Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s your favorite tackle bag for both flies and artificial lures?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Have never found a tackle bag (or box) that was perfectly dry in all conditions... so I long ago switched to small coolers that I keep a flexible 1/4" grid in the bottom of (don't know the name of the grid work - believe it's a product sold to sailboaters... Mine was just a piece of surplus found on a dusty shelf at Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale...). 3700 size Plano (or other make) boxes for lures, Ziplock plastic bags for flies in plastic sleeves...

Hope this helps, believe I've got a pic somewhere -I'll post it here if I can find it...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hadn’t even thought of looking at Igloo, and clever to just use a regular cooler with an attached non-slip bottom. Thanks.

Just to elaborate on my situation, since I’m essentially a gypsy currently (staying in a condo in PCB FL till mid-Feb) everything has to come out of the boat at the end of the day and hauled back to the room. So something with a shoulder strap would be nice but probably not critical. Staying dry is- already have enough to wash or rinse off each day. ;-)

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Hadn’t even thought of looking at Igloo, and clever to just use a regular cooler with an attached non-slip bottom. Thanks.

Just to elaborate on my situation, since I’m essentially a gypsy currently (staying in a condo in PCB FL till mid-Feb) everything has to come out of the boat at the end of the day and hauled back to the room. So something with a shoulder strap would be nice but probably not critical. Staying dry is- already have enough to wash or rinse off each day. ;-)
This one is actually designed for it! The tackle box is the perfect size for jigheads and if you remove it two standard sized fly boxes fit perfectly in the front zipper.
As far as waterproof- I put my keys, phone and wallet in the side zipper and they never get wet from waves or rain.

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
I've been using a Gill laptop computer bag for several years now. Made with Cordura nylon, it's water-resistant, not water-proof. It lays fairly flat in the forward bow compartment.

The zippered pocket on the flap holds pliers, leader spool, TM and PP remotes, sunglasses cloth and a hook file. Inner divided section holds a Plano box of lures, a couple fly boxes and a soft-plastic lure binder. It's also has slots for scissors, leader and pocket with flap for a handheld GPS. Came with a shoulder strap, but I don't normally use it.

Try to keep things simple and this has worked well for that purpose.

IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0448.JPG

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
For New2... that grid I was speaking about goes inside the cooler. It’s only function is to keep any water that does get into the cooler away from the tackle. When you’re fishing day after day in all kinds of conditions that’s pretty important.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
For New2... that grid I was speaking about goes inside the cooler. It’s only function is to keep any water that does get into the cooler away from the tackle. When you’re fishing day after day in all kinds of conditions that’s pretty important.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear.
DriDek?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,525 Posts
For conventional tackle, I use a Lews boat bag with Plano boxes for the tackle. For flies, I use Cliff Bugger and MFC large boxes

1 - 20 of 36 Posts