Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2019 Gheenoe LT25 2020 Suzuki 25hp
31 Posts
Vibration at low RPM that most outboards have. I think it’s more of a three cylinder issue than a prop issue.
That’s interesting. I’ve always wondered why the motor sounds like a bucket bolts while idling. I have put in gear while flushing but zero vibrations. Since my pants are down… why would that cause the camshaft to fall out of time? I thought a four cycle would be quieter and vibrate less than a two cycle. Jesus, if bolts on the cam are coming loose should I be checking torque on connecting rod bolts? Rocker arms? Lower gear case? Hell, will the damn thing fall off the back of my boat heading home at night. Is a kicker motor possible on a LT25 Gheenoe? I have questions. BTW Smackdaddy we are pretty close aren’t we. I’m in Fort Myers. Thanks for the info

· Registered
2019 Gheenoe LT25 2020 Suzuki 25hp
31 Posts
Having been a mechanic or technician all my life this has got my interest. Did a little research and found out this. It all makes sense to me
1) Using a SS prop is definitely heavier and increases the flywheel effect, rotating mass.
2) At idle speeds the prop overruns the drive shaft and causes the clutch dogs to bounce off each other. Hence the bucket of bolts noise.
3) Does not seem to affect two cycle engines.
Possibly because of the actual power pulses
being each rotation. Four strokes fire every other rotation.
Anyway that’s what I found out about the problem. Really interesting and if anyone has
more info I would love to hear about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts