Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bennett trim tabs on my 1998 Egret have 4 extra holes that for the life of me I can't figure out why they are there. They don't impact performance and other than catching my wash rag when I clean the boat I mostly ignore. However after searching for possible reasons I still can't seam to find a purpose for them.

What say you?

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Cloud Gesture

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I imagine there are brackets that are available to where you could move the bottom of the actuator closer to the boat. The closer to the boat, the more dramatic effect bumping the switches have. But you would not be able to do it without moving the top of the actuator on the hull as well.

Reactions: permitchaser

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@baconegg&cheese That was my thought but none of the "current" mounts line up with these holes. Maybe something from 1998 did but none of them that I could find do now.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
2,099 Posts
I have seen anodes on trim tabs before. Just another possibility.

edit -- not saying there was ever an anode there, just that they may have put the holes in all tabs and "plugged" some of them with screws.

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@bryson I have too but they tend to be single hole anodes.

@stoked yup I though that too but again I could not find any adaptors online that would align with the holes. However this is the most likely possibility since the skiff was built for a Key's guide back in the day.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Since Bennetts have been around for years and years (the ones on my old Maverick are easily more than 30 years old now...) there have been many opportunities for owners to do a bit of customizing... I've seen baitwell pumps and other things mounted on top of the level plate and imagine in some cases they actually worked and solved a rigging problem of some sort. Of course when no longer needed you'll be going about plugging those holes with something or other... But that's just a guess on my part - based, though, on what I've seen done on a boat or two here or there...
If that was my rig I'd consider removing the bolts and epoxying two smooth pieces of sheet stainless over those holes instead to allow a smoother water flow than what exists now with those screwheads sticking out on what should be a smooth surface... By the way the trim tabs that Bennet has been using for years and years have no welds in them at all - making them a lot more durable than other brands over the years...

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bob.

I assumed there was some reason but my brain won't let go of the why. Just the way I'm wired I guess. LOL And my OCD is raging because they are a pain to clean around. I want to pull them off the skiff so I can polish the tabs but the screws get in the way. First world problems, I know. ;)

Cheers

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
506 Posts
Think I'd remove the bolts and fill with rivets.
No, no... if you're OCD the answer is to buy a TIG welder, teach yourself to TIG stainless, fill the holes, then ultimately replace the tabs with two or three successively better versions of your own design that eventually approach the utility value of what you started with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, no... if you're OCD the answer is to buy a TIG welder, teach yourself to TIG stainless, fill the holes, then ultimately replace the tabs with two or three successively better versions of your own design that eventually approach the utility value of what you started with.
I mean, I'd just sell the boat and find another one I liked with better tabs...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts