Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Seeing what folks do with the bottom of the skiff hull as far as treating oyster scratches/skuffs. I bought my skiff used from a guide, so I obviously have quite a few of them, in fact, it almost looks like the bottom of the hull was textured that way.

My plan is this:
- Do minor repair on the more substantial skuffs that penetrate the gel-coat ASAP, while boat is on the trailer.
- Any techniques for getting to places that are obscured by the trailer side bunks?

My question is this:
- What is the best way to get to the entire bottom to do more extensive repair work and to turn the bottom back to "like new"? Do guys flip their boats upside down somehow to do extensive work like this? (am guessing that the motor would have to come off prior to doing that, as well as fuel drained)
- I'd be planning this for the end of season, and am not in the position to send back to HB for a full up factory restore (I am sure that is upwards of $10k, anyways)
- Most of the scratches are all cosmetic, but Ideally would like to get the boat back to square one, so I am in the place to control/witness any future scratches

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Tyler

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,591 Posts
Check the owners section of the HB website. They offer a special "bottom repair/refinish" a couple times a year for owners and it's pretty good deal from what I've been told.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it's small enough to flip, that's going to be the best way to go about it. If it's not...I've improvised by putting it up on blocks while on the trailer, as well as by lifting the transom with ratchet straps (or both).

·
Mostly Harmless
2,181 Posts
When you get a chance and the boat has been out of the water for a week or two, just scuff the scratches that are through the gel coat with 100 grit sanding block, wipe them with acetone and give them a quick coat of neat epoxy to seal water out of the underlying glass. Don't bother to sand it afterwards. This is nothing more than a bandaid, but it is all you'll want to tackle under the trailer. Don't try to fill, fair and paint them at this time. You will find that working upside down under a boat on a trailer is a miserable experience. Most of the time, you won't have space to use a creeper. The prep work and repair for a small area on the bottom of a trailered boat will take almost as long as prepping and recoating the entire bottom on a flipped hull.

You can use two jacks and a heavily padded 2x4 to lift one side of the hull at a time so you can place foam blocks between the hull and the bunks. This will get you just enough working space to make the sloppy bandaid I described above.

After that, just fish it until you can flip it and fix the entire bottom right. HB aren't wood cored, so there is no hurry. While it is do-able in your garage, I'd send it back to HB for a touch up once finances allow.

Nate

·
Registered
986 Posts
For small gelcoat scratches or chips you need to look into spectrum patch paste.

Just tape off the area, light sand, clean with acetone and apply the patch paste accordingly. Once it is dry then come back and wet sand it down, compound and finish. It will be good as new. I used it on my Beavertail, the fighting lady yellow color and it turned out perfect. Cant tell.

http://www.iboats.com/TideWater-201...-Repair-Kit-Spectrum-Color/dm/view_id.1099543

·
Carpe Diem
1,753 Posts
Doing any kind of serious bottom work while the boat is on a trailer is almost impossible. Stripping and flipping the hull is the best way to do bottom repairs. Next best is tilting the boat on one side. If neither of these methods is possible, get a set of jack stands and get the boat off the trailer and up on blocks high enough so that you can work comfortably. Better still, let HB do it.

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,591 Posts
just a heads up i believe that the fluff and buff is only what they can reach while its on the trailer. they dont do the underside.
Not sure of that...this was taken from the owners page. It might have changed since posted?

"The Hell's Bay Genuine Service Department is proud to offer a "Fluff and Buff" Special. Bring your skiff in from February 4 to March 4 and have our HB Genuine Service Team remove the scuffs and scrapes from the bottom of your hull, followed by a new coat of wax

All of this work for the special price of $395.00. Call the Factory at (321) 383-8223 and ask for or Service Manager Paul Payne or email him at [email protected] to schedule your appointment".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts