Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Tackle Storage other than Yeti

7K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  SnookFisher 
#1 ·
So in a moment of weakness I bought a Yeti GoBox for tackle storage. Although pricey…it’s a quality piece of gear. I quickly ran out of room so I started looking elsewhere for a waterproof storage box. Enter the 5-gallon Husky Storage Container found at Home Depot.

Slightly less than $20-dollars….I sprayed it white with a leftover can of Rustoleum. The box only comes in red….and I thought the contents might be a bit cooler with white. The Yeti sticker was added for street cred. The lid is clear acrylic with a soft rubber gasket around the perimeter. It’s all plastic construction so rust is not a worry. The box comes in three (3) sizes with the 5-gallon being the mid-sized. Time will tell how effective the box will be for my needs.

Anyhow….thought I’d share in case any of you monkeys are interested.
Product Font Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Office equipment

Product Font Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Office equipment

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Yup....or some 3$ off brand plano type boxes hung in an old car trunk cargo net with a tool bag tied to the front. (I BS you not)
Waterproof? I plan on my tackle getting wet.
The only things in a waterproof container (Zip Lock bag) on the boat are the PFDs. I don't plan on getting those wet.

Yeti, or fake Yeti for street cred? You can't buy, spray paint or get a sticker for credibility. That comes with sunburn and blood on the deck.

Nice job on the box though. Thanks for sharing. Does look kind a cool

#7 ·
I've had these things pop up in my various social feeds for the last few weeks. I'm going to buy one this afternoon and see what happens. If anything it will be a new "essentials" box I keep in a hatch and for the lady to put her valuables in.

Nice work on the custom fab work!

#8 ·
“Yeti, or fake Yeti for street cred? You can't buy, spray paint or get a sticker for credibility. That comes with sunburn and blood on the deck.”

That was a tongue-in-cheek comment. 😉

#10 ·
Always appreciate an ad campaign that's so successful... folks start believing all that stuff as though it were gospel....
Yes, they make a solid product - but for me I'd rather not be paying for all that advertising when I buy something...

Sorry to de-rail - here's what I've favored as a tackle box on my skiff for years now... It's nothing but a cheap Coleman 17qt cooler. Don't believe I've ever paid as much as $20 for one.. I add a carefully cut out vinyl grid work that fits exactly to the interior bottom of the box and I keep four Plano 3700 boxes (they take up around half the interior --and are changed out with additional boxes as needed) - along with ziplock bags for flies in plastic sleeves, as well as a few smaller plastic boxes (sinkers, leadheads, spoons, and one small box with poppers).

I was taught long ago that any cooler was by design much drier than almost any tackle box made... I add one other item, a bungee cord latch to keep the lid closed tightly... That gridwork in the bottom takes care of any slight amount of water intrusion by keeping those boxes and all other gear about 1/4 to 3/8" off the bottom..

One of the biggest hassles with being on the water day after day is keeping your gear dry - particularly on a skiff with no inner liner - and as a result very little in the way of storage compartments... The "tackle box" that I've just described really fills the need for me...

#11 ·
Always appreciate an ad campaign that's so successful... folks start believing all that stuff as though it were gospel....
Yes, they make a solid product - but for me I'd rather not be paying for all that advertising when I buy something...

Sorry to de-rail - here's what I've favored as a tackle box on my skiff for years now... It's nothing but a cheap Coleman 17qt cooler. Don't believe I've ever paid as much as $20 for one.. I add a carefully cut out vinyl grid work that fits exactly to the interior bottom of the box and I keep four Plano 3700 boxes (they take up around half the interior --and are changed out with additional boxes as needed) - along with ziplock bags for flies in plastic sleeves, as well as a few smaller plastic boxes (sinkers, leadheads, spoons, and one small box with poppers).

I was taught long ago that any cooler was by design much drier than almost any tackle box made... I add one other item, a bungee cord latch to keep the lid closed tightly... That gridwork in the bottom takes care of any slight amount of water intrusion by keeping those boxes and all other gear about 1/4 to 3/8" off the bottom..

One of the biggest hassles with being on the water day after day is keeping your gear dry - particularly on a skiff with no inner liner - and as a result very little in the way of storage compartments... The "tackle box" that I've just described really fills the need for me...
Got a pic of the interior Capt Bob?

#14 ·
I happen to have a 19qt Engle Dry Box cooler. It may work ok for a tackle box but get the largest one, the 19qt is not very big and there is no interior tray or organization. It's not made near as well as a rotomolded Engel cooler nor Yeti Go-Box.

The Engel 30qt dry box is $85. I would rather have my $40 Husky and since I can get a Yeti Go-Box for $200 which is much better built, I can't see a situation where I would buy the Engel Dry Box for a tackle box.

#13 ·
Will take a pic or two today and post it up... Looking at a similar small cooler now I'm not sure quoted the size correctly on my "tackle box". For actual comparison a Plano 3700 box stood on end fits inside that small cooler with about an inch or more to spare... When I post the pics I'll also do some measuring to give a better picture of what I'm using...

#17 ·
That Husky stuff is really good for the boat and priced OK. I use a couple of things but I will say that the material dye does not handle the sun very well.
It fades after a year or so with moderate use (at least in Fl).

If you care about such things you may want to spray it with some UV protection along with an extra dose of waterproofing.

#19 ·
View attachment 182808 View attachment 182809 So in a moment of weakness I bought a Yeti GoBox for tackle storage. Although pricey…it’s a quality piece of gear. I quickly ran out of room so I started looking elsewhere for a waterproof storage box. Enter the 5-gallon Husky Storage Container found at Home Depot.

Slightly less than $20-dollars….I sprayed it white with a leftover can of Rustoleum. The box only comes in red….and I thought the contents might be a bit cooler with white. The Yeti sticker was added for street cred. The lid is clear acrylic with a soft rubber gasket around the perimeter. It’s all plastic construction so rust is not a worry. The box comes in three (3) sizes with the 5-gallon being the mid-sized. Time will tell how effective the box will be for my needs.

View attachment 182806 View attachment 182806
View attachment 182806
View attachment 182808 View attachment 182809 So in a moment of weakness I bought a Yeti GoBox for tackle storage. Although pricey…it’s a quality piece of gear. I quickly ran out of room so I started looking elsewhere for a waterproof storage box. Enter the 5-gallon Husky Storage Container found at Home Depot.

View attachment 182806 View attachment 182806
View attachment 182806
Steve, how hard was it to get the handles off/back on without breaking anything?

#21 ·
They snap off easily. I got all of mine off and back on without breaking. That was a concern though.

Reactions: DBStoots
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.