Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in getting some opinions on this. How long does one stay on the poling platform for before getting bow time? Number of shots, fish landed or time, etc.? Does it matter who’s boat and who your fishing with?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Some sort of timer is the best or a partner that realizes okay, it's time to swap out. If the action is hot and heavy, we usually do catch a fish (even two minutes into your turn) and you get down. This is problematic if one angler is better than the other. That is where the number of shots comes in.

Reactions: not2shabby

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2013 Towee Rivermaster SRO
36 Posts
The rule I’ve always followed, with a fly, is you get a shot and catch or miss, then it’s the other guy’s turn. I went on a hosted trip once with three guys I didn’t know and three I did. Got stuck with one of the unknowns on day two and watched him flail and miss 25 or 30 fish for about 3 hours til the guide told him to sit down. You don’t want to be that guy. Practice and prepare before you go so your shots count. If you suck as bad on cast 10 as you did on cast 1, it ain’t the fish.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That question is as old as Banana River skiffs and there's still no clear answer. I have opinions, but I fish with a few guys on here, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut and just be grateful for my opportunities to get on the skiff with good guys.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Too many variables but the approaches already posted are good. What hasn't been mentioned is the buddy you are fishing with and where they are from. If I am fishing with somebody who gets to fish the salt a lot then its pretty much the standard catch a fish and switch. Or get several shots and don't connect then switch.

But if I have a buddy visiting then I may let them fish most of the time. A guy comes from Idaho for a short visit he is going to get most of the bow time. I can go catch a redfish tomorrow or the next day or the next day. He has to go back to the snow.

And it also depends a LOT on how the fishing is. Had a buddy here two weeks ago. Fishing was really awful. I let him stand on the bow a lot. But he wasn't getting shots anyway. So its not like I was missing anything by being on the back. And in fact since he's a better caster than I am our odds of sliming the boat were a bit better with him on the bow than me. Besides I got to pole him to a true trophy.....gafftop on fly......LOL

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Mine is pretty much like the rest of the guys on here. Catch a fish (A legitimate fish, not a ladyfish) or 3 missed shots (or 3 snags in the mangroves). If the fishing is hot, we might do 2 fish and switch. If it is a new person on the bow and they don't know how to pole, I will push them all day. If it is a regular fishing friend that still can't pole, I push all day but once they have a fish, I get first shot from the polling platform until I get one.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,044 Posts
Usually 3 legitimate shots or a fish. If time is short for the tide I will usually just push. I almost always fish with the wife and sometimes it can be challenging to get bow time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My boat I pole. I really enjoy watching people catch fish that I put them on. I will switch out but it’s not time or fish based. It’s whenever the other person decides they want to pole and I let them.
Same. I will add that even if they are missing shots but we see fish I still just enjoy poling and learning why fish are there are why didn’t get them.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like everyone is like minded on this topic and three shots is most common. I also pole until the other person offers to get on the platform as I enjoy calling shots and putting people on fish. Unless they are consistently blowing shots. Reading all these comments confirms that I need to find some new people to fish with haha.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts