Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Suzuki df30a wont idle or run above 3k RPM

782 9
My 2016 Suzuki df30a wont idle and wont run above 3k rpm at around 2500-3k the boat sounds perfectly smooth (7 mph speed). I drained the fuel water separator and it was full of a clear white sand like sediment, I replaced the separator filter and inline fuel filter. I also notice the motor gets extremely hot but pees a solid fast stream of water.

I also pulled the spark plugs and noticed a lot of black carbon build up and they were just changed in January. My fuel consumption was also really bad when I traveled home 8 miles at 2500 rpms.

I tried emptying the tank and putting fresh new gas with some seafoam with no luck.

Should I try cleaning the fuel injector next or what do you guys recommend?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Get to a Suzuki tech and find out what's actually going on... This is from a guy who has to have a motor working properly at all times... Seriously, sounds like your motor is in "SAFE" mode (or whatever the Suzuki equivalent is...) since something is seriously wrong... and needs repair...

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like you’re going into limp mode. This article might help, he found that a faulty battery switch was giving his ECU wrong data; leading to limp mode.

With your fuel issues this might not be the case but it’s certainly worth looking into. There is a very small fuel filter buried inside the vst which might be clogged. Some people have said that with this filter clogged the high pressure fuel pump can starve for fuel and put the motor into limp mode. The white sludge you had in the filters is most likely from water in the fuel, I’ve seen parts of Suzuki’s fuel system completely clogged/disintegrated from corrosion.

If you suspect the motor is running hot, check the thermostat. Pull it from the engine and sure it’s actually opening by dropping it in boiling water. If it’s peeing fine, your impeller is likely okay.

All this being said, I’m not a mechanic. Best of luck fixing your issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I also had a 2-4 CMP sensor code and it was not the sensor that failed. My suzuki Mechanic said the problem ended up being something with the bolt on the cam shaft being loose which im sure is from my stainless prop and all the chatter it makes at low RPMS. Just a heads up to anyone with prop chatter on a stainless prop. It will end up loosening internal parts! This was after 6 years of use but still not worth the extra 1mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2018 Suzuki, and had a similar experience a few months ago. Pulled the spark plugs, and they were covered with carbon as well. Changed them out, and all is well. Don’t know why, motor has less than 100 hours on it. It fixed my “limp mode” condition, worth a shot on yours? Plugs were not oil covered, just carbon. Hope this may help.

·
Registered
1648G3 w/ DF30 Suzuki
84 Posts
My 2016 Suzuki df30a wont idle and wont run above 3k rpm at around 2500-3k the boat sounds perfectly smooth (7 mph speed). I drained the fuel water separator and it was full of a clear white sand like sediment, I replaced the separator filter and inline fuel filter. I also notice the motor gets extremely hot but pees a solid fast stream of water.

I also pulled the spark plugs and noticed a lot of black carbon build up and they were just changed in January. My fuel consumption was also really bad when I traveled home 8 miles at 2500 rpms.

I tried emptying the tank and putting fresh new gas with some seafoam with no luck.

Should I try cleaning the fuel injector next or what do you guys recommend?
i recently purchased a new DF30A and I did buy the service manual for reference on items

the owner manual states say when you start the motor it should pee immediately which means to me the tell tale water we see doesn’t go through the thermostat

and the below schematic agrees

Font Material property Art Parallel Symmetry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts