many variables but the approaches already posted are good. What hasn't been mentioned is the buddy you are fishing with and where they are from. If I am fishing with somebody who gets to fish the salt a lot then its pretty much the standard catch a fish and switch. Or get several shots and don't connect then switch.

But if I have a buddy visiting then I may let them fish most of the time. A guy comes from Idaho for a short visit he is going to get most of the bow time. I can go catch a redfish tomorrow or the next day or the next day. He has to go back to the snow.

And it also depends a LOT on how the fishing is. Had a buddy here two weeks ago. Fishing was really awful. I let him stand on the bow a lot. But he wasn't getting shots anyway. So its not like I was missing anything by being on the back. And in fact since he's a better caster than I am our odds of sliming the boat were a bit better with him on the bow than me. Besides I got to pole him to a true trophy.....gafftop on fly......LOL
Framed picture of course.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Caught fish or a few missed shots is a good rule IF the guy you're with knows how to pole. I have several buddies that I take who cannot pole and I have zero patience with them trying to learn, especially when its blowing or tides running hard. I would rather pole and cover ground and catch fish as a team.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Too many variables but the approaches already posted are good. What hasn't been mentioned is the buddy you are fishing with and where they are from. If I am fishing with somebody who gets to fish the salt a lot then its pretty much the standard catch a fish and switch. Or get several shots and don't connect then switch.

But if I have a buddy visiting then I may let them fish most of the time. A guy comes from Idaho for a short visit he is going to get most of the bow time. I can go catch a redfish tomorrow or the next day or the next day. He has to go back to the snow.

And it also depends a LOT on how the fishing is. Had a buddy here two weeks ago. Fishing was really awful. I let him stand on the bow a lot. But he wasn't getting shots anyway. So its not like I was missing anything by being on the back. And in fact since he's a better caster than I am our odds of sliming the boat were a bit better with him on the bow than me. Besides I got to pole him to a true trophy.....gafftop on fly......LOL
You knew I would read this @ifsteve LOL!!! We made the best of that gafftop, sight casted that bugger! Next time we don't have to rinse the boat off quite that hard to get the slime off though. Seriously though, thanks for letting me spend so much time up front.

Back to the topic of discussion, when I'm fishing with the folks I normally with with, we switch after every fish or a handful of good shots on target. You will immediately lose your turn up front if you trout set and miss. That likely will come with a barrage of insults and sarcastic remarks. If you trout set and stick the fish, you only get sarcastic remarks. I fish with a fair number of folks that don't get to fish the salt from a skiff so they get lots and lots of bow time. In many cases, they really can't pole and I'd prefer that they fish rather than spin the boat in circles with the push pole. A lot of times it depends on how we are feeling. Most all of my usual buddies can pole and cast good, and some can cast incredibly well so it's fun to just watch their casting. I guess we are pretty fortunate in that regard since we can trade off whose skiff we take out and can pole or cast equally well.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If you are seeing fish in skinny water, try to limit all the moving around. Even with doing it carefully , you are sending pressure waves out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Although I really do enjoy watching my friends catch fish I also enjoy catching fish just as much. Normally its a three shot rule, either you catch a fish in those three shots or you dont and you switch. It can also depend on how the fish are acting that day, sometimes they just wont eat anything you throw at them (had that happen in a tournament and no matter how good my presentation was they would not eat anything I threw at them for two days, buddy I was with caught both fish between both days). Some people just have the hot hand that trip, and I dont mind letting them catch a few fish before we switch and they have to pole me around for a hour or so (can happen the opposite way as well)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will usually pole until they want to switch. Some of friends can't pole worth a shat, so I'll push all day. Regardless, I always like to start out poling so I can know if we are in fish or not. Once I know we are on fish, I will come down.

·
Registered
'14 HB Pro & '09 HB Glades Skiff
66 Posts
When on my skiff, i always pole first (just a courtesy thing). I may pole for an hour or until a fish is caught. Usually will leave him up front to catch 2 or 3 if we are on fish. No big hurry for me. I enjoy putting the guy on fish when we find em. I will get my shots and fish throughout the day. If i blow too many casts IMO, I'll say F'it and get back on the pole to clear out the funk and drink a cold snap. Time on the pole for me usually is a little more than time on the casting platform. I don't mind, I'm just happy to be on the water and in the hunt.
Fortunately, i typically fish with people that know how to poll 95% of the time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
819 Posts
The guys I fish are not worried about political correctness or hurting someone's feelings, if you miss a couple fish on the bow, the guy poling is going to tell you get the F up here and pole and let me show you how it it is done...lol

·
waterman 16
445 Posts
You will immediately lose your turn up front if you trout set and miss. That likely will come with a barrage of insults and sarcastic remarks. If you trout set and stick the fish, you only get sarcastic remarks.
I have been known to use the pointy end of the pole on my buddies who make these mistakes...

·
waterman 16
445 Posts
Nah you just have a conventional rig with a plastic on your hip and catch the fish they miss. Much more satisfying.
I get that. Totally understand the point. A long time ago, I decided to never snipe from the back. It is too much temptation. If they miss the shot, well that's ok. Better "conversation" back at the trailer that evening! lol

·
Registered
6 Posts

Well said. This is basically what I do. Mostly only fish with known outlaws, however on some trips you are fishing with a new guy. With my buds sometimes I just say stay up there because I am enjoying my beer. The other day we had the guide up there for 4 fish.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I fished with a guy from Utah for a week. It was his first time flats fishing. What wound up working for us was for me to push whenever the conditions made it too difficult for him to control the boat. And he jumped on the platform when we found a situation that was a little easier for him to manage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have one buddy of damn near equal skill with the fly rod and poling, he and I typically switch off every hour or so and fish enough to not even have to talk much about when the time is right. I have another buddy who is much lower skill with the rod and completely incompetent poling. It's a lot different of a day. I usually pole the whole time with him, which is fine with me but probably wouldn't be for others. I use those outings as practice for myself, trying to get him into better positions and using the misses as a learning experience, and pretending I'm a guide for practice for years down the road if I decide to get licensed. He buys me a better lunch than the other guy 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have one buddy of damn near equal skill with the fly rod and poling, he and I typically switch off every hour or so and fish enough to not even have to talk much about when the time is right. I have another buddy who is much lower skill with the rod and completely incompetent poling. It's a lot different of a day. I usually pole the whole time with him, which is fine with me but probably wouldn't be for others. I use those outings as practice for myself, trying to get him into better positions and using the misses as a learning experience, and pretending I'm a guide for practice for years down the road if I decide to get licensed. He buys me a better lunch than the other guy 🤷‍♂️
Have you ever considered that he might be punking you ? :ROFLMAO:

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,523 Posts
I'm anti-social. It's just me on the skiff.
Who knew it was going to be a survival skill, what with covid and all, eh? ;)
I pole all morning long with the rod in a holder at my foot, ready to make a cast
and the pole leash hanging on my belt ready to clip off before I do.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts