Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Suzuki Water Jacket Question

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Rollbar 
#1 ·
I am considering a Suzuki for my Ankona 17 build that I'm looking real close but still at the 90% of pulling the trigger on this boat with some research left.
-Other motors are the Tohatsu and Yamaha, all in the 40hp ratings.

-In regards to the Suzuki, these comments were told to me (comments quoted below) and I just wanted to check with those who know more about this issue if any.
-I have never owned a 4Stroke so I don't know anything about these motors.
-Question has arose about the internals of the Suzuki's water jackets rusting out and the statements below were given to me in consideration of selecting a motor.

Zuke will be slowest, but best fuel but at that size it wont even matter.. The Tohatsu would be my go to, performance imo is better than all plus great warranty.
Suzuki has a life expectancy of around 7 years because they're corrosion prevention is lacking, this comes from a dealers mouth and I bought two and in three years it started overheating due to the water jacket rotting out from the inside . This happen to me twice before the dealer told me about the problem and warranty don't cover it. Yamaha is the Only way to go my opinion.
-Now as for the last statement I asked how long ago did the person own those Suzuki's, no answer yet.

-Note: In no way shape or form am I discrediting their statements to be non-factual, just trying to do some more research before I commit to a build w/said motor, or motors.

Thanks for the help,
JB

See less See more
#4 ·
Here is my opinion...
They will all rot out in no time if the owner doesn’t take proper care period! The aluminum today is nothing like it used to be!

As far as the Zuke being the slowest, I am gonna have to call BS on that!

In my opinion, and I hold certifications in all major brands... the Zuke will be the most reliable and smoothest running while being the most fuel efficient. The Yamaha will hold it’s resale value better thanks to good marketing! Not because they are the best, not that they are bad either.

TheTohatsu comes in last for me of these choices.

#5 ·
Here is my opinion...
They will all rot out in no time if the owner doesn’t take proper care period! The aluminum today is nothing like it used to be!

As far as the Zuke being the slowest, I am gonna have to call BS on that!

In my opinion, and I hold certifications in all major brands... the Zuke will be the most reliable and smoothest running while being the most fuel efficient. The Yamaha will hold it’s resale value better thanks to good marketing! Not because they are the best, not that they are bad either.

TheTohatsu comes in last for me of these choices.
Thank you very much.
I too agree about maintenance etc and some say to use Salt-Away to help.
I think I'll stick with the Suzuki just because of the timing chain and not having to worry about a belt etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.