swing tongue for trailer

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by blondmonkey777, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Im getting a swing tongue for my trailer so it will fit in the garage, its the fulton one that fits a 3x3 galvinized box. My question is what is the best way to cut the tongue to put the swing tongue on? Sawzaw? also which blade should I go with.

2. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

A short metal blade, would be best. The red Diablo blades are really good. An angle grinder, with a thin metal disc, would probably work good too. Both tools can be pretty violent and dangerous if not used properly, so be careful and wear glasses of some kind.

3. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

circular saw w/ a metal cutting blade--- make what ever cuts u can with it and finish w/ sawzall w/ short metal blade

4. 10-4 I don't have a angle grinder handy at this house I'm at off at college, I'll prob end up starting the cut with a hacksaw then move to the sawzaw and clean up the edge. I'll try and keep the blade moving pretty slow so there isn't much blade hop

5. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

Then clamp some wood on the cutting edge to help guide the blade.

Circular saw is a snap then all u have is a short cut w/ sawzall

Crazy idea--- find your local metal building /install company and see if they would cut it for u---- they have a really cool saw that does it in a second--HD carries the saw-- i call it a hand held band saw

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Saws-Portable-Band-Saws/N-5yc1vZc2h4