Tackle Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by topnative2, Dec 7, 2014.

1. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

I was looking at falcon rods which are hustled on "Flats Class" and I see they are using stainless steel chrome guides. I thought that was kinda cheap way to go for what appears to be a good rod.

Do we have anybody w/ any experience w/ them?

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

No but its my general consensus to not buy things that are pitched to death on fishing shows, until general public has had time to determine the good/bad of said product.

3. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Kinda like the Blue B. Wiggins rods that were first introduced. They were complete junk...

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

And carrot sticks
    thankfully i live less than 2 miles from Crowder Rods. Walk in there, get what i want for cheap since its factory direct and im out. They work well and if warranty issues come up its a super easy walk in, walk out

5. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

I've built quite a few rods. A nice set of guides can sometimes cost more than the actual blank, you're putting them on. I've spent nearly 100 bucks on a set of titanium REC's, and the op of the line Fuji's are even more pricey. Pretty much any rod in the 80 to 150 dollar range, are going to have guides that are sub-par. Now, I just buy TFO spinning rods, from a store, and will replace with a more quality guide, if or when needed.

I've never used any of the falcon rods, but I wouldn't dismiss them cause they're pushed on a show. If I were interested I would try and find an outfitter near me, and see how it feels. Some of my favorite rods, bought at a store, have been Fenwick's... very nice rods for the money.

6. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

The TFO line of spinning rods are really hard to beat. I have several and really have had no issues with them. Hurricane Red Bones are not too bad either. I have a few of the larger/heavy action for fishing live bait for larger fish or off the beach. I use to be a fan of the All Star rods but had issued with the epoxy around the guides cracking so I don't buy them anymore..

7. topnative2

Do you happen to know which Fuji guides the redbones use?

Customer service does not have a clue.

8. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

On their website, they say they're using the concept guides. Which, unless it's changed, are alconite. They're a decent guide. I have had issues with the alconite insert popping or even breaking out of the guide. Any two part guide is vulnerable to this, though.

9. topnative2

Thanks.----nice catch----amazing customer service did not know this and I am obviously blind!!!!!!!!!