suzuki efi 20 wiring issues

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Edfish, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Edfish

Edfish I Love microskiff.com!

Has anyone else had issues with the wiring/harnesses of their newer Suzuki?
    I have an 18 month old manual start DF20A. I ran to a spot the other day and couldn't turn off the engine with the kill switch. I removed the cowling and found the negative wire leading from the kill switch no longer attached to the harness, it was broken. It appeared severed, no corrosion, no sign of any animal-related trauma, etc. I did not remove the cowling between the last trip, when it worked, and this trip, when it didn't, so I don't think there is any way I accidentally "snagged" the wire. I know motors vibrate, but to me it seems unlikely that vibration could have caused this.

Last year a different wire in the harness went, and that one left me stranded. The entire harness was replaced courtesy of Suzuki's warranty, and I have had no problems since then until now. That wire appeared severed, same as the current problem.

This time it was an easy diagnosis, and the motor still ran to get home, but I'm concerned about which wires will go next. I dropped it off at the mechanic today, and didn't think to take a pic before. I'll update when I hear from them what Suzuki will do about it. In the mean time, curious if anyone has seen something like this happen before.

2. Edfish

An update from the mechanic: A second wire broke while he was working with it. The mechanic said it "fell apart in his hands" at the pin while he was checking it. He can find no reason why the wires are breaking, and the Suzuki rep he talked to said there is nothing wrong with the harness and offered no explanation as to why the wires are breaking. Apparently the Suzuki rep declined to replace the harness and asked the mechanic to just fix the broken wires.

I'm pretty unimpressed with Suzuki here. This is a 1.5 year old motor, purchased new from a dealer and under warranty, and I have had two separate issues with wires in the harness breaking--once on the original harness and once on the replaced harness. To the best of my judgement, I've done nothing wrong with the motor--no modifications, no accidents, only taken to certified Suzuki mechanics. I expect a warranty to be honored, and I don't think Suzuki is doing a great job of that. I'll call their CA office and see what they say and update after that.

3. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures of the broken connections?

4. Edfish

I do not, which was a mistake on my part. I may be able to stop by the mechanic's tomorrow and take some. If so, I will upload shortly thereafter.
    To my (uneducated, mechanically) eye, the wire break appeared almost clean-cut, and occurred where the wire was crimped into the connecting "pins". My speculation, which was shared by the mechanic, was that perhaps they were crimped with too much force, such that the integrity of the wire was compromised. Just a speculation, I have no idea if it is reasonable.

5. mcraft173

mcraft173 I Love microskiff.com!

I have not had any issue of this sort with my motor. Keep us posted.

6. lopakapence

lopakapence I Love microskiff.com!

As someone who has spent years designing and manufacturing wire harnesses (for aerospace vehicles) I can assure you this is a classic example of over crimp. we used to calibrate our crimp tools before use, and after xx numbers of crimps, depending on size, wire count, etc. It is doubtful that Suzuki controls their crimping process as strictly as we did, but then we were not a commercial outfit, we were government procured, were profit is not an issue, but quality and reliability was an absolute. My suggestion....replace the harness.

7. Edfish

I really appreciate the posts. Here is an update.
    I went to take pics of the wire on Wed, but the mechanic had already re-attached the wires, having found the appropriate "pins" into which the wires could be fit. This means I cannot provide photos, so kinda dumb on my part. Lesson learned, photo document first.

What the mechanic said was that Suzuki didn't want to replace the harness, but would if there were anymore issues. Given that this was the second harness in <2 years, my confidence that there will be no more issues is low, and I would have though better of Suzuki if they'd just replaced it. It seems reasonable that if some wires were crimped wrong, I assume others could be too. The one before this left me stranded, I hope the next one doesn't fail in a storm.

Since others haven't had any problems, can anyone think of something I could be inadvertently doing that might be leading to these problems?

8. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

If it were my motor it would develop more problems while being test run on the engine stand. That's just the kind of bad luck I have....