Swapping treble hooks for singles

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Hardluk81, Nov 26, 2016.

1. krash

krash Well-Known Member

Was changing out a couple today, recently purchased a couple new packages of the VMC inlines, they were in different package more like the Owners instead of the hard blister like pack they previously ones I had were in. It appears they have also change the style a little bit, the ring is more like the Owner as well...

Question to you guy who do change out hooks, what brand/style split ring pliers do you use, like, dislike ? I've tried several brands and sizes.
    I just can't find a pair that works well for the size lures we all use inshore fishing. Always end up with hook point, pliers point, or split-rin stuck in my fingers.

2. Zika

Zika I Love microskiff.com!

I've had a pair of Texas Tackle split ring pliers for years and they've worked great for swapping out hooks/split rings.

Have also tried the VMC in-line hooks and changed out a few plugs with trebles like on my Skitter Walks. I'm still not sure whether I like them or not. Rapala is using singles for all the new saltwater plugs like the Twitchin' Mullets though and the hooks are pretty durable.

3. Ron_D

Ron_D I Love microskiff.com!

Texas Rackle Executive Split ring pliers

4. krash

krash Well-Known Member

Was checking out the TT sprit wing pryers... whats different or better with the executive vs standard version of these pliers... looks like executive does not have the foam/rubber coating and would be slippery if yer hands was wet.

5. Zika

Zika I Love microskiff.com!

Had mine so long they were the only version available. Mine have red rubber coating on the handles. Sure grip but I do most of my rigging in my home office, so don't have to worry about wet or fish slime.

6. Ron_D

Ron_D I Love microskiff.com!

They are smaller and work for smaller split rings. I have used them for sizes 4-2/0 without issue for years. Never had a problem using them without the rubber coating.

krash likes this.