Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people the fishing story you are about to read is 100% true and factual.The year was 1969 I was 17 and so were my fishing buddy and his friend.We started out leaving Orlando after work on a Friday at 6:00 pm.We going down to fish Bonita Springs Fl and would return Sunday afternoon.We were taking my fishing buddy Steve’s dad boat a little 15 ft. Tri hull with walk through windshield with a 70 hp Johnson.Towing it with Steve’s car a Chevy 2 Nova 1963 which by the way burned so much oil we had to take 2 quarts plus a one gallon cleaned out plastic milk jug full of oil.Ok we were just out of high school and didn’t have much money but we were going fishing no matter what.Remember that No Matter What ! Steve’s friend was Don who worked at a gas station who talked his boss into letting us use for the weekend a bolt on trailer hitch for free.Only problem was it bolted onto the metal bumper you say why was it a problem that year Chevy the gas cap was under the hinged license plate.So when you bolted on the hitch which had 6 inch long U bolts it covered up the license plate.No big deal we were only going to have to get gas a few times and we brought some tools for that.So we are off cruising down the road finally going fishing.About 70 miles down the road a guy pulls up besides us and tells us our tail lights aren’t working so we pull over and sure enough the tail light fuse had blown.Don and I look at Steve and ask him did you bring any spare fuses of course not we are 17 and going fishing No Matter What.So stuck on the side off the road and it is really dark no street lights Don has a idea he says if you take the foil from the inside of a cigarette package and wrap it around the fuse it should work and I was shocked when those tail lights came on.So were off again feeling like nothing could stop us now oh did I mention we had to use one of those quarts of oil when we’re stopped yes but we were making good time and didn’t want to stop anymore even though we were going to be running on fumes when we got there.We finally have arrived it’s a little after 11 pm and where we usually launched the boat a marina was closed and had a chain across the ramp.Dog poo what are we going to do now.I walked down to the water and saw this small dirt ramp a couple houses down I told the guys hey let’s just quietly slip the boat in over there and bring the car over here at the marina and park it.We did no incident and now are officially on the water.So we forgot to bring a spot light and decided we would just anchor up at one of the lighted docks and fish and sleep till first light.First light here we go from

Little Hickory Pass to New Pass back waters marked almost to New Pass and see on the flats a big school of fish exploding everywhere.We start throwing mirro lures and catching Jacks then it goes quite.So we start looking around for more schools on the flats and about and hour later we find them this time it is trout everywhere. I am fishing out of the front and Steve and Don are standing on a big cooler throwing out of the back of the boat.All of sudden in the excitement Steve yells damit Don you just snagged my hair when you tried to cast.Oh did I mention these weren’t new lures they were old with rusty hooks.Also this was the time when everyone had long hair.Steve says get it out now it hurts I come and see a trickle of blood running down his head I turn to Don and said you hooked him in the top of his scalp you get it out.Don says let’s take the only pair of old kind of rusty fishing pliers snip off the rest of the treble hooks and just leave the shank sticking straight up about a quarter inch exposed.So Steve tells Don just yank it out it throbbing.Well Don had this look on his face I will never forget his hands were shaking Steve braced for the yank and Don yanked and it just moved enough for Steve to let out yell and said did you get it out and Don looked at me and broke the bad news to Steve it was still in there and bleeding worse now.The first thing Steve said was I have heard you can get lock jaw from a rusty hook if you haven’t had a tetanus shot I couldn’t help myself and started cracking up. Steve says let’s go we have to go find a doctor to get this rusty hook out.So we crank up drive the boat back to the marina go inside and ask the lady there as she gets a look at the hook sticking in his head says oh my you got to go to the emergency clinic about 6 or 7 miles up the road.So we pile in the car and start to leave and the car is out of gas no problem they have gas and a can at the marina oh wait did you forget that the trailer hitch is bolted to the bumper over the gas cap under the license plate.Yes we start unbolting and find that we had forgot when we put it on it had fine threads and you could only use a open end wrench to get the nuts off.It took 30 to 45 minutes to get it off the whole time Steve keeps talking about lock jaw and cussing Don.I said to them this is like a nightmare you just to wake up and be done with it.Finally gas is in heading to clinic and we get there and it is Saturday and the parking lot is full.We go inside and they Steve go too the end of the line it will about 2-3 hours.I told Steve and Don I am going to wait in the car and try to get some sleep.Did I mention it was August and hot as a fire.Sure enough 3 hours later they come out and Steve got his tetanus shot and 3 stitches and we were on our way back to the boat because No Matter What we were going fishing.We finally drive the boat to New Pass and start fishing that afternoon near sundown and we are finally catching snook and reds life is good when all
of sudden Don gets a big snook on he is jumping and fighting like the big ones do and Steve says to Don did you put a new leader on he looks at us with that look of oh no I didn’t about that line broke and his biggest snook ever was gone.Steve looks at Don and says ain’t karma a bitch! Thanks for hanging in there to the end and it was all true.

·
Brandon, FL
9,288 Posts
I fished those passes many times when I lived down there.

Great story

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was going to say "How did he get so much in just two paragraphs - even though the break was accidental!" but then, after reading, I think it was best just the way it was written!!! Great story.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Now that's funny.

We know there are alot of good stories out there in our heads that we may be afraid to share for fear of being judged on spelling, puncutaion, accuracy, etc.... happy this one is no longer just in someones head!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts