Suzuki DF20 A EFI (Fuel Injected 20hp Four Stroke) Prop results

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by Skydiver, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Skydiver

Skydiver I Love microskiff.com!

I tested out a couple props on my Suzuki DF 20A EFI/ Skimmer Skiff 14 (Old IPB14) and tought I would post the results as a point of reference for others.

The engine comes stock with an aluminum 10 pitch 9.25" prop. With two in the boat and gear, I was getting 24 MPH top speed by GPS with no tabs or hydrofoil. With the 10 pitch prop I occasionally hit the rev limiter and the engine sounded like it was spinning a LOT of RPMs (I don't have a tach).

I switched to a Solas aluminum 11 pitch 9.25" prop with the same two guys in the boat, I was getting 25 MPH by GPS. I never hit the revlimiter and the engine sounds like its turning slightly fewer RPMs.

Today I was out by myself. I installed a Marine Dynamics Stinray XRIII Hydrofoil. I got a top speed of 26 MPH by GPS and the boat gets on plane much quicker. :cool:

2. mcraft173

mcraft173 I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for sharing. I've got a new ride with this motor on the way.

3. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

I'll toss in my 2 cents. I have this motor on my modified, heavy highsider with stick steer from the center seat and a 17" raised transom. Stock 10 pitch @ 6150 rpms 23.8 mph with some throttle left. WOT I hit the rev limiter  bouncing up to 6400 rpms and 24 mph.

I got 12 pitch Suzuki prop the other day and ran it in the river. I consistently got 24.6mph up river @ 5800rpms WOT. Started back downriver and was seeing up to 26mph and 5800 rpms but I hit a log and broke the prop before I could get a good idea of speed. Even though this prop has a Suzuki part number its stamped different and the blades are thinner than the stock prop.

I think I need a 11 pitch to get the most out of it and may get a stainless prop for something more durable to replace the broken one. I might actually need a 10 pitch in the stainless since it will flex less. I'm considering a Solas Saturn or a Powertech srt3.

4. flyfshrmn82

flyfshrmn82 Well-Known Member

I have a PT 4blade 11P (SRT4R11P-SZ15) on the same engine pushing a modified-heavy hi-sider. I have an electric jackplate and Strongarm Hydroplane. I consistently get 24mph with two 200lb guys and gear. I need to have it cupped a little bit more sothat I can run it up a another inch or two on the jackplate. Very impressed with the engine.

5. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

Flyfshrmn do you have to use a spacer with the powertech prop? Do you know your rpms at WOT?

6. flyfshrmn82

I did have to use a spacer with the PT prop. I can't give you a simple answer to the RMP question. I have a tiny tac and an electric jackplate. While running I first position the jackplate most of the way down so that I am not cavitating. Once on plane I begin to jack the motor up to where I am running in the 5200-5400RPM range (usually around halfway up). My plan is to have the prop cupped a little more so that I can run the jackplate a little higher.

7. gillz

gillz Well-Known Member

I thought 6300 was the top before  the limiter kicks in. I was thinking you should be able to notch it up a bit and get closer to that 6300# and pick up a little more speed or does it just slip after you get the jack plate about half way.

8. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

he may be blowing out a little more cup could let him run skinnier.

I ordered a powetech srt3 11 pitch today. Can't wait to see what it'll do.

9. Skydiver

That is a 9.5" dia prop instead of a 9.25" correct? Post up your results, I will be interested to hear. :cool:

10. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

Yep 9.5x11 will do.

11. jldriver

jldriver I Love microskiff.com!

That's the prop I settled on after running the boat and talking with PowerTech...never took the leap and actually ordered the prop though. I'll also be interested to hear how it performs!

12. flyfshrmn82

I usually try to keep it around 5500rpms. Once I get close to that 1/2 Mark on my jackplate I'm on the verge of blowing out. A little cup will fix that. I also run with strongarms hydroplane which made a big difference in holeshot and gave me about 1.5mph over the stingray Jr.

13. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

Ran the boat with my wife for the first time today fully loaded down with gear with the stock 10 pitch WOT was 6180 rpms no gps with me though.

I fish solo most of the time so I'm hoping the 11 pitch will be spot on.

14. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay got the stainless prop last week and put it on only to realize my propshaft was bent. I ordered a new propshaft and it got here yesterday. I installed it this morning and ran out to Murvaul for a quick test. I can run 25.5 mph consistently and 25.8 mph on glassy smooth water. @ WOT I ranged from 5683-5727 RPMs so I really need the 10 pitch in this prop for Ideal performance. I'm happy enough with it as it is. Going fishing with a buddy next week so I'll see how it does with about 600lbs of persons and gear. As long as its above 5300 rpms WOT I wont complain.

MY three props.
    [​IMG]
    Suzuki 10 pitch stock, Powertech SRT3 11 pitch, Busted Suzuki 12 pitch

This is my rig.
    [​IMG]

15. flyfshrmn82

16. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

We did not go. Still happy with the prop solo.

17. flyfshrmn82

I added a little cup in my prop a couple weeks ago and finally got to run it this weekend.  I saw a brief period of 26.4 but an average speed around 25.8.  I was running solo but the boat is heavier than most (I'm willing to sall "all") hi-siders.  I used to run a yamaha 15 2stroke.

[​IMG] 

[​IMG] 

18. Skydiver

I added a Powertech SRT3 10 pitch, 26 MPH with just me and gear. No tach but didn't hit the rev limited and the RPMs sound ok.

19. bermuda

bermuda Well-Known Member

Hi - is the prop noisy at idle?  Just asking because the stainless props are super noisy with prop chatter at idle on the new suzuki 25 motors. Still trying to get my boat propped right lol.

20. Skydiver

No, not that I have noticed.