Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here goes nothing...

After looking over literally every Conchfish build thread, and talking with a few of you guys, im ready to pull the trigger on starting a Beryllium skiff. Not sure what length I will go with yet, but I am thinking a 17-18' finished product would be fitting. Always subject to change, but the idea in my head as of now is a very clean and simple (less complicated) deck layout, one big hatch forward, open cockpit, small storage or crustacean well on the stern, and powered by a 50-70hp tiller. Home is 10 minutes from the 10k islands, and I think running the beach for tarpon, trap lines for tripletail, or sneaking up on backcountry reds and snook will be well within the capabilities of the skiff.

I am a relative newbie when it comes to working with fiberglass, though I have been around boats my whole (short 27yr) life. I like to think of myself as quite handy, able to make things albeit not pretty, so this will be a fun test and learning experience.

This is my prospective shopping list
Shelter logic shelter - ideally will house the skiff when its all finished, so dont mind buying a "fancy" one
10 sheets 3/4" carbon core - Fiberglass Discount Store in Tampa
3 sheets 1/2" carbon core - FDS in Tpa
15 gal vinylester resin - US Composites
125ydx50" 10oz glass - USC
10ydx50" 7oz glass - USC
10lb Cabosil - USC
10lb microbaloons - USC
Brushes/rollers/gloves/respirator cartridges - wherever is cheapest
Big azz fan to keep things cool

Will be building in my back yard, and had the bright idea of trying to create a work station from a flat deck trailer. Keeps things elevated from the water, plus checks two boxes as it will be a good transporter for the next project, 70's era F100. Just dont know if the cost matches what it would actually accomplish... I think I could build a 8x24 elevated deck for around 750 bucks too.

May be getting ahead of myself here, but made an IG for it too - SWFL_BerylliumBuild

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
What is the 1/2” core for ?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Ah gotchya - havent bought the plans yet so I will find out when I do and report back

Was under the impression that it was used for areas like spray rails, but will also find out when I buy the plans.
10-4. CSM has a binder that holds all the strands together. Typically does not work with epoxy but should be fine with VE.

Many of us building the Conchfish modified our stations so that we could use 3/4” core on the spray rails. It’s an easy mod.

Reactions: SWFL_Gheenoe

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10-4. CSM has a binder that holds all the strands together. Typically does not work with epoxy but should be fine with VE.

Many of us building the Conchfish modified our stations so that we could use 3/4” core on the spray rails. It’s an easy mod.
Learning more by the minute.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Will be following along and help where I can. Also, I have a ‘73 and ‘74 F-100 that I may be willing to part with!😉

·
I Love microskiff.com!
192 Posts
For Poly, Chris specs 1.5oz csm prior to layers of 10oz cloth. I am no expert but the way I understand it is that poly (and some vinylester) resins do not have the physical properties to bond substantially enough to core without csm. Csm is comprised of fiberglass strands going in infinite directions all bonded together with a binder that breaks down when MEKP is introduced. The Csm helps bond your next layers to your core.

I used an epoxy based vinylester for some parts of my skiff without using csm as a base layer and did not have any issues with lamination but I only did this when my base layers were 1208 biax which has a 3/4oz csm stitching.

·
Registered
Chris Morejohn 17’ Beryllium
67 Posts
Following **** good luck with the build. If your mildly handy you should be fine. Plenty of guys on here and IG willing to help and answer questions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plans have been purchased.
Going to try and get to Home Depot today to start building the foundation for my back yard. Thinking a slightly raised 8'x24' "deck" should do, and allow for a shelter to be placed overtop of it, and able to work around the boat without falling off.
Next step will be building the strongback - Ill take any suggestions on materials and methods used!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shelter has been bought - Went with a 28'x12' setup, fingers crossed that it lasts long enough to use it as a boathouse afterwards! Should be here beginning of March.

I will be getting CNC station work done by @jglidden, starting to get ducks in a row to acquire materials over the next few weeks so I can go guns blazing when I pickup the stations.
92% sure I will do the rounded transom, and no tunnel on this one... Could always add one later right?! :D

I have thought more about the vinylester/epoxy choice, I think epoxy might actually be right for me just due to the cost that I will be putting into the boat, and it being a relatively negligible increase - fortunately still have time to debate this one. Will buy materials once I get the hull laid out.

Also thinking I will go with all 3/4" carboncore, jglidden said he can adjust the stations to work with that dimension where 1/2" was planned. - planning on getting 10 sheets for the first run.

Objections so far?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Call Carbon-Core now as I know they were backordered.
Start stocking up on latex/nitrile gloves now (if you can find some)
Double glove when spreading resin so it easier to put on a fresh glove
Don't let your A.D.D. kick in while mixing resin and hardener
Use actual tongue depressors and not popsicle sticks from Hobby Lobby to mix your resin

I'm sure I'll remember more things I learned the hard way after I post this

1 - 20 of 42 Posts